Cheap grow light

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheCoolest420, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I need a cheap grow light. Just enough for one plant. Can you guys recommend one? Under 30 dollars preferably. It would be nice if i could go to the store and pick it up but online might be okay if its a good price. I saw a video on youtube about how to make one with normal household CFLs but i can't find it. Any info on how to make one pretty easily/cheaply would also be appreciated.

2. You can't find any cfl's? Try a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. That will probably be your cheapest way to do things.

3. #3 TheCoolest420, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Nah I can find cfls lol I just can't find the guide. And what wattage cfls would I need?

4. You need atleast 6 24 watts go by actual wattage not equivelent wattage 100 watts for one plant

5. $30 is too low for good lighting in my opinion...

6. Well he's growing it not you buddy let him choose I have maybe 30 dollars worth of cfls and my shits growing just fine

7. #7 TheCoolest420, Jul 18, 2011
    Can I get some info on your setup? I am thinking i want to do one that is similar to yours.

8. A fish tank plant light might a be a good option.

9. #9 icheefaduhreefa, Jul 18, 2011
    Just check my thread its only 13 days out of soil

10. Get a strip outlet with 5 or 6 plugs on it. Then get Y adapters that plug into each outlet and let you screw two bulbs into each one. Buy enough cfl's to fill them all up and you should wind up with a fixture that has 6 to 8 bulbs in it. It'll work to get started but as your plant grows and fills out, you'll need more light, especially around the sides.

11. Any lone see a problem with using this?

Attached Files:

12. Read the cfl sticky, you don't even have to read it all the important stuff is on the first page. They're no compairison to a real light or the sun but they got me through till I could put mine outside. He didn't ask for good or fast he wants cheap.

13. you can find MH lights on craigslist for dirt cheap...like 40bucks for a 400watt

14. you could get 2 2ft 24w t5 thats what im doing to show people how little light you need and it is going pretty good take it is going 12/12 from seed with alot of light leaking in