Cheap grow supplies

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by hippie john, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Very nice!
    I want to buy something but if the site is in with the feds, what are the chances they could look up the buyers of grow lights?

2. is a 400w digital ballast with hood, socket, a 400w MH bulb, and a 400w hps bulb for 159.99 a good price?
    its listed on ebay, and seems a good deal, its new with a warranty.

im fairly new to growing so im looking for a good price on a 400w or 600w digital ballast that comes with everything else (bulbs and sockets, etc.) so i dont have to spend more time and money hunting all the components down locally. anybody know any sites that specialize or have specific departments for buying the entire setup at once? instead of ballast bulbs and everything seperately.

3. #84 FourTwoOh!, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! They have VERY cheap computer fans as well as top of the line ones and just all computer parts in general.If your really tight on cash they have 80mm fans with decent CFM/noise level ratings for like $2.You can order 10 at a buck each and only pay 1 shipping per fan.and they ship FAST!!! Ordered 2 for under $6 bucks including shipping last Friday they said 4-7 days,got em yesterday(Monday)

4. I read that and it looks pretty good. But this is coming from a complete newb.

5. I started a thread about this, but I forgot this sticky was here.

ClimateKeeper 12" Oscillating Tower Fan.

This fan was $15 at Big Lots (you might be able to find it online somwhere too).

It oscillates, but since it's a squirell cage type fan, it takes up a lot less space in small grow rooms. It's low setting is almost too high for my 2'x4' box with seedlings, so it's got good blowing power. It's 13" tall and about 5.5" in diameter and oscillates inside it's own footprints, so it takes up a fraction of the space that a regular oscillating fan would.

Leaves more room for plants - that's a good thing.

And it's silent. Other than the sound of the wind it put out and the rattling the liner I put in the grow space.

[​IMG]

And I posted these in a thread about building my CFL fixture, but I can't say enough good things about them.

These light sockets are $2.50 each (actually I think they were $2.39). They are available at Home Depot. They are almost as cheap and easy to use a plug in type sockets, but they are more flexible as you don't have to have a 115v socket whereever you want to put a light.

To use them, you just need a cheap extension cord running past where ever you want to use a light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unscrew the cap.
    [​IMG]
    Split the haves of the insulation on your cheap extension cord and lay each half into the channels on the socket.
    [​IMG]
    Screw the cap down and the little prongs pierce the insulation and make contact with the wire.
    [​IMG]
    Boom. Instant light bulb in the middle of an extension cord without any cutting or splicing. A great way to add a bulb or two down low on the side of the enclosure to get light to the lower leaves.

And way less ghetto than a whole bunch of extenstion cords running all over the grow space. I had my whole grow room setup on two $1.99 Wal-Mart extension cords.

I couldn't find a model number on it, but it's UPC is 0784770000148 .

6. so basically you can just throw as many lights as you want across one cord? that's pretty f-ing cool. i'm planning a move from HPS to CFL this week....just looking for the best options

7. no. i think you cant run more then six. or 200 watts on 1 cord i think.

8. it really depends on the ratting of the cord that you use. the cheap Orange insulated Xcords are probably best for 200+watts. as they are rated to handle it ++

also a heads up for all us PC fan users OKGEAR PA-AD-UL 12V/5V AC/DC Power adapter w/ 4pin molex connector

less than 20$ shipped and is 2amps with 4pin molex. plug the pc fans right in and go.

perfect for those not into guesswork.

9. :hello:

This is the best advice I have seen in all two pages of reading. For people that are terminal ill or already suffering one medical expense away from bankruptcy, and speakitng on those without the purchasing power to buy a nice high intensity discharge light set up. For those friends in the Pacific Northwest, lets see if I can pull out my non stop ---er ahem--- the MAD SCIENTIST LIST FOR ONE CLOSET!

Scientific Objective: To use any standard apartment size closet to set up a Dr. Budgreengenes style Compact Fluoro' grow. No heavy supplies. Success in a small space for less expensive but not necessarily on the cheap when you are a person who is suffering.

List of Supplies with estimated price and resources:

1. Wallmart-- paint section -- duct tape ( X$ )
    2. Wallmart --- paint section -- black plastic roll ( out of two sizes take the smallest roll)
    3. Wallmart -- light section -- four electrical chords ( the gold ones are good)
    4. Wallmart -- light section -- four plastic Y-shape screw in adaptors- allow 2 bulbs in one
    5. Wallmart--- light section -- eight 42 watt CFL bulbs -- 336watts power ( 64 dollars +)
    6. Wallmart -- light section --- Brinks Timer
    7. Wallmart--- light section --- electrical extender board- allows one wall outlet to be six
    8. Wallmart --- laundry section?-- 100 wooden clothes pins
    9 Wallmart --- kitchen section -- 2 packs of butter knifes ( 2 dollars )
    10. Wallmart -- storage section -- one 61 liter rummbermaid on wheels that has seven inch tall sides, 18 inches wide, and three feet long at a cost of about 16 dollars for this.

13. Wallmart -- sewing section-- velcro

12. Wallmart or Home Depot -- staple gun
    11. Wallmart or Home Depot--- staples to go in staple gun

14. Wallmart (cough cough) -- tool section-- small metal hooks that screw into wood

15. ON THE INTERNET OR HYDRO STORE ONLY (*sorry if this limits options but oh well)
    Get a professionally treated bag of Coco Coir product that is mixed with perite or purchase your own coco coir and chunky perlite separately. A perky quirk about me is that I am a big fan of coco nut bioregions, and coco gives a rockwool like wick action effect, a spongey action that preserves so much air in the roots to give awesome growth. While it is not dirt and some knowledge of nutrients is required, Coco is unique in that it is the only organic substance that will not break down in sea salt. Which means good action when used with ionic salt hydro nutes or organic nutes such as FOx FaRm or HuMbOlt. One scientist has claimed ten years of resuability but most retailers say can be reused up to three grows. Water retention is excellent which means you do not have to handwater daily and this stuff can absorb up to nine times its weight before drowning a plant. I like Ready Gro aeration formula which is about 26 dollars a bag and really only need one bag to fill that rubbermaid up so there is four inches of soil going up the seven inch sides of the rubbermaid.

16. HYDRO STORE or INTERNET ONLY -- some nutes. Three part nutrients can run you 12 to 15 dollars a bottle but you mix the nutes with water by the teaspoon so they last a long time -- three months or more -- NASA space program uses General Hydroponics nutes, yet Advanced Nutrients seem to be the most popular. I like GH nutes because of the cannabus world thread called "Ask Lucas" and the "LUCAS FORMULA" allows you to not buy the green GROW formula bottle and just uses the MICRO and the BLOOM. So a total of about ( 27 dollars) Per gallon of store bought reverse osmosis water- mix one teaspoon of the Micro first and shake up the water, then mix two teaspoons of the Bloom. A one to two ration per gallon is what Lucas says for CFL lights. Keeps em going. HPS guys use about 8ml micro to 16 mil bloom with that lucas formula or just the bottle label directions.

17. HYDRO STORE or INTERNET ONLY -- get a NGW or similar steep and tall sided clone dome-- not those flatter shorter ones but get a clone dome with high sides which includes a transparent hood --- a tray that catches water without holes --- and get an insert to the tray that has 72 individual inserts--- all three components are separate prices.

18. HYDRO STORE or INTERNET ONLY --- get a heat mat for the clone dome. They are worth it, they really do speed root development and you can use them in other ways.

19. Wallmart ---- garden section, get clone powder, plant cloning root hormone powder

That is my list now HERE IS HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER :wave:

Go to your closet. If you are lucky it is ghetto and does not have doors. I would be inclined to remove the doors otherwise. For space options. Now that plastic should come off the roll in about 26 inch tall strips and you will want to cut and duct tape enough strips together to form a plastic blanket that can hang down over your closet.

Staple the plastic at the top let it hang down, then put velcro on the left and right sides of the plastic curtain from the top all the way to the very bottom and stick them to the walls. The curtain should seal but when you try to open it the velcro will come off, some of them will be fucked up, so put a staple in the wall through the velcro that is supposed to be on the wall and put a piece of ductape over the plastic then staple the other velcro to that with a school stapler. ( maybe a hotglue application to the velcro too)

now you have a way to black out your closet

time to get inside it.

screw wooden hooks into the ceiling of you closet or make a wooden board that can be hung down from the cieling and put multiple hooks in the board. You will be moving your lights from hook too hook so put many.

Now its time to assmeble your light sockets and not get shocked to shit while doing it. The small single gold sockets have two screws that the wire ends from the electrical chord attatch too. If you put the wrong wire end to the wrong screw and plug that in then you can expect black smoke, fire, shock... read the directions! One end of the electrical wire has grooves or ridges and that goes to a specific colored screw on the socket, and one end of the electrical wire is smoothe and has letters and that goes to a separate screw.

Now have all your electrical chords attatched to the sockets. Now plug in the plastic Y shape adaptar and put two 42 watt CFL bulbs in so that two bulbs hand from one socket. And you have four of those to hang from the hooks.

To hang from the hook just take a wooden saftey pin and catch two pieces of the electrical chord together so that a semi loop is formed and hang the loop on the hook in the cieling or the hook on your wooden board.

Now you can adjust the height of your light. An effective strategy would be if you thing of them hanging down into a rectangular shape so that one chord is hanging down at each side and each end shining light to all four sides of the square area.

Put your rubbermaid in and fill with the REady GrO coco perlite mix. Set your clone dome next to it and fill tray with some coco choir then put the insert into tray and fill the middle 20 units in the unit tray.

Mix up a gallon of reverse osmosis water and use one teaspoon micro and two teaspoon bloom. Pour into a party cup and give applications to seed that have been soaked for two days and inserted into coir. When seeds pop up use drinking straws split open and inserted around the stems of the seedling to add support until 16 days old. From A month old, start removing lower two node branches for clones or more, take the bottom three branch sets off and top the plant so only four main branches remain. Store clones in clone dome for reference and flower for sex.

What does anyone think?

10. Recently visited my local Ollies(Good Stuff Cheap) and found 130 GPH fountain pumps for 14.99 and 440 GPH pumps for 44.99. Certain much better prices than I've found at other local stores(Lowes etc.) I don't know how widespread Ollie's is but just figured I'd throw it out there on the chance that someone may benefit.
    On second thought I think that 440 may have been 39.99.

11. wow stealitback.com has some fucking great prices but im sketchy on buying lights from the feds

12. i would never buy off the police..dumbest idea ive ever heard

13. yeah id rather spend an extra 200 bucks on some good lights than end up spending sometime with bubba in prison

14. I am very amateur when it comes to growing. I am a soon to be caregiver in Michigan and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I want to start a setup with 3 400 watt bulbs that can veg and flower. I am hoping to go hydroponic but i know nothing about setting the system up or whether i should buy a hydro kit or make one myself.

Thanks

15. Homemade hydroponic setups are much cheaper to build than store bought ones. Price goes up fast depending on the setup. Id recommend a soil grow before jumping into hydro. Im planning on doing that.

Basically a good indoor growing environment means:

-Fresh clean air and odor control in the forms of inline fans, tubing, and a carbon filter for the stink.

-HID lights. Metal Halide for vegging and High Pressure Sodium for flowering in terms of light spectrum plants can use. HPS usually used throughout grow since MH lights produce less light power than an HPS of the same wattage. CFLs CAN be used but wont get you any High Times bud shots

-Mylar or Panda Film to reflect light off walls onto plants where it belongs.

-Plentiful water with the right nutrients mixed in the right proportions.

-Soil mixed with perlite to lessen the soil density, allowing for easier root growth

-Large plants call for large containers

Since your a caregiver does that mean odor and indoor security wont be an issue?

16. I want to get 3 or 4 55watt dual tube PLL lights. I know where to get bulbs need help with ballast and fixture. Please help cant wait to start my grow

17. has anyone bought one of those 400 watt hps lights for $90 bucks? becouse i just checked it out and they r being advertized for $70 bucke referbished but i havent seen any ratings for the place in over a year!!

18. they work fine. it's the same as a expensive ballast just without the case.