Changing furnace filters

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by tootall, Feb 11, 2020.

1. So I've been in the new home 3ish yrs now. Have always rented before, never dealt with filters. I changed the big filter every couple months the past couple winters. Well heat wasn't working the other day, and needed reset, woke up this morning and was off again. Went and pulled the filter, and that's when I saw it. There's another filter in there, a smaller 1. It's the intake filter I believe, and boy it's bad lmao. I work till late so just shut it completely off till I get the filter after work. Here's a pic I took to not forget the size later, but you can see just how bad it is. The entire filter looks like the bit showing in the pic. At least the furnace didnt blow up. 20200208_055047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dam high limit was definitely tripping on that

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah that's a pretty clogged up filter you have there. Could even have the potential to cause a fire but I am no expert.

4. Dirty dirty! That can cause it to not stay on

5. Shutting off sounds more like an electrical interruption. At least with the Honeywell style thermostat, have you put a fresh AA battery in the thermostat every year?

6. I had the furnace serviced and repaired. The guy said it was actually missing parts too, which was why it was turning off. Also said it's 45 yo and probably will need replaced within a decade. Thanks for looking out yall!

Sent from the second star to the right

• Like Like x 1