Cheap Leds That Apparently Work

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by antiskeptic, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I'm an experienced outdoors grower but winter has hit and I'm sick of buying smoke so I am going indoors.
    Got a tent 90x90x140cm and this guy I've been talking to on another forum claims he has been growing successfully under these particular flood lights, the 50wat ones. Says 2-4 lights per plant. Claims the smoke is lighter and yield only slightly smaller and quality is there also. I've seen photos and does look promising. Just want to get some insight on what people think. Money is a big factor... Hence why I'm looking at these

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    this is the ad of the last lot i got, i got the 4 lot for around $115 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121274430675?var=420244557654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2. Not worth it.... buys gross stringy. . $115 can get you a 600watt with cooltube

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. That's an Australian dollar also. Why are they not worth it? Also led is the way I'm going, I don't wish to pay the power bill for mh or hid

4. How do you save money on power using LEDs? Using less light will yield you less bud.

Follow the logic.. Buying your weed from a local pusher will save you the most on your power bill.

5. And you do not understand how led work compared to mh or hid then. 400 to run them compared to 50 a month. I can do math

And it's not less less light if you do the math also

6. #6 Rumpleforeskin, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    I think I understand that you got your info from a bad source. If you think you can yield the same using 1/8 the power, you will only find you will yield 1/8 the harvest (or less). Nothing is free, you will get out what you put in.

Magic and math are not the same.

Don't drink that Kool-Aid my brotha.

7. Not math, just bad info

8. It's common knowledge that LEDs and cfl draw less power over the others and still produce the same lumens. It's lumens and colour temp, not wattage. That's why when you read basic lighting guides they say budget constraints stick to led and cfl not mh or hid. If money wasn't an issue in use hid. But with increased air flow and temp to get rid of that's more power again. And when I can grow at a fraction of what it costs of some street bloke why wouldn't I... Or anyone else. I'm not growing big just 2x2 square by 4 high. As long as I can achieve 7000 plus lumens cheaper than I don't see an issue. Was looking for help not a shit down with miss guided info.

9. If I can buy a 130w cfl that gives me 8000 lumens and I only require 7000 lumens to grow how can a 400watt MD or hid save me power? It's not the wattage but the lumens that does the job. I can swap out my 6500k lamp for a 2700k for flower and also install a cpl smaller 6500k cfl under a 100w for potency of the bud as to unaffect quality?

10. #10 EarthmanJay, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
    idk what winter in australia is like but if you live in an area that doesn't get frost you could grow some autoflowers outdoors during those months

11. Yep it's way to cold already, I've got a n led that draws around 320 watts real draw it's fine and it's a kind haven't gone through a whole grow yet but can always buy extra red lights. I've never seen those LEDs you got they look like tradies flood lights? I'd look at topledgrowlight.com it's a thread above this one they are cheap and everyone seems to like them couple of grow journal tests to.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #12 Rumpleforeskin, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014

If you want to use less watts, then use less watts. Less watts will cost you less and yield you less. But the info I am giving is real and not misguided or meant to be insulting at all. If you think 400 watts of CFLs or LEDs will yield you more per watt then conventional HID lighting, then you will be disappointed.

Commercial growers need to save money any way possible. Power is the main cost for any commercial grow operation. What type of grow lamp do you think they use?

You said in your above post that HIDs will cost you 8X more money in power than LEDs. You will not replace a 1000 watt HID with 125 watts of LEDs or CFLS and expect to yield the same (or even close to the same).

With that said.... Are some grows better suited to fluorescents, LEDs or a light source that produces less heat? Can you grow some nice bud with fluorescents or LEDS? The answer is yes. I install them in grow operations with height restrictions or adequate ventilation is difficult.

I feel it will take less time to grow a pound of quality bud with a HID lamp than any other lamp of the same wattage.

Just so you know I am not a hater or a guy who is stuck in his old ways..Some bud I grew with 400 watts of LED lighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are you still looking for help?

13. Just my 2cent but my cousin yeilded 3/4 oz less with a mars 2 1200w led (600w actual draw) than with his 1000w and it took a extra 100w to cool tent down so if u know how to train well than leds can save a heap

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Hey rumple what led did u run for those? I have a 300w topled and its great growing 4 autos now and buying a mars2 400w soon

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #15 Rumpleforeskin, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    Plants don't grow on lumens, especially if we are talking LED lights here. Look into PAR.

17. @[member="Rumpleforeskin"] is the real deal and really knows his stuff.

Pros: save all that time trimming and drying and hauling around heavy weight, LOL.

Said All I need to know. Ill do LED when I can build everything from scratch. In the mean time Ill keep running the 1,000hps.

18. I've been using some basic screw-in style led bulbs that I got at lowe's with good results. I think there's a few threads out there about them if you dig.

I like the fact that I can get them locally and return them whenever I want. They're 12.5w warmwhite and I think they costed 11$ or so. It's also nice that they're so easy to move and switch around...  but if you want to run over 150 watts or so, just get a led panel.

great advice above also.
    less watts = less buds, no matter what the salespitch says.

19. When you separate magic from reality, the results can still seem magical.

Sales will drive false numbers and make for real bad math.

20. #20 jonny.blaze/420, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    If you are going to get an LED and want to go on the cheaper side I think you will want to look into TopLED Mars II or Reflector II. They seem to have a really good spectrum dialed in for flower... Loki125 pulls massive amounts of bud from autos... I think his record is 10 zips from one auto. TopLED has a thread here with lots of satisfied customers and some posted results. Personally when I decided to go LED it was because of the results posted by GC blades in that thread. I never would have bought any LED from ebay or amazon you are rolling the dice and hoping for snake eyes there.