Cheapo Cfl Grow 3X Green-O-Matic (60 Day From Seed To Flower)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Goombaya, May 29, 2013.

1. #1 Goombaya, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
    Goomba's 3x Green-O-Matic Autoflower CFL Stealth Grow

Hi everyone. This is a grow I'm running in addition to my first grow which is not yet harvested, Autoflowering Northern Lights from Nirvana with CFL's. If you're interested in that journal, please visit my profile.

My criterion in determining my chosen strain was:

- Cheap
    - Small and stealthy with reasonable yield.
    - Fast

Green-o-matics are indica dominant autoflowering dwarfs with an advertised lifespan of  8 weeks (seed-harvest) so I assume I will run 9-10 weeks.

Here is my setup so far. Oh yeah, and a disclaimer that I'm not a pro or anything, this is my second grow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Materials mostly come from dollar tree and Walmart. I am poor, this is a key factor, lol.

Material List:

- 1x large plastic bin with lid $15.00 from Walmart
    - 3x 1 gallon smart pots from Amazon, $5 each.
    - 3x 45 watt 6500k + 3x 35 watt 6500k for flowering, totalling about 250 watts across 3 plants.
    - 5x Car reflector shiny foil things, from dollar tree. $1 each
    - 1x roll of masking tape, 1x roll of ductape, both $1 each at dollar tree.
    - 2x ziplock bag, bought a whole box for $1 from dollar tree.
    - Travel suitcase packing cables (bungee cables) $1 for a pack of 3 from dollar tree.
    - 45 feet of copper wire from Walmart $2
    - Zipties $1 Dollar tree a bag
    - Ducting $5 at Walmart
    - 2x PC fans with additional cables and power source $30 from Amazon
    - 1x box of office clips, the big black painful ones. $1 at dollar tree.

Total cost about $127 to build about.

The plastic bin is about 3 feet wide, just perfect for my 2 gallon smart pots. I chose smart pots because I've read great information about how they help root growth. Look them up if you're interested. I also wanted pots that were made of a soft material in case the growbox was too small and I had to squash them a little bit. I then lined the inside of the box and the lid with the car heat reflectors, and cut holes for fans. I made a Scog with copper wire above the pots which will be used for training. The Scrog is attached to the grow box directly, not the pots, but this is unavoidable because the pots aren't rigid. I then fastened the bungee cables at the very top of the growbox so that they can be used for bulb positioning. I've fastened my bulbs to the bungee cables with zip ties and office clips.

Since the ducting was not the right size for the PC fan, I zip-tied ziplock bags over the connecting end of the duct, then cut a hole in the ziplock wide enough for it to fit over the fan, where I then ductaped it.  

Right now the bulbs are almost resting on the Scrog. I'll keep them there until they need to be raised then suspend them directly from the bungee cables. Hope everyone enjoys grow.

Seeds arrived today and are germing in paper towels under a warm light. Hopefully will plant tomorrow. They will go straight into their final pot as autoflowers don't like being transplanted.

2. looks good!

3. Just an update. Seeds have germed and showing small taproots. Will place them in pots after 6 hours.

4. #4 Goombaya, Jun 1, 2013
    Week 1 Day 1

24 hours after planting, all of them have sprouted. They seemed to grow faster when I turned the CFL's on, probably from the heat. 

Exterior of Growbox
    [​IMG]

Interior arrangement
    [​IMG]

Middle Baby. Seems to have some seed casing on it's head. Hopefully it'll pop off itself.
    [​IMG]

Right baby. Last to sprout but no seed casing remaining.
    [​IMG]

Left baby. This guy still has seed casing on his head. I may have to help remove it tomorrow. Any advice on when and how to do this? They were planted 32 hours ago from the time of this posting.
    [​IMG]

Standby for regular daily updates!

5. #5 Goombaya, Jun 2, 2013
    Week 1 Day 2

I've had to help two of the sprouts pop off their seed shells. This morning I gently stroked the seed casing of the left plant and it slid off smoothly and the leaves emerged. Beautiful! The middle sprout wasn't so easy. I tried the same thing in the morning with no luck. Over the course of the morning and afternoon I kept misting the little sprout and keeping it moist. Then, towards evening I tried again and after 15 minutes it finally came off. Chipping slowly away at it until it gave, it slid off smoothly at last. Now for pictures! (Note: Henceforth I will be naming my plants so they are easier to identify)

(Left Plant) "Dumbo,"so named because he still had a seed helmet after sprouting. 
    [​IMG]

(Middle Plant) "Bastard." Named because it was really annoying getting the seed casing off him.
    [​IMG]

(Right Plant) "Asian." Named because even though his taproot was the shortest when he was planted, he sprouted perfectly without issues and is now growing the fastest.
    [​IMG]

6. Right on brutha!! Not a dang thimg wrong with a poor mans grow :lol: Thats pretty much what mine is too!! Looked through your other grow and by the looks of it, you'll be doing a-ok on this one too.
    ;)

7. Week 1 Day 3

Nothing more to add other than the babies have filled out substantially. I have adjusted the lights on Asian since he seemed to be stretching. Should resolve the issue.

Asian
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

8. Week 1 Day 5

Exceptional growth on all babies! I am watering once a day with half a gallon for all 3. I'm watering more regularly than usual because smart pots dry out quicker than normal ones. Here are pics!

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

9. #9 Goombaya, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    Week 1 Day 6

Exceptional growth on Bastard today.

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian (no his leaf is not damaged, its just taken at a weird angle)
    [​IMG]

10. Week 1 Day 7

Dumbo still working on his second set of full leaves but the other two are working on their third and fourth pair. He should be done by tomorrow.

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

11. #11 Goombaya, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
    Week 2 Day 1

I upped the total wattage in the box by about 50. Seems to have helped as in just a couple hours the leaves seems longer and fuller. Plants seem to be catching up with each other now. According to seed company, these should start flowering after 1 more week from today.

Asian
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

12. #12 Goombaya, Jun 10, 2013
    Week 2 Day 2

Landlord did an inspection today. Luckily, this was a stealth grow and not the slightest suspicions were aroused. Not that it would matter. I'm in a legal state anyway. The plants have grown exceptionally today. I rearranged the lights above Asian so he would get more direct light and he would grow straighter. Looks like they really will flower in 2 weeks as they are a lot further along than most strains I know of that are only 9 days from sprout. Watered with half teaspoon molasses today. Here they are!

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

13. #13 Goombaya, Jun 11, 2013
    Week 2 Day 3

All plants are straight and healthy. 4 days until flower!

Asian
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

14. #14 Goombaya, Jun 13, 2013
    Week 2 Day 5

This strain certainly lives up to its reputation. The babies are growing at a phenomenal rate. I have been watering with molasses almost every watering -- no problems so far. I think I will continue that regimen as I heard it improves overall flavor. In two days I will be switching to half flowering lights. The week after that I will switch to full flowering lights and add slight nutes.

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

The little guy is catching up!

Brothers and Sisters
    [​IMG]

15. #15 b.real, Jun 13, 2013
    beautiful man! you are in fox farms again? it feed for 4 weeks, so no worries.

not sure that screen is going to do much. they holes have to be small so the plant grows all viney through them. you can always use the screen to lst them though.

this should be a great grow

16. Week 2 Day 6

Not much to report today, other than they are now the width of the pot! Yay! Beautiful.

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

Family Picture
    [​IMG]

17. Week 3 Day 1

The babies have officially started flowering. Changed to approximately 50% 2700k lights. Will switch out to fully 2700k lights next week. Here are the girls.

Dumbo
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Asian
    [​IMG]

Family
    [​IMG]

18. #18 b.real, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    right, this is very nice. asian looks like a bomb seeds strain

just got home, my outdoor garden looks GREAT. real sun is awesome

im gonna pop two more blackout kush seeds cause of you. maybe some of these random bagseeds i got too hmm..high decisions lol

lol why you gonna pop two more seeds because of me?

The strains are all from Greenhouse seeds.

20. Week 3 Day 6

Unbelievable amount of growth in the last few days. Asian and Dumbo are well into flowering. Bastard suffered some sort of burn or deficiency a day after the last pictures were taken. The yellow spots that you see in the picture now were initially pale green. So far it doesn't seem to have progressed though, but Bastard is still smallest out of all the plants. No biggie.

Asian
    [​IMG]

Bastard
    [​IMG]

Dumbo
    [​IMG]