Changing lights during veg

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by r.barthes, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hello everyone
    I need ask a quick question. I've been running 400w sylviana hps for veg. Its been almost a month and i got the electric bill today and its higher then i expected. I'm trying to find some solutions now. What happens if i change my light to metal halide ? Can plants adopt the change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. changing the bulb to a 400w anything, will still use 400 watts of electricity, so the bill won't change. Further to that, MH produces about half the lumens compared to HPS of the same wattage

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If you been vegging 3 weeks, throw into flower. You will cut 6 hours a day off your bill. How big are your plants?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you for the responses folks
    I thought changing the bulbs will work. So i throw that idea away :)
    I'm still thinking flipping to 12/12. Here are couple of photos

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  5. One of your plants is already flowering.

6. Yes, sorry i forgot to add that info. That's an automatic strain(Northern)
    The other strains are:
    Pineapple Chunk, Vanilla Kush, Amnesia Haze, Critical jack and Super Lemon Haze.

7. Had the same problem. Increased bill was 2X what I had hoped! Going to flower is probably best bet. But it will cut your yield. So the other option is to ride it out and then wait a bit before starting next grow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I'm about to do the same ( well not really the same) thing, I am adding another small space and light to my room,
    I know power prices are different everywhere, but how much does that 400w light bump up your electric bill on average
    My wife is trying to tell me that 350 true watts of LED is bumping the power bill 200$ higher a month, that was 12/12 , there's no way right?

9. usage has diff rates for diff hours. I went thru my house and started to change a few things, such as making sure lights are not on when not being used....not using sterio while watching TV, not leaving Game consoles, Laptops on etc. You would be suprised how much you can shave it to be "normal". I hope this helps

10. The small ones(the ones in the top in the first picture, left ones in the second picture) are in week 4 and they are growing slower than the other ones. I think its also because of the coco coir. The other ones are 6 weeks old. So the young ones not seem to be ready for flowering yet. How long do you people usually veg ? I thought between 6-8 weeks veg will be good to flip to 12/12

I don't know anything about LED but last month i paid 100$ for 400w Hps. I just bought a carbon filter but i dont think its going to make a huge difference on electricity bill.

10 days ago when i see the bill i check all the devices around the house. I even change couple of tungsten bulbs to LED bulbs :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Standard indoor veg (not for autos) is 50-60 give or take a few. OldGoat and you have the right idea with cutting down elsewhere as well!

12. That's what I figured, so 400w light normal veg maybe 50 or 60$, even with my fan there is no way it should be bumping it up 200$ a month
    Yep, I went thru before I started and switched out any old style bulb for cfl's, about to switch to the LED bulbs, like 6 w compared to the 23w cfl's we use
    We are pretty good here about unplugging chargers, laptops, shutting off consoles etc, etc,
    I think my landlord accidentally hooked his new furnace and entire hvac system into my power, that 200$ bump started around the same time, I'm gonna have to buy a meter, write down the #'s and do the math I guess
    Thanks y'all
    Boom

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good luck. Shady if you're paying for that furnace. Mine jumped up by $60 when I was hoping for $30. Was not happy. Let us know how the saga froceeds!

14. Yep, I'm about to go into the attic and see if I can follow the lines, nah, if that's the case it was definitely a misty by the hvac guys, this cat is a good dude and not malicious ( I think )

• Like Like x 1
  15. How much do you pay for your electricity? I pay £0.13 per KWh. So if I had a 400w light plus fans, altogether I would guess it comes to about 500watts. If I had it all running 24/0 then that would be 12KWh per day.

12x £0.13 = £1.56 per day.
    30x £1.56 = £46.80 per month.

That would then be halved when flowering

16. I only pay 12 cents, where they have been getting me is all the add ons and " power transport " charges, been running a 600w hid+ 2 Mars hydros another 360w, plus fans , extraction equipt, heat mat, all that kinda stuff 18 hrs a day, should be a good chunk o change, we'll see how we do when the bill comes in....