cheap ph meter

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iyland, Apr 18, 2010.

1. anyone have a recommendation for a cheap pH meter online? preferably amazon thanks.
    I want something that has good value, nice enough to work, but I dont want to be spending 100 bucks unless I have to.

2. for $7 I picked up a pH tester for water (which is all you really need) at the pet store in the aquarium section. No strips. does 250 tests. just fill the small vile (it gives you) to the line, add 3 drops (of shit it gives you) and it compare the color to the sheet. It's the same thing i used in chem class. Works freakin great and is super cheap, hard to fuck up, and requires no batteries and is water proof. My plant has NEVER had any deficiencies, red/purple stems, etc... and all I feed her is tap water pH'ed by adding small amounts of apple cider vinegar, and in flowering molasses.

Why make it harder/more expensive than it needs to be.

3. I'll try a cheap system at first, but if i run into probelms I saved that link. thank you both, now to find a nutrient system.

4. #5 ScreaminGreenie, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010

Im going to disagree with you...but:

I have that test tube Ph kit....as a back up

Its just not accurate enough if you want to balance out 25 Gallons of H2O. You need a meter in hydro for sure. Those drops in a test tube kit is nice for confirming results, or as a back up....but the buck stops there.

I'm speaking from the POV of an ebb and flow, but even if you are always making batches of say...5 gallons to water your organics. It would be a huge time sink fucking around with droplets and test tubes imo.

Get a proper meter (and not the cheapest--trust me I went that route with Milwaukee--it's just not worth it). It will eventually pay-off since you'll be using it hundreds and hundreds of times.

If you want to save a buck--do it somewhere else--like your oscillating fans. Not your meters--they are too important.

5. alright thanks I appreciate that advice. Is the one akhans linked a proper meter would you say?

6. go to ebay, look for ph meters i got mine for like 20 with shipping i think, look for buy it nows, its like yellow with a black cap. its milwaukee. works well comes with 7.01 solution and mini screwdriver to calbrate. sounds complicated.... its def not