Check your filters lol

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mikem417, Feb 12, 2019.

1. So a lot of you probably do this already, but if not...

I started my grow January 1st with brand new equipment. My temps in my tents have been running a little hot lately and I had tried all kinds of things to bring them down... extra fans, in-line fans, cool mist humidifiers... they would help with a degree or two. Just a little bit ago I was moving my lights around and bumped my carbon filter hanging in my tent. When the strap moved I noticed how crazy dirty my cloth cover was, after a little over a month. So clogged it was barely taking air in.

I took the cloth off to wash it and it instantly brought my temps down almost 5 degrees and brought back that good ol negative pressure that dwindled on me.

Anyways, lots of new growers like myself on here, and many have posted heat issues. So if you’re not checking that cloth filter from time to time.. you should.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Oh wow really? Could you see the buildup from the outside? Or did you have to remove the whole fixture? I’m a month in my first grow, you would think the filters would last longer than a month!

3. Lessoned learned so today was a good day lol

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

4. Better check it

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

5. I didn’t really notice it until the strap holding it up shifted. Then it was like a bright white strip on a beige cloth. Not very noticeable when it gradually gets dirty, but move your strap over and check it lol. The filter itself looked nice and clean as did the inside of the cloth. The outside was so thick it was almost sticky. I washed them
    And have them air drying so they don’t shrink. They will go back on in the morning and I’ll start washing them every 2 or 3 weeks

6. Smart, ill move my string next time i go in there, mines hanging and connected to the air cooled hood. Pain in the ass to take down.

7. I'm not sure if your filter has the same sponge/foamy thing as mine, but you can get replacement ones cheap.
    $9 at walmart gets you enough for 4-6 replacements depending on filter size.

Look up "Quilt Batting" and you will see what i'm talking about.
    I usually replace mine every 6mo

• Like Like x 1
  8. I hoover my 14inch filter with the hose attachment and wipe clean with a damp cloth after every grow its grimey.

9. It is because of your cool mist humidifier.

Did you notice white powdery stuff? It would be in your circulation fans aswell. I have black fans so it's really easy to see it in mine..

Normal tap water is "hard" which means that there is a lot of minerals and impurities in it. Fine mist humidifiers will shoot all that shit out in the form of a white powder and ot will accumulate on any type of air moving device ( inline, fan, intake...) fibrous materials ( look at your rope ratchet black rope or the material by the zipper inside the tent)

High humidity in general 70%+ can kill carbon filters, they will become saturated and can get completely clogged, I've learned the hard way..

10. They can be dried out..

11. Mine from last night lmao! That’s from feb/March 2018

That’s just prefilter to keep junk from going in carbon filter. CrAzy tho. Idk how I didn’t notice it.

Attached Files:

12. The pre filter hes on about tho theres another way to not have to check your prefilter on ypur carbon filter

Use hepa filters on any intaoe passive or active tho i dont recomend active intakes tbh. But if ya do put a hepa on it if you think what on your pre filter for your carbon think whats onnypur buds

13. Use filtered or ro and you humidifier will last longer or ypu can use the distilled water from the dehumidifier

14. It's not the longevity of the humidifier I care about.. it's the mineral powder all over my tent. Either way what you suggested will work. Ro and distilled has no minerals, filtered does it's best to remove what it can. I didnt even think of dehumidifier water.. honestly I have a huge massive rain barrel in my basement I havent set up outside .. maybe I'll set that up as the drip catcher for my dehumidifier through the summer and fill my humidifier with it through the winter.. free distilled water for the humidifier...