Cheap lighting systems

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by john thorne, Jul 4, 2012.

1. I am trying to find a cheap lighting system to grow 2 plants. I found a couple on amazon, let me know what you guys think. Also if anyone has a good system for under $100, post a link on here for me. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/FLCDG125D-125...r=8-1&keywords=200w+fluorescent+light+fixture

Amazon.com: FLT22 Two Tube T5 Fluorescent Grow Light System: Patio, Lawn & Garden

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-System®-Grow-Light-Fixture/dp/B001JL0BWG/ref=pd_sbs_lg_1

Also do these 3 systems just plug into a normal household plug?

2. #3 lov4led, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
    Well first of all lets start out by getting you grow room spec like size, how many plants, how many fans and how good is your vents and temps,,and by the way the 125 cfl looks good but to really thrive with CFL you need to get close to all your bud sites so you might be better using 12 13watt cfl's (if you got walmart near you they sell 6 packs of 13watt cfls for 99 cents!!)getting

6 (3 dollars a piece at the most)18$

[​IMG]

and

6(3 dollars a piece at the most)18$

[​IMG]

and

5 (4 dollars a piece)20$

[​IMG]

what you will do is take the 6 Y sockets and screw them into the plug -in sockets then you will take 4 of them and plug them into the bottom socket of 4 different power strips(so when you hang them you can go up a plug every time your plant grows up to the light)..now im sure your wondering why the last power stirip gets 2 sets of lights well....this one you will hang at the top of your plants and you will make it look like this...

[​IMG]

this will only cost you roughly 55 bucks(156watts and you can pick this up at wal-mart and lowes/homedepot) plus you will get way better penetration with more cfl's rather than a bigger one......

Just my 2 cents..check out my grow if you wanna see picks of the lights hang next to the plants

3. htgsupply has 150w hps for 70

will produce lots of lumens and heat

cfls will not produce a large amount of heat

u can also get a quality led panel for around 100 from lighthouse hydro

4. Thanks dude, I was just about to make a thread asking about how to make one of these. I was at wal-mart and home-depot today, picked up 4 cfls (23 actual watts each, and I think 2100 or 2700 lumens) but I didn't get the light fixture pieces. For some reason I thought there would be some wiring to do, but I guess not. I'll be going back tomorrow. :wave:

5. @UncleShaw great to hear man i love to be able to help ppl and this is a great and simple way to make a good set of grow lights JUST MAKE SURE IF YOU HANG THEM THAT YOU RUN STRING OR SOMETHING TO HOLD THE LIGHTS FROM FALLING dont wanna crush one of your babbies and i also love the fast that you dont have to do no wiring and worry about burning your house down

6. Yeah I was thinking I should pick up some chains as well.. thanks again man.

7. I'm thinking about making my box 4' wide by 4' deep by 6' tall. Having 2 plants growing at a time. Probably just 2 computer fans, 1 for intake and 1 for exhaust.. If it gets too hot I can add more

8. Maybe a little smaller box than that. More like 3x3x5

9. what kind of lights you using?

10. CFL.. I saw ur post about 99 cent bulbs at Walmart but I didn't see them at the store when I went and looked

11. wow so i went to wally world and looked at the lights it says Consumers Energy lowered the prices on the 10w,13w,and 23w cfls by 80% to help ppl use less power so they are probly gunna be like 4-5 bucks

12. LOL so...... i got like 10 packs of them (13w) :D im thinking about doing a full CFL dresser grow soon

13. How much were they each?

14. each bulb or each full light

15. In Canada it cost me about $15 for 4 100 watt (23 actual watt) cfls.

16. interesting idea thanks