CHEAP "DIY" CO2 Enrichment Generators

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ganja Guerrilla, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Sorry for the double post but Im hoping someone can either confirm my calculations or point out my error.

According to the article it would take .8 pounds of dry ice to elevate the Co2 PPM to 1300 in a 512cuft room. Im working with a 49.5 cuft grow space, so according to my calculations a proportional amount of dry ice would be .07 lbs per day, roughly a tenth of a pound.

At that amount of dry Ice I would only need about 3 lbs per month, which seems like a very economical way to utilize supplemental Co2.

Does that sound right?

Thanks
    -Corp

2. isnt co2 a gas? can it kill you? because my grow room is a few feet from my bed...

3. Would the pilot light of a natural gas hot water system, and the times when the hot water is being used, produce an appreciable increase in CO2 levels in a 2mx2mx2m room..anyone?

4. for a sealed room, tanks are a great choice, however, if you have the option to run a burner it is much cheaper than filling a tank. I get approximately 150 cubic feet of gaseous co2 (roughly equal to a 20 lbs tank, IIRC liquid Co2 is like 7 cubic feet as a gas per pound) from $2 in propane, that's quite a bit cheaper than refilling tanks.

I don't do it for the cost savings though, its just impractical to run tanked Co2 outside of sealed rooms, and if you have a gas line in your house, you never have to go fill up anything.

5. Sounds good the problem is can you buy a 5 pound block and have the cold storage to prevent it from sublimation. you would need to have something at -120F. Dry ice is -110, my freezer is 25f.

I liked the info you provided. Hope it works off the paper.

6. The dry-ice method is not cost effective. The cost of maintaining it for at least 60 days will get you a few tanks of compressed co2.

7. I know this is an old thread but...

You can calculate the amount of CO2 by using math and using a hydrometer to measure before and after specific gravities.

But your idea of 'CO2 killing bugs at high concentration' is valid in that 10000ppm CO2 should kill most animals in a few minutes. While im not sure about ur method of collecting that concentration, ive used 10k CO2 to keep my pests to nill for a while. I do it with a tank. I also brew beer and hootch and that helps me keep my tank refills down to every few months.

8. Or you could get a brewers demi john with rubber cap and tubing

9. Output volume will be determined by how much sugar and yeast you use as well as how many generators you build. It's a great idea and I know CO2 when used by the most experienced growers can get you 2-4 lbs off a single plant IN ONE MONTH and I say this having seen it several times now even though I can't claim this accomplishment myself. Growers with the right formula actually pull off this extreme growth rate from clone to harvest in a 4 week period. Dateline actually did a special showing how one kid did it.

But pulling that off with CO2 from yeast and sugar?
    Not only do you need to use a massive dose of sugar and yeast but, probably need to make 2 per plant. At maybe a $10 to at most $20 cost, I would insist for many of us on a shoe string budget it's worth it.

10. I don't like to use the word liar because folks says stuff (like the statement above) without understanding the details or get mixed up.

Lets take a look at your source. You have a link?

11. The yeast method. I've heard of this before. Realistically though to get the kind of CO2 enrichment you need for indoor plant growing you would need a LOT of yeast, so if it's an issue with cost, buying a CO2 emitter would actually be cheaper. Emitters are cheaper to set up, and CO2 generators are for larger rooms and burn propane which creates heat but is cheaper overall.

12. I just use co2 cartridges from my old bb gun I empty atleaset 2 every other day!

13. Yeah better than a link making a claim, it's called Dateline NBC!

They documented a grower about 10 years ago and followed him from start to finish.
    30 days, from clone to harvest and each plant pulled 3-4 POUNDS.

They also included a segment where he got caught and set up new grow houses to pay for the most expensive lawyer he could find. These guys buy a brand new house in the name of a young married couple who do not smoke pot or use drugs and have full time jobs. They follow his instructions to maintain the plants after he installs everything along with the meter rig to hack the outside power meter, he stops buy once a month to harvest, takes the product to be sold and cuts them 1/4 of the total sale.
    He was pulling about 100 grand a month per house and nothing was left to claim or innuendo, you saw it on camera. He also would set up several houses, not just a couple.

14. I was thinking of doing the homebrew method and just poking a hole in the top a 2 liter and run tubing with some slits in it up the stalk of each plant. do you think this would work/help? cant see it hurting...

15. Give me the name of the show or a link to it.. No plant is finished flowering in 30 days. You smoked too much before watching TV.

Anyone here ever hear of a guy going from clone to harvest in 30 days and getting 3 pounds from each plant? Mothergoose tall stories.

Sorry dude, you got it wrong. Your not doing it, I'm not doing it, no one here is doing it.. Was just a dream.

16. It was all a dream! - that one black guy they made of a movie about...something smalls...who cares..:bongin:

17. not a bad idea but I find dry ice to be more effective for my setup and cheaper in the long run as I really only need .5 lb a day if that. I am going to try this method tho, seems a bit more practical as I wouldnt need to change the ice every day but instead only switch it out every 12-14 days.

18. Who are you, captain important?
    The good news is, you are insignificant and your disbelief means nothing to me. If someone told me this story, I'd be screaming bullshit not just claiming but I saw it myself with my sister and a friend.

So the story gets harder to believe.
    These plants were maybe 2.5 to 3 feet tall at most. Once the leaves were cut away, it was just solid masses of bud that reminded me of octopus tentacles. I have seen first hand people get lbs off a single plant that was however outdoor grows on massive indica plants.
    This guy was growing indica and what looked like one of your more advanced Kush strains long before the Kush craze.

Your problem is, you can't achieve these results and I'm sure hardly anyone can but I saw it. Consider these plants are being gassed with an immense amount of CO2, each has a 1000 watt HPS over it and is being flooded with about 4-5x the normal strength of nutrients.

When you clone a plant, any plant, it maintains the stage it was in at the time of the cutting. So clone when the plant is full bloom, use a similar methodology as above and yes, you get your 30 day clones that reach full bloom. The clone wants to return to the exact state it was in at the time of the cutting so it can be driven back to full harvest.
    I'm not going to argue with you, you are entitled to believe what you like but I have presented this information as it was presented for me.

19. #40 Rumpleforeskin, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
    You are the only one on earth wo knows this information. Just give a link.

No one is getting 3 pounds off a 30 day old plant. You smoked some good weed and did not listen.

Do you have any idea what size plant you would need to get three pounds from it? I can tell you don't. It would need to be over 5' tall and just as wide.

I clone and keep my room at 2000ppm of CO2.

This is my two plants 4.5' tall that dried to one pound (takes 60 days to flower):
    [​IMG]

Now, can you imagine a plant 1.5' shorter five times bigger, that goes from clone to harvest in 30 days?
    I can, then I wake up. I know a BS story when I hear one.