Chat?

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by CaptainBobbo, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I'm just curious why this place doesn't have its own little chat room thing. A few forums I've been apart of had a link that would take you to a real-time chatroom. I feel like that would be pretty cool to have on a forum like this too...

People could just share videos they were listening to, link funny pictures, ask questions about whatever, or just talk. Obviously it would have to be monitored, and certain kinds of conversation wouldn't be prohibited.

(Also: I am aware there are threads for those things, but I mean a more casual, real-time setting. Sorry if there is one, but I'm pretty sure I have not seen one.)

:cool::smoke:

2. For some reason its against the rules. Though It would be cool if the admin put a add on so its on the site, and then it could be moderated. Its fairly easy to do idk why they don't do this

3. Mods have shot this down many times. We can't make chat threads or threads trying to organize off-site chats either.

4. Oh, weird... I would have assumed they would just have to place some filters in, and then moderate it (like other sites). Oh well, not something to get banned over... but slightly disappointing. Thanks guys for the responses.

:smoke:

5. Youd think this would be the answer To the no chat threads thing..

6. I was gonna reply to this thread with something else, but I was scared I was gonna get banned..

7. Yeah, I don't really get it either...

I think its the fact that its much easier too ask for hookups and people spamming it every 5 secs.. and I don't think the mods want to watch it all the time..

its much easier for them too control threads, then it is for a chat room i'm assuming..

I think they just odn't want it too turn out like Shroomerys chat room :laughing:

8. The reason is simple: its much easier to prohibit certain things all together than it is to work with both sides (GC users and GC admins) and come to a reasonable agreement. And this prohibiting (hmmm.. what's the word I'm looking for?) clearly isn't working.

But it doesn't matter because this thread will be closed shortly, along with a brief explanation by an irritated mod about how SJ won't allow it

9. If the current mods don't want to watch the chat room I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find people who would. In all the other forums I frequent there's an official chat room run by a chat room mod team, and there's always someone on to moderate. Works fairly well too, except for the occasional troll or 2 trying to rustle some jimmies. Strict rules and at least 1 mod on at all times of the day would make it run well in this environment I'd think.

10. The admins don't put just anyone in a position that requires trust like that, though. Or we'd have a lot more moderators. :p

There's not even enough moderators for the forums right now, so there's definitely not enough moderators for a chat room.

And with IRC chats and such, an operator needs to have access to IP information to be able to ban people. This is a forum focused on marijuana growing, which a lot of people are doing illegally, so the admins can't just pick names out of a hat to decide who's going to have access to that information.

Maybe some day we'll have a shit ton more moderators and the admins can reconsider if they choose to, but it's definitely not feasible right now.

11. So how's everyone?

12. How does one go about gaining trust? Simply being a long time user?

13. Being around a while, following the rules, being helpful, spreading good vibes, basically just being an all around good member. :p

Granted "trustworthy" is in the eye of the beholder, which in this case is the admin. :smoking:

14. we arent allowed to collectively communicate for some reason. its kind of ironic lol

15. The entire forum is filled with collective communication. :p

There's just not enough moderators to handle a chat room or a chat thread right now.

Don't blame the mods, it's not their fault that so many people insist on breaking the rules whenever a chat thread gets going. ;)

16. eh, i dont see it as genuine communication, more or less just stacked opinions. i just wish the rules werent so black and white. oh well, mo people mo problemz, mo liability..

17. I'm not sure what else you would expect form a forum.

18. freedom of speech?.

19. This is not 'murrica, sir. :p

Most every forum on the internet has rules. The beauty of it is that if you don't like the rules on one forum, you can always try another. :smoking:

20. True, but I know of a certain image/b/oard website that just held mass online application for volunteer "semi-mod" like appicants. They would go through the application which was open for only a day, and then they would be chosen out (remaining anonymous) and be able to help the real mods with certain filtering powers and such.

It's not as if there aren't enough users on GC, with all things considered it's definitely do-able... but now I don't see that happening. We should accept this and move along.

:smoke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.