Cheap HPS/MH lights?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JNorris, May 17, 2011.

1. So im hearing the mass rave about MH for veg and HPS for flowering. To my understanding, these have a hefty price tag on them. When shopping around I came across some 400 watt HPS bulbs for $15? ie. http://www.bulbamerica.com/ushio-lu-400w-ed18-light-bulb.htmlCan someone tell me the difference between this and a $70 400 watt HPS bulb? Thanks

2. Why don't you just get 400W HPS first since you'll need it for flowering anyways? I do veg and flower on the same light with superb results.

3. The pricier bulbs have an "enhanced spectrum" which means they focus more spectral energy in wavelengths(colors) that normal HPS lights are weaker in.
    Or maybe you're confusing the price of a HID light system for the price of a bulb?

4. Budget :(
    I plan on getting one before they enter flowering stage though, im sure there are plenty of threads on HPS lights, but can you give me an idea of what I should buy (keeping that budget in mind):rolleyes:

5. You know you have to buy a ballast too right? a 400w ballast+bulb and reflector is 130-150 atleast