Cheap HPS bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by organacare, Jul 17, 2013.

1. What up GC?
    Just wanted to start a thread on which HPS bulbs work best or is there even a difference?
    I just found 1000w HPS bulbs online for less than $30 @ 1000bulbs.com.
    The brands are Ultrasun and Plantmax.
    Ive never used either before.
    I use Ushios, which btw used to be cheaper than hortilux and thats why I switched. I noticed no difference running hortilux or ushio even tho the hortilux claims to give more lumens and a broader light spectrum. So I saved around $40 a bulb.
    Now Ive found these bulbs and I am definitely considering switching to save another $40 per bulb. I have 16 lights so do the math. If I only had 1 or 2 I would stick with what brands I know work great. But to save a few hundred is another story.
    Im going to buy one of each of the cheaper bulbs while my Ushios still have some hours left on them to do a side by side comparison. I will keep up on the thread.
    In the meantime... has anyone ever used these bulbs Plantmax or UltraSun?
    Please share your experience.
    I feel like us growers pay WAY to much for our bulbs and im almost certain these cheaper bulbs will be just fine...
    Btw, everyone thought I was crazy to switch from hortilux to ushio at the time but now all my friends use Ushio.
    Out
    OC

2. supply and demand,....should GC sell HPS bulbs, then they could just about give them away, if all the membership bought one a year...?

3. I hate how ballasts cost so much :/