Charges of voter intimidation dropped!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stoned budda, Jul 30, 2009.

1. #1 stoned budda, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Why were charges dropped against The Black Panther Party for Voter intimidation at the poll in Philadelphia?​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU&feature=related"]Video evidence.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OsPDW7p74&NR=1"]More video evidence.[/ame]

Seems pretty clear cut to me. What would they say if it were two white guys with night sticks?​

2. How many people have actually been convicted of electoral fraud? If they let everyone else get away with it, then it's SOP to let these guys go as well and has nothing to do with the fact that they're a minority.

3. How many other video's have you seen of people dressed in military garb with night sticks standing in front of the doors to a polling location?

What would you say if it were White guys in fatigues with night sticks?

Your reasoning is just a little naive.

4. #4 Arteezy, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Touche. I haven't seen many videos showing that, but that is a very specific scenario. There definitely have been other cases of voter fraud where charges were dropped and the entire thing blew over just like this will.

The exact same thing. I'm not saying it's right that they let them go. I'm saying that they let everyone go. The Justice Department is a giant load of horse shit. Our entire justice system has become some sort of sick game of whoever has the most influence and $$$ wins.

5. They may let everyone go but as you said its a very specific scenario, a very blatant act, and it should IMO have been prosecuted for the very reason that it was unique in a direct intimidating manner. You may have looked the other way if they were white guys but the justice dept. would have made poster boys for hate crimes out of them.

6. ^^^Agree 100%^^^ There is a racial double standard in this country....Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be marching in the streets demanding justice if it was white guys who got off.

7. I saw this and shook my head in disbelief

But ive been doing that alot when it comes to the politics of this country these days

8. *shake head*

Another KKK clan.

9. Because none of you seem to have a basic understand of the western legal system.

I know almost nothing about this case -- But from taking 20 seconds to read about it; it occurs to me that Mens Reus would be extremely difficult to illustrate to a judge or jury.

10. Why would it be hard to prove mens Reus? They obviously were of the mental state to intimidate perspective voters, this is proven by the night stick they carried in plain view and their militant attire. I think it could have been proven quite easily to a jury.

While I respect your opinions you have to have a basic knowledge of racism in this country to understand that had those been white men, mens reus, or any other legal hurdle would have been cast to the wind and they would be crucified.

11. I fucking HATE what became of the black panthers. They're nothing like the OG's

12. I could see Huey Newton and Bobby Seale doing the same thing. It aint changed all that much.