Chat about a Life decision with me?

Discussion in 'General' started by bahookahjoe18, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I'm considering at least two more years of college because I want to make sure that I have my shit somewhat straight before I take on a business.

I'm excited for college. I can't wait to learn something. I want to take classes that I won't even need for my degree. I love knowledge. Sitting in a classroom six hours a day listening to rednecks argue with the teacher about chewing tobacco isn't teaching me anything though.

2. Thats not true though. I didnt finish highschool, and all I have is a GED, and I make more money than most people who finish a four year degree.

3. #63 Penelope420, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
    You know as well as I do that you are the exception to the rule, and not the norm.

You may have a good job, earning a good salary, but what are you not telling us? When did you join the military? Were we at war? Where do you think you would be if you didn't join the military? How many job options were available to you when you dropped out of community college? When you got your job, was the country in a terrible recession with a 10% unemployment rate? What if you decided that computer programming was no longer for you... what experience/degree do you have that would allow you to easily change careers? At this point in your life, how easy would it be for you to go back to school to earn a bachelors degree?

Again, this isn't about money. I've never said stay in school so you can earn a fat salary. I said stay in school so you have more options in the future. One can certainly start a business, join the military, travel the world or hold a career with a GED, but having a high school diploma and college education only makes it that much easier.

For the record, I dropped out of college to start my own business. I now have a career that most people need an MBA to even be considered. But, I'm not going to paint a rosy picture of this... it was very hard. A lot harder then a few months of high school. If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten that degree.

4. well there is no arguing that, he actually was a quite intellegent guy but some un foreseen circumstances led to his death. This thread isnt really about into the wild so I will leave it at that.

But to the OP my advice to you is to just stick it out think about how sick college is going to be. I mean your going to classes that interest you with people who are also interested in them for the most part and not making immature jokes the whole time.

Trust me dude college is way better than high school just deal with it for now.

5. Well here is my story. I didn't drop out of CC. I went to get my 15 credits because the Airforce will not take anyone with a GED unless you get those credits from college. They are real hard asses and only take the top qualified for their computer jobs. And I joined the Airforce about 5 and a half years ago. We were at war but I never saw any of it. Instead of going to a nice school and spending about 100 grand to get a degree in computer programming. The Airforce taught me it for free, and even paid me on top of that to learn it. Also, I got my job that I have now over three other programmers fresh out of college. The military is not a bad choice over college honestly. I'll admit I am an exception because I joined the military but the GED and HS diploma are so similar now, their is no difference between the two because they are both obsolete. No one cares about your HS diploma, they want to see that you have a college degree. A degree is the new diploma.

6. That seems to be what most of the sites that I've been reading seem to say.

Statistically, high school drop outs make a lot less than those with a diploma. This makes sense though, considering a lot of the people that drop out are simply lazy or unmotivated or have no ambitions.

7. no one likes going to school... they call it senioritus for a reason

if you drop out to get your GED for the sole fact that you don't want to be at school, you're not as smart as you think you are. life is full of shit you don't want to do.. doing it anyway is called growing up, you should try it.

8. Dude, I'm not immature. There's no need to tell me to grow up. I go to a shitty high school in the middle of nowhere West Virginia where my classes are nothing but "John, spit your tobacco out." "What tobacco?" "Go to the office."

I'm not being educated. If I can drop out and further my education without high school, then why shouldn't I?

9. Sounds like your mind is made up. Best of luck to you :)

10. It's not made up yet. I'm still thinking and deciding. I appreciate all of your input. A couple of your points have made me kind of wary of dropping out.

It's a big decision. There's no way in hell that I would do it without considering every option and outcome.

I really am a smart guy, and I'm dealing with my life in the best way that I think possible.

11. do what you have to do man, but a few more months really isn't worth the rest of your life.

it does make a difference. its one of those things you gotta have. you made it 11+ years don't throw that all away.

12. *slow clap* :wave:

13. I won't be throwing it all away just because I quit high school. Of course I've learned a ton in school. I'll just be taking a short-cut.

A GED can mean two different things to employers, depending on the context, says Maya Frost, author of "The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education."

"What matters most is not whether you earn a GED or high school diploma but whether you use the GED as a way to advance or to catch up," Frost says. "The GED can be a very powerful tool as part of a strategy to begin college early. For those who want to blast forward, veering off the SAT/AP/GPA path and taking the GED at 16 may be the smartest move they can make."

That doesn't necessarily bode poorly for anyone who earns a GED for any reason other than to jump start college. It does mean, however, that employers are always looking for job candidates with ambition and commitment.

-- High School Diplomas vs. GEDs: Do Employers Care?

14. It just seems ridiculous to do that when you could tough it out, that's pretty much all everyone is saying here.

If you choose to drop out you may only be hurting yourself no big deal to any of us. We're just giving you the best advice because you asked us to discuss it. There's no reason to be defensive and all that quote really shows is one angle of a subject that is widely diverse. Just think about it carefully. There's no two ways about it, a GED is similar in equivalency but does NOT look as good as having a complete high school transcript and if you're in the top of your class you are throwing out opportunities. It just seems, well, childish to quit because "wah wah wah I dont wanna go" dropping out is showing immaturity.

15. see if you can do adult ed. you do all the work yourself like a couple hours a day in a room. maybe 3-4 days a week. still graduate with Diploma. Its what i did my senior year.

16. I'm not getting defensive, and I'm not crying about high school. No need to insult me. I did just ask for a discussion, not a condescending talk.

17. #77 Ugyatag, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
    I only read your first post, so forgive me if I missed some points. Now, I understand where you're coming from...you don't have much to get from high school and are eager to move forward. I assume that since you're smart you want to do great things/have a high paying job/have a great life in whatever way suits you. And being smart will allow you to do that, but that's not the only thing you need to succeed - you need to play the game.

Before you give me examples of people who defied the rules, dropped out of HS, college, whatever and did great things, I am aware, but they are the exceptions. If you drop out of HS get your GED you will certainly have chance to do what you want, but it will hamper you in so many ways.

Every single place you apply to will see that first. They will judge you for it. They'll probably ask you about your decision. What will you say? You can't tell them that you were too impatient to finish high school because they will reject you without another thought. No one wants to hire/accept someone who can't play the game or chooses not to because they are the game, and they make the rules, and they want people who will follow them.

Let us know what you decide.

EDIT:

I read a few of your other posts and it sounds like you're content to not go to a good school, not get a great job, which is fine. But you're 18 years old and a senior in high school. Can you say without certainty that you won't want to enter any competitive fields in your life. What happens when you get a mindless job after high school or community college and you become to impatient for that and want to do something challenging?

18. Everyone hates school dude, but just think all those years you spent in the place you hate would be a waste if you dropped out. Senior year is a lot more relaxed second semester by the end of the year you will be doing almost nothing in your classes so just stick it out. Good luck with college NEXT year :hello:

19. OK, all that being said, this would apply a bit better if you were sitting in the 10th grade and wanted to "blast forward". To be honest, at your point right now, if you drop out, you will likely be stereotyped as a lazy 12th grader who just got "Senioritis".

In my opinion, your "short cut" isn't worth the hassle in spending at least the next four years explaining to God and everyone what the fuck that little asterisk is behind the words "High School Graduate*".

If you love learning that much, you won't mind dual-enrolling yourself in college classes now then. I'm pretty sure you could work something out with a CC to allow that. Work on college homework in your pointless "redneck" classes during the day. Who gives a shit if you fail those classes, you're not even going for a scholarship, so you really shouldn't care about GPA at this point.

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, just cold hard truth...

20. First let me apologize for not reading most of your thread.....

Finish this semester, sign on for College work next semester, you get the college credits fro FREE!! and you get a head start on life. Plus college is so much more fun then high school.

I already had 19 college credits before I turned 18 and saved myself thousands of dollars.

Regardless of what you want to do with you life you need a good education, that is all that can set you free..... that is the only thing that can'w be taken away from you.