Cheap bastard hempy bucket grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Jheankhrist, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Hello to everyone and welcome to my grow journal. Finally after a long time of reading and reading I decided to register about a week back and give this a go. Having tried growing once before with disappointing results I'm here today attempting this again.
    After reading countless of grow journals and many Google searches I came to the conclusion of using the Hempy Bucket method of growing, because of the simplicity and cost effectiveness of this method. I plan on doing this as cheap as I can. (doesn't mean I'm skimping on the good name brand stuff) My grow box consists of a Rubbermaid box, 2 27w daylight cfl's and a computer fan I had laying around. Total cost so far about $8 (only things bought where the cfl's and a y adapter socket) I have 2 bag seed's germinating at the moment since yesterday, I will be growing them on miracle grow time release for about a week. I will then transplant them to the perlite/vermiculite mix, and go from there.
    With my last attempt failed due to stretching and not having enough lights, I will be picking up a standard 400w hps bulb that will hopefully be enough for two ladies, Here is the link to the bulb Standard HPS 400 Watt Bulb you guys think this will work? and can i put this bulb on a regular socket? and i'm a little confused on the Nutes situation with the hempy method. Can anyone suggest a good nute for this method?

EDIT: I will start posting pics as soon as the seeds crack

2. #2 AnuMeow, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    I'll be watching this and wish you luck. I use that same bulb but I don't think you will be able to use it in a regular socket, you'll need a real ballast. My advice is to ditch the Miracle Grow, it totally threw off my first attempt and I'm still trying to recover. I'll be interested to see what you do for so cheap.

This is the ballast I use. I can keep it very cool with just a regular fan, and it comes with both the HPS and MH bulbs. It's a real good deal and that seller ships really fast.

3. hmmm..i might check that out, i'm trying to keep this low budget lol. think i can get away with 2 more cfl's? MG is all i have for now :( till next friday

4. You would be alright with CFLs, I've seen people here do great things with them. The rule seems to be 100 watts of actual power for the first plant, and 50 each additional. So you would want 150 of actual (not equivalant) for your two girls. I'll be doing an entirely CFL setup for my mother plant area.

5. thanks for the info man i'll be picking up 2 65w ones at lowes next friday. any idea on nutes?

6. For cheap nutes look around, I use Fox Farms but some people around here have used cheaper ones available at Home Depot so maybe they an help you out on the budget issue.

7. fair enough :) i been reading ff is the shit

8. hey hey now, MG soil W/nutes is fine, check out my grow if you don't believe me. I know it's not the best and can ruin your grow, but you'll be fine if you plan on vegging for a month and a half. then the nutes will run out before you have to flush in your last two weeks of flower.

9. it will be in MG for about a week then to the HB
    Edit: nice grow greenman i will be deff following that

10. oh yeah lol my b. well I'm in for this one and best of luck to you man.

11. to you as well

12. thanks man. As for nutes I would go with fox farms if you can afford them. (they're worth it) and are you planning on topping? or LST?

13. scrog
    and yeah i think im going with FF big grow for hydroponic not bad for $20, is that all i need is just one bottle of that and im good with nutes or do i need something else?

14. you need the grow big for Vegging and then you need the bloom for flowering. they say start out with 1/4 strength and work your way up.

Scrog should be very nice, you will be topping right?

15. yeah topping will come too lol it will be my 1st time so i'm sure its going to be hilarious. think the scrog/topping will work good with 12/12 light cycles?

16. hmm, well buddy. you should top your plant at the 4th or 5th node, in veg so 24/0 18/6 but not 12/12. let it recover and then top again. if you veg for a month or a lil more, topping once a week (figure you top about 4 times and then you let it recover one more time and let grow) then you switch to flowering you'll have a good harvest to look forward to.

17. sounds like a good plan man thanks :)

18. no problem, glad I could help :) if ya got any questions just let me know. :smoking:

What do you plan on for your vegging light cycle?

19. i was going to do 12/12 from seed but after reading some more, i might just go with 18/6.
    one more question...for watering can i use bottled water?

20. you sure can! and you def wouldn't wanna go with 12/12 from see cause your plant would yeild hardly nothing. I use tap water. I let it sit atleast 24hrs before i use it though.