Chasing Happiness Or Money

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by JamaicanBacon, Jun 24, 2014.

1. I'm in a real rut. Im stuck on either joining the military (marines) for he financial stability or chasing my dream of playing professional soccer in spain. The lord says that worship of money is an empty sin. A sin which so many people fall into  without even realizing it. Lust for wealth, lust for oneself pleasure. Ive heard that chasing money also is a waste of a life and often leads to emptiness in ones life. 

What do you guys think i should do and why? also how do you feel about happiness vs. empty wealth?

2. Not really into the big god thing man but defence force / military for sure, plus once you're in the military have they're own soccer team you can play for so you get the best of both worlds, plus if you're lucky enough the military will make you play for their international team, and any injuries they cover themselves so it really is the better option

Sent from my C6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I feel that the people who say "money cant buy happiness" have never had a large sum of money.

I have, and it was the happiest 6months of my life, everything was going right for me. Not that I needed it to be happy, I was just happier than when I didnt have it.

Chasing money is unhealthy though. You should never just do something for money.

And unless you like dying, dont join the military, it is hardly the perfect solution they try to brainwash you into thinking it is. Ask anyone who joined for those reasons.

4. You should chase neither money nor happiness, they tend to come to those who do not seek them.

Just live your life and see what happens

5. what if i get scouted, could i just leave the military and go play for a team. Or would i have to wait until my duty is done

6. If you would be joining the military just for financial stability and don't think you could actually be happy doing that, then I wouldn't do it.

It doesn't have to be between two extremes. If you chase your dream and don't end up making it, there are thousands of potential careers out there, consider that maybe there are other things you could still be happy doing and could provide you with at least a moderate amount of financial stability. 

7. If you get scouted for soccer you're still employed under the military but if war breaks out they'll send you away but until then you're just like every other guy in the military but you go play soccer whilst they do something else, pretty sure you can email the military with questions about sports and what would happen if you were to join and play in their team, just check their website and see if there is any information on it or call their office, better to know then to assume :)

Sent from my C6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. If you think your going to find happiness in things external of yourself, your going to find yourself on an endless journey.  You'll find temporary happiness here and there, but ultimately, everything will fall short over time.  Try to put yourself as a 90 year old man on your death bed, think about what you would have wanted out of life, or what you would have wanted to do more of...  once you find what those things are, GO DO THEM NOW while you have time!!!  No one says your going to live till 90 or even close to that number... we should all be so lucky. 

I like that.

But, if you're not sure in what direction to take your life, my suggestion would be to just follow what excites you the most.

10. I'm not sure how the military appeals to anyone. Strict regimented days, guys only, end goal of killing people... Yikes. If your in a position that you find yourself able to pursue your soccer dreams/goals and it is attainable and relatively stable enough elsewhere in life, go for it man. If your hoping to join la liga then daaayum lol you must be good:p

Sent from half way across the world using Grasscity Forum

11. I feel you and good post. But its like the people who go train hopping to see the world and enjoy it. Yeah they're broke but they're doing something they really wanna do. Being broke and doing something sick like playing soccer in freaking Spain...go for that over money any day. Only thing that beats playing soccer in spain for free is playing soccer in Spain for money. Not saying you don't agree with me though. Just providing another similar perspective.

12. pursue soccer ... killing sucks

13. This... Op look at the man above who said those 6 months were the happiest he ever was. Happiness like that will always come to an end because he sought it in external things. True happiness comes from within.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

14. Chase the money and then buy the happiness.

15. #16 Boats And Hoes, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    ... don't listen to Tony, kids... he was a drug head with anger issues... and he had a pretty fcked up death. You don't want that to be you. :hide:

16. Why are you chasing?

.. because homosapiens are organisms hardwired by nature herself, to strive for survival and enhancement. Duh.

... or, are you indeed suggesting that humans posses the capacaity, ability, and freedom to intentionally alter comportment?... such as the cessation of chasing "illusions"?

Happy Ramadan everybody! God bless you all.

18. Lmao I haven't suggested a thing my friend. Only posed a question.

Your very question has implications... even if you do not want to, at the moment, acknowledge them.