Chappelle's Show/Dave Chappelle In General

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by Kevin08, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Anyone else think this show ended just a bit too early?! It's like he left us wanting so much more in season 3, but of course we all know he went crazy and took his trip to Africa, but that's just what happens i guess when huge sums of money come at you all at once. Anyways, feel free to talk about your favorite sketches, mine have to be Tyrone Biggums at School, Trading Spouses, Charlie Murphy with Rick James/Prince, and of course the Clayton Bigsby one. I really hope to meet Dave sometime in real life, his comedy is seriously priceless, a true comedic genius. He is like what Eddie Murphy was to the 80's, without all the shitty singing ;). His standups are hilarious too, i can literally quote half of his "Killing Them Softly" routine, i just can't get enough of it. "Hey! Hey baby, what you doing?! It's 3 in the morning!"- "I'm selling weed *****, what's it look like i'm doing?!" Hahaha Ok, enough ranting, discuss and enjoy!

2. chappelles dope.

one of the best comedians ever.

but where did that "he went crazy" thing come from i never found out??

3. Well he got offered 50 million for the third season of his show and somewhere between South Africa and the deal, he went a little crazy. He stopped appearing in the public eye, no one talked to him for weeks, until he came back and said he was done with the show, one hella sad day :rolleyes:

4. #4 Novek, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010

Incorrect, he quit the show because he didnt like the direction the show had taken and also during the filming of the "pixie skit" for episode 3, a skit that was suppose to highlight racial stereotypes, he noticed a crew member laughing in a way that made him feel unconfortable. He said it was the first time he felt that someone was REALLY laughing AT HIM, and not with him.

Kinda like someone who is making fun of themselves and thinks everyone is laughing with them but secretly evenyone is saying, "look at that idiot".

He voiced his concern with the network and thats when they offered him the 50 mill, to continue doing the show and to finish season 3. He said he felt like a "network prostitute" and that no amount of money could make him continue. He didn't initially decline the offer. He went AWOL to really do some reasoning, to see whats really important to him, take the money and make it seem like people can buy your dignity or quit and salvage what little dignity he had left. In end he chose the latter.

Him going crazy is just a stupid rumor. He was already rich. I don't see how a rich person goes crazy from being offered 50 mill. Think about it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Me and my boys talk about this alll the time lol, on some boring nights we just wish we could burn and turn on the t.v and watch some new episodes of Chapelle's show, one of the greatest if not the greatest shows to be on. Comedy Central.

Novek is right on the story of what happened but I also heard he was working crazy hours a day on that show everyday...I think that would drive anyone to the point of quitting at some point even for the 50 mill.

6. Half baked, the only steriotypical stoner movie that I really like.

It's sad that he quit, I wish that he just kept doing his thing for his fans and not care what the others thought.

7. Ya me too, what did he expect to happen once he started making money? Haters turn into moochers, moochers become entourage, etc. I think he made a good decision to stop before he got "too big", cuz it's pretty hard to get out of the entertainment industry as a comedian without taking some hard hits, i.e. Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor.

8. I'm pretty bummed that Chappelle's Show ended as well although I understand why Dave did what he did. Chappelle's Show wasn't for racists to laugh at stereotypes, but rather the racial skits were intended to ease race relations through humor.

But I digress. Dave is great and thankfully the CS rift didn't end his career. He also lives a couple hours away from here in an awesome college town called Yellow Springs.

9. He wasn't concerned with haters he was afraid that while funny, a lot of the skits were actually reinforcing negative stereotypes about non whites. I actually commend him for turning down that much money in favor of keeping his integrity. I miss the show and think it actually improves race relations but what are you gonna do. You shouldn't throw around the word crazy when talking about someones state of mind tho. Especially when you don't know what happened.

10. Supposedly he really just started playing WoW... By far the most believable and probably is correct.

When you are in a seriously raiding guild in wow, there is no time for anything else.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KvLZ3gdBhw]YouTube - Tupac - I wrote this song in '94 [by Dave Chappelle][/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  12. dave chappelle was the best comic since pryor. he really knew how to make fun of race and make a learning experience. the white family called the *****r family and clayton bigsby are 2 of the best...

also check out the 'block party' movie, shit is awesome. dude reunited the fugees for 1 show.

13. something a lot of apprentices probably don't know
    is that dave chappelle
    is one of the few
    black actors
    to
    not
    have sold himself out
    to N.W.O

look up
    black masonic
    on youtube
    its a 3 part thing about ten minutes each video
    deep shit

14. just watched these 3 videos... fuckin wow man, crazy shit. dude said the samuel jackson had sex with george lucus!!! made me laugh my ass off, if that's true fuckin crazy.

15. i know dude
    and morpheus.....should've known
    flaming faggots
    lmao
    no offense
    watch the videos to see whats up h.o i'll post em brb

16. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq_h56TogHY]YouTube - Blk Masonic-1[/ame]

^^part 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9carHO6i8o]YouTube - Blk Masonic Celebrities-Pt 2[/ame]
    ^^^ part 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DREa8beT_mI]YouTube - Blk Masonic-3/The Finale[/ame]
    ^^^^ part 3 the finale:wave:

17. I hope he does stand up again. He has some really good delivery(It doesn't seem like hes forcing the punch line.) I've been watching Comedy Central and going to comedy clubs since I was real young. He blows the hell out of Daniel Tosh, Dane Cook, Mencia, and any other half assed comic.

I hope he gets an HBO special or something. And I hope Comedy Central gets off the mainstream Micheal Dunnamn, Tosh, Cook, blah, blah blah, bullshit.

Theres so many comics that have only had one or two "Comedy Central Presents: ..." Meanwhile they destroy people like Cook and Tosh, but Cook and Tosh are young and "Hot" so they are more marketable.

18. Dave knows some shit about hollywood that would shatter that industry. I think thats why he went "Crazy" .

19. blaken
    my good sir
    i think you may just be crazy
    for even introducing that prospect.....
    ;):hippie:

20. This he-yuh. This here.