Changing Sex.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Jan 24, 2013.

1. What is a woman? Well, aside from anything else, she is a collection of specific body parts, often accompanied by hair, nails, shoes and makeup. Or is she a specific type of consciousness emitting a certain feminine frequency?

So, what changes when someone who is born male, feels a need to become who ‘she’ has always known she really is?

Once you let go of the masculine past, who we see before us is now female. She looks and sounds female (hopefully), has had various operations or taken chemicals to assist this.

So does this mean that what matters, what has always mattered, call it the spirit, the soul, is female born into a male body? Is male regardless of any changes? Or who we feel we are is all that matters?

2. Maybe we are deluded in the first step, the assumption that there is truth to a duality being presented as male/female.

What if... in truth.. we are awareness with observable characteristics?

3. Nice. :)

I agree. We are most definitely awareness, and may have experienced ourselves as both male and female many times already if you believe we have all been here before that is. Although, having said that, as there is only now, WE haven't been here before, and yet we may also be here in every way possible at the same time.

I find the idea of homosexuality, transsexualism, interesting from this perspective. Even though we are letting go of gender types, stereotypes, or just types in general, which is freeing us up to explore ourselves in ways we never felt able to before. In the same way I see the idea of All That Is being both the sum of everything and the cause of it, and in being all that is, it would make sense to experience itself in every way possible, and therefore the sexual thing is just another facet of its existence.

Perhaps we have always been this way but never realised it or acknowledged it, or that this really is new in many ways. But whatever it is, it indicates how much more we are as a species than we have been. I like to think this reveals consciousness becoming more of itself as we do.

4. Sex is strictly a biological thing while gender deals with the personality. so the gender may be female ,but the sex is a male.

5. Female and male, to me only describe anatomy. mentally there is not male or female. you are who you are whether the extra skin on your body is located on your chest or on your crotch

6. #6 NativeSoundz, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
    My ancestors are from the Lakota tribe in South Dakota....they and other native tribes had a name for what we call "gay"...

these people were called "Two-Spirits"....it was an honor to be a Two Spirit, it was a gift to be able to assume both the male and female roles at your choosing....you were respected by everyone in the tribe

somewhere along the way this idea was lost. It became taboo and gender roles became very black n white

look up "Two-Spirits" ...you'll probably find a lot about Navajo people,it's really interesting to read....at least I think so

7. I'd just like to claim the fruit I was blessed with in this life

8. Estrogen levels change, right? And what about a menstrual cycle? And giving birth? Being a woman sucks beyond the free drinks at the bar and always looking cute...

9. I've often felt glad that I don't need to be one.

10. I like it.

Personally I never cared much for the "God made you that way so be happy with it" idea

Just as we dress and do our hair to express who we are, changing your looks weather it be tattoos or surgery is just an extension of.your individuality.

The only problem I see is the getting what you want mentality. Yes its good to want but some people are just not satisfied.

Don't get boobs and then be unhappy with the choice. Once you make a choice be happy with ig

11. ^good point.

That's why at least in the UK, anyone looking for a full sex change op, must wait a year and go through counselling, before the surgery can take place on the NHS.

On a lesser level, where someone is simply not happy with the way they look, perhaps not so much here as the NHS doesn't just do cosmetic surgery, but the mentality of not accepting yourself as you are - the grass is greener over there kind of thing, may not lead to any profound changes once surgery takes place. May, being the operative word, as I know there are some for whom surgery releases them.

But knowing you are in the wrong body, at least that's how it seems to those who do, won't matter whether they see themselves as 'awareness with observable characteristics', things are far more real and in the present to be seen philosophically.

Perhaps on some level there is no male/female, not in any real sense, but in this life, for most, the definition is quite real, and if you felt you were unable to express yourself without being seen and accepted as the opposite sex to the one you were born in, who are we to say that is not a valid thing to experience?