cheap lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kauff, May 27, 2011.

1. Recently, a seed was found on the floor at my apartment. Since I have always wanted to grow, I plan on attempting to grow a bush plant. I germinated the seed and planted.it in soil and I'm waiting for it to sprout, but I realized I don't have any lighting. I plan on gowing it in a.garbage can, like a bigger one, but I since the plant is probably not going to be that great, I don't want to spend a lot on lights for it. I was wondering what would be the best light on a budget would be for a single plant. Since it all has to fit into a garbage car, the a light bar is out of the question. Any other suggestions?

2. You get what you pay for.

3. It's a shit seed, I'm more concerned with the experience aspect of it all.

4. get 6 100w replacement CFLs that like 138watts use daylight for veg and soft white for flowering, and go read a lot more threads on here.

5. It doesnt sound practical to have 6 cfl lights for the simple fact that I'd need to plug them into something. Im in an apartment so it.would have to be into a wall outlet.

6. You can buy a bar adaptor with 6 sockets for £4 from Argos in the UK.... home depot or lowes or wherever in the US....

7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

googled "homemade CFL grow light"

8. cheap lighting usually means you buy different stuff in a year, my experience anyway, you want to do it, do it correctly, this way you wont buy twice and save $ in the long run

9. #9 Ayron, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Gotta love google, that search probably took half the time it took to make this thread lol

10. #10 sinsemillaplease, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    In my humble opinion as a first/second time grower, the majority of the experience I've attained so far would be useless without all the research I did before starting. It doesn't matter that I've experienced pH lockout if I don't know what it is or how to fix it.

OP: You've got some more homework to do. Starting a grow right now doesn't seem like the best of ideas.

Anyway... the minimum I would personally spend for a single all-in-one light would be this 400 watt HPS/MH deal from HTG for $165. It includes ballast, reflector, MH and HPS bulbs and a timer. Everything you'd need to get it rolling.

11. thats a nice deal for a hps/mh switchable with both bulbs for only 170$