Cheap Seeds vs. Expensive Seeds

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by Mystic, May 25, 2007.

1. K.C. Brains Seeds and Nirvana Seeds...Anyone purchase these from Dr. Chronic before??? They are pretty cheap...is there really a difference between $100 NL seeds and $19 NL seeds? What am I missing.

So, has anyone checked out these KC Brains Seeds? I bought some Nirvana ones...seem ok. 1 seed male...1 seed female...1 seed didn't sprout. 33% isn't bad right?

What's your thoughts?

2. Never tried his stuff personally, but from lots of reading I would stay away from KC Brains. With Nirvana you will gets lots of variation from plant to plant but you can definitely find some good ones. In about the same price range I would highly recommend looking at Mandala.

3. What does everyone else think?

4. some seeds are more expensive because they've been bred and stabilized for longer, so there will be less variance in the phenotypes you get.

5. so what's you opinion of Nirvana seeds then? They seem to be a huge bank.

phenotypes...basically meaning that if you germinate 10 seeds, they would all look very similar?

6. Nirvana seeds are fine IMO. There are lots of great plants to be found in their offerings.

Phenotype are the visable characteristic differences from plant to plant amognst a given strain. Seeds take some traits from momma, and some from daddy, so each seed can have slightly different characteristics then it's sibling seed. And depending on the breeding plantss used, you can get quite a variety from a given strain, and seed pack.

Nirvana does not do much in the way of stabilizing, and isolating traits. They make f1 crosses, or knock offs, and sell the seeds. Stabilizing is done with the selection of choice phenotypes, and breeding them further, and is why some nl offerings are more money then others.. They have been bred further, and stabilized so you'd get much less phenotypical varience from a seed pack, and more specimens true to the nl look, high, potency etc..

It doesn't mean nirvana seeds are bad, just cheaper as not much breedings went into choosing the best phenotypes, and further breedings to isolate these traits, and make them more likely.

On another note a good portion todays "elite" cuts/strains were found in cheaper sensi or similar company seed packs, so sometimes phenotype varience is welcome, and you can find something really special from time to time... My purple nirvana PPP is an example

7. I have a really nice Nirvana Blue Mystic growing right now...and it looks to be coming along nicely. don't know overall quality yet, but I have 3 clones started thus far.

Question...

If I had $50 american to spend on one strain what would you suggest?

If I had $100 american...same question?

I'm looking for a strain that will have a good head high, that I can go to work with...not keep me on the couch.

Thanks!

8. I have bought nirvana and Mandala from the Doc.
    i would recomend Mandala's strains over Nirvanas.

much more consistent product.

jmho
    peace
    wwonka

9. Wouldnt the cheap purchased seeds still be better than the bag seeds we buy on the streets?

10. Yes it would be...typically. But some of us have access to pretty decent seeds, so it's hard to say.

I have to add as well that I've grown now expensive seeds and non expensive and I can say thus far, no difference for me.

11. Wow this was a very interesting read. I now have a better understanding for phenotypes in seeds.

12. generally, nirvana strains get rated around the same level as more exdpensive strains, but they ARE hybridized with other strains like skunk #1 & i think northern lights #5. one review i read for white rhino called it the best the grower ever smoked.

i know my cheap sativa seedbank mixed sativa beans (tiny critters) took a few extra days to root, but once they took off, were EXTREMELY vigerous.

as to KC brains, i've yet to hear a good thing about him. recently a grasscity member bought something like 5 or 6 bags of KC brains and didn't get a single plant.

cheack reviews out at the old OG guide
    http://pokernaut.googlepages.com/ganjalinks
    there are a couple other good review sites there too but i have just 1 min

13. i have minimal growing experience, but what i can say is that the one white widow from nirvana that i grew was amazing. was it what a ww is "supposed" to be? i don't know, but it was definitely COVERED in trichs (and amazingly potent). take this advice from someone who has grown only once....but i would LOVE to get another plant like that the next time i grow.

http://www.weedfarmer.com/pictures/d/268082-2/close+up+trichs.jpg

14. Ok...so all the hype about Nirvana crossing everything with skunk is heresay...Honestly, I know that some, like Blue Mystic was stabilized with the skunk, but plants like Northern Lights and White Widow even though they are Nirvana, should be what they say they are to my understanding. Only SOME of their crosses are stabilized with their famous "skunk #1" that they supposedly cross everything with. from what I know, this still hasn't been proven.

15. i remember hearing that they used northern lights way back from OG before hearing skunk #1 here. i don't know if it's true or not either, but one grower claimed that that was why their new purple power wasn't actually purple.

i've also heard that their big bud is nothing like the real deal, but it's all heresay.

even if they DO use those two strains in their breeding programs, they aren't bad strains in their own right and would only lend some hybrid vigour to the crosses while F2s of a strain would be susceptable to genetic waning.

nirvana beans are fine for a first grow and testing the water. i have some bubblicious, cali-o & pure power plant myself. i'd have to get back to you on their quality after i actually flower them, but all of the beans i popped playing around with a shoplight were 100% viable and healthy. i can say that much.

if i were to grow a connouisseur grade crop like blueberry though, i'd stretch my budget and get the real deal from DJ shorts. ANY knockoff strain you buy is going to be either one or more generations removed from the originals they were derived from or hybridized with something else.

one bank's haze for example has some NL#5 in it.

16. I couldn't have said it better.

I bought Blue Mystic from Nirvana for my first purchase...Really happy with it and it's easy to grow and for a Nirvana strain is very uniform. Some stretch more than others, but responded really well to LST and topping. Here's the kicker with the strain...some say it's a cross of White Widow and Blueberry, while other say it's Skunk and Blueberry. Hell, who knows.

SO...for my 2nd purchase I went and got indoor mix from Nirvana, WW from NIrvana and then I ventured to better genetics and got Sativa Diva package from FD and Durban Poison from Afropips...Next purchase will be true, top quality purchases. I've about got my system down, so it's about time to invest again. No burning or anything this time around...so I'm excited.

17. Nirvana seeds are straight. I've used them and THSeeds.

It's a common misconception that you can only grow dank from expensive dank seeds. I've grown killer herb from seeds that came from regs. Although having a nice strain doesn't at all hurt.... if you don't know what you're doing you'll have expensive shwag.

The grower has A LOT to do with over all quality.

18. Isn't that the truth...and I think even the curing has a lot to do with it too. My first harvest - Harsh as hell...2nd harvest...less harsh due to not burning them, but still some harshness because I'm still sucking ass on the curing end of things. Hopefully my 3rd harvest will be better.

19. I agree 100%

20. EVERYTHING along the way from genetics to soil, environment & treatment to curing afects quality.

to the blue mystic grower, did you get leaf curl? true blueberrry has leaf curl. if you had normal leaves, it was an hybrid. i think that's the reason they rename strains myself.