Cheap Grow box design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MrERoach, May 22, 2003.

1. You will need a large storage box (or two thanks Budforce for the tip!) 2 storage boxes will get you going for at least 1 plant all the way to harvest. My boxes are about 33"W x 20"L x 15" deep. The bigger the container the better off you are. Buy at least 2 cans of flat white spray paint per box and spray the inside. Dont forget the lids too!

I found some plastic PVC pipe from the local plumbing store. These "pipes" are 90 degree angle pieces that I found in the kitchen sink area. They are white and they are used to help keep the light in the box while giving it some holes to vent through. I cut a hole on each side of the box and put the angle pieces in the holes. These pieces were about 2 dollars for the pair.

I bought a small computer fan from a local store for 10 bucks but I am sure there acheaper ones. I took an old adapter for a small stereo or something that had a 12VDC output which is the same as the computer fan and sliced it together. I put the fan in front of one of the pvc pipes and this gave my box perfect growing conditions. 78 degrees and 57% humidity in the box after all is said and done.

The trickiest part of the box is the lights. Putting anything but compact flourescents will surely melt the plastic box so I had no choice but to use them. I bought two bulbs for 12 bucks at K mart and 2 shop light holders that had aluminum reflectors. These shop light holder have nipple clamps on them so take them off and have fun with them. The light socket on them had a normal halogen bulb connector that works perfect for those compact flouros. These light holders were 8 dollars a piece and the tub can effectivly hold three but i settled with 2.

I cut holes in the lid and put the light sockets in the hole then put the reflectors on and screwed in the light bulbs. It only took one person to do that.

Ok now if you want to have just a small grow box for clones or seedlings like I do than you are done here.

To make a full growing chamber take the lid from another box and cut out a hole that fill fit the bottom of the other box snuggly(dont want any light to escape!) cut the bottom of one box off and put the box in the hole. You should have a full growing conatainer that looks just like 2 tupperwar boxes stacked on top of each other

Attached Files:

2. Nice box for vegging or clones...hope you don't mind but I moved this here from Indoor Growing....I like seeing peoples creations and this is my favorite forum.

3. this is my favorite forum too.:) too bad it doesnt get a whole lot of posts

4. Hmm, I really like your design. Especially the idea of cutting the bottom out and stacking them for flowering. How does it look to the unsuspecting viewer? If it doesn't draw attention I might use this design for my closet when my sister moves her shit out of there....

5. the box "glows" at night and can be noticed by looking at it so IT IS NOT VERY STEALTHY But when thelights are off thats another story. You can staple or hot glue this stuff called reflectX or something like that it can be found at any hardware store it looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil stuck to it and this will block the glow. As long as you seal the two boxes together with caulk That box will carry you allt he way to harvest.

I plan on using mine for seedlings and clones

Thanks for the replies!!!

6. omg thats a great idea im going to do that do you think it will work for a full fledged grow and could i fit a fan in there i dont have a small fan but i got 5 cfls u think it will do

please reply soon

7. also how do u raise and lower the lights? Have u done a grow in a box like it before and will i get good bud and should i just scrog or sog it? or any trainging

8. sorry hate asking questions but what size pots should i use for a full grow i want to try and grow several plants

9. arg answer!

10. I use 3 gallon pots!!!

11. ya but do u grow just like mreroach?

12. answers to all of your questions.....

I have noticed that if you want to take a plant to full harvest...you are going to have to use two boxes stacked...the lights will not be able to be moved but using stuff under the pots to raise the plants. You will not have a alot of room to allow a plant to grow any larger than you would if you were using SCROG which is also a very good way to maximize this box's potential. But on a side note I have decided to just keep it a a cloning box and seedlings.

as for the pot size and amount of plants...I would think that you would only fit 2 plants in pots and maybe four using Scrog.

Good Luck and if you decide to use soil use growbags 3 gallon size. But the bags will take up the height of the first box.

Here is a pic of my current setup

Attached Files:

13. this is bloody brilliant!

14. I am going to use this for my first grow, I bought my tub today, spray painted it, fitted my lights, but when I went to cut a hole for my carbon scrubber I cracked it and a chunk popped off >.<, I taped it up, but putting in a carbon scrubber and my intake fan is gonna be a pain in the ass....

I am going to use 2, but I havent even started yet, I figure I'll get that, along with my light timer, when the need arises.

worse yet, my older sister comes home from college today, so I wont be able to get any work done on it until mid january...

15. Is it small enough to fit in a like 2 by 2 closet

16. [quote name='"MrERoach"']You will need a large storage box (or two thanks Budforce for the tip!) 2 storage boxes will get you going for at least 1 plant all the way to harvest. My boxes are about 33"W x 20"L x 15" deep. The bigger the container the better off you are. Buy at least 2 cans of flat white spray paint per box and spray the inside. Dont forget the lids too!

I found some plastic PVC pipe from the local plumbing store. These "pipes" are 90 degree angle pieces that I found in the kitchen sink area. They are white and they are used to help keep the light in the box while giving it some holes to vent through. I cut a hole on each side of the box and put the angle pieces in the holes. These pieces were about 2 dollars for the pair.

I bought a small computer fan from a local store for 10 bucks but I am sure there acheaper ones. I took an old adapter for a small stereo or something that had a 12VDC output which is the same as the computer fan and sliced it together. I put the fan in front of one of the pvc pipes and this gave my box perfect growing conditions. 78 degrees and 57% humidity in the box after all is said and done.

The trickiest part of the box is the lights. Putting anything but compact flourescents will surely melt the plastic box so I had no choice but to use them. I bought two bulbs for 12 bucks at K mart and 2 shop light holders that had aluminum reflectors. These shop light holder have nipple clamps on them so take them off and have fun with them. The light socket on them had a normal halogen bulb connector that works perfect for those compact flouros. These light holders were 8 dollars a piece and the tub can effectivly hold three but i settled with 2.

I cut holes in the lid and put the light sockets in the hole then put the reflectors on and screwed in the light bulbs. It only took one person to do that.

Ok now if you want to have just a small grow box for clones or seedlings like I do than you are done here.

To make a full growing chamber take the lid from another box and cut out a hole that fill fit the bottom of the other box snuggly(dont want any light to escape!) cut the bottom of one box off and put the box in the hole. You should have a full growing conatainer that looks just like 2 tupperwar boxes stacked on top of each other[/quote]

This was an old thread that i had to bring back. seemed really beneficial for those who are eager to clone veg and start from seed while letting their other crop bloom in the a flower room.

This was extremely easy, cheap and quick to do. Great post man. I did have to crack the lid on the top because it was just too hot. But i did Use 3 cfl's as opposed to 2.

View attachment 804499