Cheap/Simple CFL hood/Reflector[DIY]

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by highambitions, Nov 29, 2010.

1. #1 highambitions, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
    hey guys heres a good idea ive incorporated into my setup. Built with cheap materials, and quite noticeably effective.

Materials:

1. Depending on the length, 1-2 Aluminum Pasta Baking Tins.($3)
    2. Pair of sturdy scissors.(should have em already).
    3. Roll of reflective duct tape($5)
    4. Power strip(s)($ vary, you decide)
    5. Leather gloves if youre clumsy with your hands, the tin may become a flesh
    cutting blade.

I only have pics of my finished, but im sure youll have the idea.

Ok, first step. Figure out how many cfls youre using and how you wanth them plugged into the power strips.

Mine have the one socket-two socket adapters, screwed into a socket-wall outlet adapter, to the power strip.

Youll notice that theres rectangle in a rectangle pressed into the middle of the tin. this is a good guide for centering your holes for your power strip to attach.

To get the perfect hole placement, plug in your socket to outlet adapters only to the power strip. and place on the middle of the tin so you can trace the socket adapters with a sharpie.

After you have your holes traced, cut em out with your scissors or a sharp knife if you can manage it.

If using two tins like i did, youll have to overlap them a little depending on width. The more overlap the sturdier. How you do this is, cut off the end of the tin before the corners start rounding. the do the same with the other tin. You can now overlap the ends and form them to each other, and tape it up.

Otherwise, if youre just using one tin, you can go to placement from here.
    hold the power strip on one side and plug your sockets and anoy other adapters, and then your lights. you can hang this most any way you like permitting you have the space. i just used a spring loaded curtain rod, easy to adjust up or down. But anyways, if youre confused or just want the finished produce here you go. i went from one to two tins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

Hope this helped anyone lookin for cfl improvements. Thanks and lemme know what you think.

2. i love it... simple... yet effective...

3. #3 highambitions, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010

thanks man. i was lookin for something for a while for cfls and power strips. tried soda cans, thzt was a fail. and then looked for stuff i had already layin around.

EDIT: 420th post woo hoooo:yay::smoke:

4. Dollar Store has those pans for $1.00 each....

5. nice find. prices are def gonna vary becasue o get most all of my stuff from walmart because i get get most everything there and if not home depots right next door.

6. Its kind of annoying how you have to move the light every time you want to get to the plants... is there any way around that?

7. raise them up. im not sure where youre going with that lol, youd have to move any light to get to them if youre using cfls. mines just on a curtain rod so i just raise it up. my hardest thing to work around now is my scrog netting.