Cheapest set up possible. Can I use these Walmart grow lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mjordon76, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Nahh you dont need to worry about light leaks until flowering time

Also i would reccomend rolling with the cheap seeds you got goin so then you can get the basics for growing down and before investing in good genetics make sure you can keep one alive, i killed many a plant before gettin one to stay alive

2. Definitely grow those first. I'm on my third grow and the first one was a disaster. The second went really well until I ran out of light and heat stressed the poor girl. Then to top it off, I harvested about two weeks too early. It's better to walk before you run in this. Buy good seeds later after you mess up and learn from it.

3. True! I still have like 80 of thorn seeds so that’s what I shall do. Trial an error. Thanks for all the advice.

4. I cant believe wish had seeds on there though that shits funny

5. Any light not being used is wasted.. in my opinion i think you should probably use the light sideways with a hood.. might reflect more of it down towards the plant & not the roof of ur box..

You dont really need to seal it right now but for flowering youll definitely wanna seal it off.. when you flip the switch 12hrs light 12 hrs no light means absolutely no light during off hrs.. not even a slither.. it can hermie or delay flowering to ur plant..

Hope this helped!!

6. Gyo seeds sells one seed at a time & so does additude seeds.. just 2 name a few.. & you get freebies with every purchase

Hope this helped!!

7. Lol! 100 free seeds just pay tax. And yes everyone’s input helps. I will keep everyone posted? How many plants you guys think I could get away with my box is not to big? I’ll try to post measurements soon.

8. Haha thats not a bad deal gotta start somewhere, as far as the box goes go with either one good sized plant or 2 small plants, or even better yet get yourself another box and have one box for veg and one for flower then youll be able to get a rotation going thay way youll always have some personal smoke

9. So, at 10,000 lm, this is approximately the equivalent of one tenth of a 1000 watt HPS?

11. This has had me confused from the start. If a light says 500watts 100 actual watts. What do you go by? Reason: just want to make sure my fixture can withstand the light? And I’m just trying to grow 1 or 2 plants.

12. The light comparisons relate to how much light you would get from incandescent bulbs using the higher wattage. Basically that light you have gives off the same amount of lumens as 500W of incandescent lights while only using 100w. As it only uses 100 actual watts it should be fine to use in almost any light fixture. If you are going to mount it horizontally you should rig up something to hold it up at the top end so the base doesn't break off from the weight. Drill a couple of small holes in the reflector and run some baling wire around the end of the bulb and thru the holes to hold it up. I broke a $50 105w CFL bulb a few years back that way.

If you have a reflector made for HID lights with a big mogul socket in it you can get a screw in adapter to hold a standard bulb. I got one at Home Hardware for $5.

I found a great spot to download FREE POT BOOKS. I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more. Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here. No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as some are 50+ megs. They got lots. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I veg under 160w of cfls, so I imagine that bulb will do fine. Like others said... Mount it sideways or you're going to be directing the light side to side rather than down. A reflector would help but if the top of your box was done the same as the sides, that will do for now... Just gotta get the socket sideways.

I recommend reading thru this forum and others about LST. It's a great way to get more good bud than a normal Christmas tree plant in a small setup. I got two in flower right now. One I just switched a week ago (the one in the pic ^), the other about 8 weeks into ago. I used LST on both and I'm pleased with the results. Just my 2¢.

Good luck on the grow. If it's like my first one was, you'll damn near kill them but just search and read around these boards. Good, knowledgeable folks around here. They saved my last two grows!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. If using CFLs just make little hoods out of tinfoil and strap them right on the backs of the bulbs with twist ties to get maximum light reflection to the plants. I use that heavy duty foil for BBQs with the shiny side against the bulbs.

LST or Scrog is important to keep the canopy as level as possible with CFLs as they lose intensity just a few inches from the plants. I only use fluoros in early veg and have them as close as an inch from the tops to prevent stretching. Once they are about 4" tall they go under a 400w MH.

15. I wish I would've thought of that. Those throw-away baking pans work good too if you use the Y adapters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thx!!! This is going to be very useful!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disposable baking pans are great for this purpose.

Edit: just saw that it had already been mentioned

18. I got some of those round tinfoil covers you put under the elements on your stove to catch crud and they can be bent into a cone shape to make a crude hood for bulbs hung vertically too. Set of four for a buck at the local bargain store.

Hell I still use my old bank of 8 - 4' T12 fluoro tubes I made back in '01 to veg plants with. Wired it so I can use 2,4,6 or all 8 tubes but then It's using 360w so might as well fire up a 400w MH and get a lot more light for 40w extra.

Just screwed the end sockets to a sheet of plywood so I could have the bulbs closer together. It has tinfoil behind the tubes now.

T-12s02.JPG
    Ugly mess on the backside.

T-12s03.JPG
    This LED rig I built last year is a lot prettier and works fairly well tho I wish I could get bulbs at 6400K instead of the 5000K that seems to be the bluest available. I have 11 - 9w bulbs in there so it only pulls 99w.

I used bathroom vanity fixtures I got at the thrift store for a couple bux each and some aluminum angle iron to hold them all together at 6" centers between each bulb.

LEDFinish05.jpg

Back view.

LEDFinish02.jpg

I put an 85w CFL in the middle for extra power but it's 5000K as well. Hung another fixture on the end with one extra bulb for a little more.

LEDsetup11041804.jpg

19. SWEET!!! That is BADASS!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. I wonderif they would make it to NZ?