Cheapish HP performance/appearance boosts?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by daTrueSasquatch, Aug 6, 2011.

1. But... intake is usually the best mod for the money. That's a solid 10 HP. But I'm talkin SRI.

2. These stoners have been brainwashed into thinking that ALL cold air intakes are garbage. NO MATTER WHAT model, they think they are junk. .

I put one on my 98 cherokee and I gained over 30 whp. . . Over 65 with ceramic headers and a 3'' no cat system. . . .

That was back when K&N systems where under 200.00 bones haha.

3. Exhaust is hands down the best modification for most factory engines.

4. stickers add horse power in the ricer world. or do a real favor and drop a 350v8 in there

5. /this

Most cars already come from the factory with a pretty good intake. You can replace the stock paper filter with a K&N, but most CAI's aren't that useful unless you plane on also supercharging the car and giving it something to do with all that extra air.

The reason why exhaust helps so much is because the stock exhaust on most cars actually ISN'T meant for performance or even fuel economy. It's meant to be quite and pass emissions. As a result it usually contains a restrictive baffled muffler and more catalytic converters than it really needs. In reality you can get by just fine with 1 high flow cat(or 2 for a dual exhaust v8) and a straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Usually you'll pick up 5-15 hp depending on the engine/car and a bit of fuel economy. You can further improve the car by getting rid of the cheaply made stock manifold and giving the car a nice set of headers with a full aftermarket exhaust setup after them.

When I put headers/full 2.5 inch high flow exhaust on my car with a v8 the difference compared to stock was like night and day. The car runs better imo and picked up a noticeable amount of power and about 1 mpg better fuel economy. Also who doesn't love a nice neighborhood rattling rumble whenever you push the pedal?

6. Show me a rsx that has gained 10hp from a sri or cai. None... You'll be lucky to get 1hp. Seriously flash Kpro cheapest way for power here.

7. he has an rsx which has a small engine bay plus his car is fwd.... you will have to cut up the car to put a v8 in there.

8. any thing is possible. and just imagine how fun it would be with a real motor in it.

9. of course anything is possible. It just will cost the op an arm and a leg in the process.

10. yeah might as well buy a brand new car unless you really want that sleeper feel and look.

11. only civic i would ever drive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DudjNvnsfKE]Travis In the Civette! - YouTube[/ame]

12. #52 Keifer Suthrlnd, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  13. So you are saying a 4 banger civic has the power of a v8 civic? Basic addition says you are wrong:rolleyes:

14. #54 GoneWithTheWeed, Aug 27, 2011
    Iam sure there are built k20 hondas that would walk it out on the civette and no iam not bashing v8s I own a couple and a rotary just my honest opinion

15. i have ate just about every "high performance" import around here in my s10 and all that has is a 350. every import has been turboed and every bolt on

16. #56 GoneWithTheWeed, Aug 28, 2011
    Damn those turbo kias and daewoos with every bolt on!

17. Hhhhmmmm , seems some folks have missed a few things worth considering. Me?
    Well I'm not real big on fartcan mufflers and sixfoot usless wings , what some of
    you guys have never heard of the concept of a " Q Ship" or a " Sleeper"?

See to your drivetrain and launch process first , worry about useless gewgaws
    later , a benefit is that a car that looks much like an average "commuter" car
    draws less heat from law enforcement.

And it frost peoples minds if their " tuner car " gets it's lunch eaten by " Mom's ride"

Get used to spending money to build any Honda based car though , and if you intend
    to attempt to run with the V8s don't complain when you break a lot of stuff.....with
    regularity.

And you folks who put down the Japanese cars....." I've never been beaten by one"
    never say never , you might get rudely surprised at some point.

And "chop up a fwd car to put a V8 in it"......say what? Why do a conversion the
    why not do an RX7 , Miata or S2000 and save yourself a whole lot of headaches.

18. I could say the same about every Small Block Chevy powered ride that has run up
    against either of my current Mopars.

What did you do for traction help on that S-10 , I've done a couple of them , they're
    pretty hard to get hooked up , ladder bars and minitubs being the cheapest way to go
    if you can stand the ride , a 4 link setup is trick but more money.

19. #59 GoneWithTheWeed, Aug 28, 2011
    No v8 swaps in rx7s thats murder, you can make more power with a rotary cheaper then a v8 swap.

20. I've seen some clean swaps over the years , and i'd have to disagree on the
    power factor , beyond a certain mark anything can tie up a buncha money.