Chat about a Life decision with me?

Discussion in 'General' started by bahookahjoe18, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oh Jesus. This is why I think highschoolers should stay away from weed. Kid you're an idiot. Your in highschool right now and don't understand life. If you have a chance to attend some of the top schools in America, probably on scholarship, you take that offer and make a good life for yourself. Living life with nothing in the woods may sound cool as a pothead teenager but you gotta face life eventually.

Do yourself a favor and take those classes and finish highschool.

2. I didn't say childhood or high school friends, I said peers. As you move on in life, your peers will change.

When you're 18, and in high school, you and your peers all have pretty much have the same options in life... drop-out of school, go to college, go to a trade school, or graduate and start working.

As you get older, your options for life either become greater, or they lessen, depending on the choices you make now. Some of your peers now will choose to start families right out of school. That limits their options infinitely. Some will choose to go on to university and get degrees, that will give them infinitely more options for the future. I know plenty of people who went on to college, and are not working in their field or are living "alternative" lifestyles. But it's the education and opportunities available to them that afford them whatever lifestyle they chose.

Dropping out of high school, because you can't tolerate a mere 8 more months of it, says a lot about how a person will handle future obstacles.

You're right that life is not a game or a race. My question is, why limit yourself when you are so young?

A person above said "there is more to life then a high school certificate" and that is absolutely true. But when you don't have that certificate, that's what your life ends up boiling down to. Every job and every relationship you form, will come down to the lack of that piece of paper. There's no greater way to make your life all about that piece of paper, then to not get it in the first place.

3. Definately get your high school diploma man. You are more likely to get jobs over someone with their GED.

GEDs are intended for people who can't finish high school due to social issues or other problems preventing them from attending.

If you can finish school just stcik through it. Just auto pilot your way through it, I know how reptetive high school is but I pulled myself to finish and moved on

4. #24 ZipLockBag, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
    Why don't you just skip the other 2 classes? Like just don't go... whats the worst that can happen? You lose the 2 credits that you don't need? Get the 2 credits you need, and fuck the others. If you can't do that, drop out.

As for everyone else saying "just do it". Simply put, fuck off. I'm not a dumb kid, school is just not for me. I think the last test I had I got a 97% on without studying or even knowing what the test is on. School is so easy for me that its a waste of my time going to class, but because of the fucked up educational system, even if I do all the work, even if I get 100% in the course, if I miss over a certain amount of days I won't get the credit. Complete bullshit that a credit would be based on attendance, not actual learning. I have 4 credits left, and because of some things out of my control I'm not able to drop out. School is literally torture to me. It got to the point with my old school where just being inside/around the building started making me feel physically sick. Its not as bad since i switched school, but its still brutal, any good mood I'm in, any positive feelings I have, are murdered as soon as entering school.

I don't want to go to university, I doubt I'll even go to college. School is just not for me. Education can come from everywhere, and school is not where I can be educated. Its not for everyone, just because society has placed some fucked up importance on a highschool diploma doesn't mean that it actually is important. You can be plenty successful without one. I don't care if society would think that I'm not worth as much as someone whos finished highscool. Anyone who would think less of me if I didn't finish highschool is not someone that I want to associated with.

Its really sad the way society treats education. It seems they fail to understand that you can't teach someone who doesn't want to learn. I have learned absolutely nothing through my highschool career. I've memorized things long enough to write a test, but right after they're gone. All I've ever done in school is go through the motions, maybe its just me wanting to seem normal, maybe it was just because I didn't know any better. We're fucking ourselves over. theres a reason why its much easier to find a job in a trade than it is with a university degree. So many people think that they need to go to uni to be successful in life, they think they need a stupid degree to be happy.

Its kind of funny... when leaving my old school (a private school), the principal called my parents a couple days after. He called pretty much to tell them that I've made him realize that society is fucking itself over and we need to stop placing such an importance on degrees, and "education".

Am I just some stupid highschool pothead? Probably, but we all make our own decisions. All of us here have chosen to smoke an illegal substance, is a little fun really worth the risk to your job, your family, your life? Who are you to say that kids shouldn't drop out of highschool? Life is for enjoyment. We are born, do a bunch of pointless shit, then we die. Thats how it is for everyone. Does anything we do really matter? Humankind will go extinct eventually, its inevitable. All of our accomplishments, all of our inventions, everything everyone has ever done... Gone. Whats the point of living if you aren't enjoying your life?
    Thats why I smoke and don't give a fuck about the risks.
    Thats why I'm constantly on rooftops of buildings that I don't own.
    Thats why I eat unhealthy.
    Thats why I "waste" my time doing pointless things I enjoy.
    Thats why I wish I could drop out of highschool.

5. You can tell us all to fuck off, but the only person you're really hurting is yourself.

No one can force you to go to school, and no one can force you to give a fuck, and frankly... if you don't give a fuck about your options in life, then neither do I. But the OP asked for advice, not some teenage angst rant about how life and school is bullshit.

I've known plenty of people who had your attitude when they were in their teens. Every single one of them would now agree with rest of us: Education is the most valuable thing you'll get from this society.

I'll be blunt: You sound like a spoiled, whiny brat. I've traveled extensively, and there are kids in the world who would give absolutely anything to have the educational opportunities that are handed to you on a platter in the US / Canada. For kids living in extreme poverty, education is the only way out. There are kids in the world who literally are tortured, but god forbid you endure a classroom for several years of your life. The idea that school is torture is laughable at best. Do what you want with your life, but I'm not buying what you're selling.

6. I don't feel like reading all the replies to see if anyone has mentioned this.

I was in the same situation EXACTLY. I just opted for home school. It's sooo easy to get on homebound haha. Like ridiculously easy. You can choose from a laundry list of typical shit like insomnia, depression, anxiety. I had a legitimate problem at the time, horrible back injury sustained while working at a department store. ANYWAY..

DON'T YOU DARE DROP OUT!!!!

7. Talk about senioritis. Just bear on through it, you'll be glad you did.

8. I do the exact same thing. I'm moving out this summer and not finishing my last year in college. I would rather see how long I can survive in some forest than graduate and try to find some job that I will hate doing for the rest of my life.

Penelope's argument about education is pointless. There are people all over the world starving to death and yet I'm sure everyone has thrown out leftover food before. Just because you have access to something, it doesn't mean that certain something will make you happy. Life doesn't matter so you should just spend the time doing anything that will make you happy.

9. Let's do a poll of 40 year old high school drop outs (not 18 year old kids) and see how many of them are "happy" with the way their lives have turned out.

10. And you think that everyone that has graduated high school is "happy"?

11. #31 ZipLockBag, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
    Maybe if you payed attention in school you would be able to read. If you actually read what I said, you would've realized that that was not the point I was making at all.

School is good for tons of people. If you want to be a doctor, I'm going to expect you to have a proper degree. But for people like me, who have no interested in those kind of jobs, who would hate the kinds of jobs that you get from a university degree, its pointless. If what I'm working on now doesn't work, I'll be going into a trade, because thats the kind of thing that I would enjoy.

I really don't care if you're not buying what I'm selling, it makes no difference to me. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on any online forum. I have no reason to lie, no reason to make up shit. While you can laugh at the idea of school being torture, you are not me. The reason that school is torture to me, is because I know that it is a waste of time for me. its a waste of time for me to go to class, its a waste of time for me to do the work, its a waste of time in general, as nothing they teach in school will ever effect me, nor do I have any interested in getting a diploma.

For those kids living in extreme poverty that don't have access to education, I'd be glad to give them my spot in class. Why are we wasting taxpayers money to "educate" people like me when there are so many kids who want/need an education but can't get it?

Also, I never said that education wasn't valuable. I do agree, education is the most valuable thing that anyone can have. But schooling is not whats best suited to educate me. You can learn lessons form everything. I've gotten what I needed to out of school, I've learned all the valuable lessons that they could've taught me. But now, for me (not everyone I'd be dumb to say that school is bullshit and useless for everyone) its nothing but a waste of time thats preventing me from doing what I really want to do in life.

EDIT: As for the illusion that a highschool diploma would bring happyness... the happiest people I know didn't finish highschool. They had other things that they wanted to do in life, so they did that instead. They didn't go through university/college to do something they hate, they knew what they enjoyed doing so they did it.

12. This pretty much sums up the sentiment of (almost) everybody in this thread.

If you were like some of the people I know who are in their twenties and still require enough credits to make up for three years of high school in order to graduate, then yes, a GED would be a feasible option.

You only have a semester left, and don't you even think about skipping the other classes you have to take in order to get those credits. College entry is all about numbers, so just bite the bullet and do the best you can in all of them.

13. I didn't say that, but feel free to keep putting words in my mouth rather then listening to the valid advice that I'm giving.

The idea that life is simply about "happiness" is juvenile. Life is far more complex then that. It's about a range of emotions and experiences. Without an education, those experiences are typically reduced to working 40+ hours a week, at a shitty job, trying to support yourself and your family.

Is an education going to stop that from happening... not necessarily. That's up to the individual. But like I said above, an education is about giving yourself options in your future, not about attaining some unreachable nirvana.

14. I 100% agree. Your issue is that your definition of an education seems to be so narrow that it only involves schooling.

15. Oh and have you thought about how you will pay for college when you go? Because dropping out will not get you any scholarships and you'll be stuck (unless you have well off parents) paying student loans if you do go. You can get a free ride with a GPA that puts you in the top 10 of your class. If you are truly smart, you'll make the right decision here.

You can only do what makes YOU happy but I would highly suggest toughing out the last little bit. You've been at it for 12 years at least, right? Why stop now when you are almost there?

16. Again, never said that.

This thread is ABOUT school. If this were a thread about education beyond school, then my answers would be different.

17. OP are you good at anything productive? Can you make a respectable living without a college degree (60K+)?

I'm not trying to be blunt, but you just seem like a typical teenager about to do something dumb. That fact that you are only doing this for your high school girlfriend is absurd.

Just stay in school, go to college. You haven't struck me as anyone special who would benefit from taking the GED.

18. Thanks for letting me know about this. I've been trying to find someone that got their GED and then finished some college.

I'll be able to manage the "real world" because I'm responsible. I really just want to go on with college. Get a degree. Start a business. Make the best out of the American system.

I understand a lot more of life than most people would assume. I've experienced a lot in my 18 years. There are many alternatives to a "9 to 5" life.

I'm eligible for a lot of federal aid because I'm a poor kid with a single mom.

19. Never said you did, said that it seemed like it. :)

20. Dude if you only need two more classes then graduate early. That's what I did. I graduated a semester early, went to a community college for my second semester and then transferred to a good university as a freshman with the rest of my class. Best decision of my life so far. You can get a semesters worth of credits towards your major instead of wasting your time in high school.