Cheap reflector

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ExoChris, Oct 19, 2010.

1. I saw these at Lowes/Home Depot. What do you think? They have clips on the back too which makes hanging a little more convenient. I was thinking of bending in the middle a little so it wraps my lights and maybe putting two side-by-side to utilize the clips and also cover more light area.

I'm doing a single bagseed cfl grow with three-26/100w bulbs (for now) and wanted to go up to eight eventually. Any ideas/objections/Exo you're an idiot that will never work? The only thing I would be concerned about are the grooves bouncing the light a certain way and harming the plant. I can probably find them cheaper at walmart or something too.

2. I would just get a roll of mylar.

3. mylar "emergency blankets" or white paint

4. Thanks for the replies, but I don't need that much. I just need a reflector.

5. That paint tray certainly will work better than no reflector at all.

And to all, do not use emergency blankets, they are not made for reflecting light and don't do a great job of it. If you hold them up to the light you can see right through it -- light passing through certainly is light not reflected. There is a reason the good mylar you want to use costs $20-$25 for a roll while these space blankets costs $2-$3. You want horticulture-grade mylar that has a mirror finish. If not, then a flat bright white surface reflects light better than emergency blankets.

6. Cool, thanks man!

I have "white-ish" walls (looks flat white, not sure exactly what it is though) in a 2'x2'x6' closet, and it gets a little chilly in there (especially with the lights off). I was thinking of putting an emergency blanket around the wall where the pot is to help with reflection and insulation, since it's up against the wall it should have a better effect, right?

7. Hi toasty .. ..

great Answer .. .. ..

I would listen ta that post, .. as it was more or less, .. What I had in mind .. .. :)