Changed 'lights on' to night time

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Ben Vincent, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Hi all, i have been reading the posts on this site and i'm loving the wealth of knowledge available, it seems now however that i need to ask a question of my own (a little nerve racking lol)

So, here goes.....

As it is getting towards the summer months and i am growing up in the loft space, heat has become an issue.... so i decided that when i switched to 12/12 (last wednesday) that i would switch between lights on in the day, to lights on at night.... and my plants have started turning an almost golden colour on the new growths (the picture is borrowed from the net but it highlights my problem very well) or at least i think this is whats caused it. My question is this - is this a problem? will it affect anything or will the plants get used to the different temperature schedule?

Please Help :confused:

Attached Files:

2. I have seen certain stains turn a light green on new growth, as long as there's no nutrient burn, i'd increase the feed/water ratio, yellowing often means lack of nitrogen.

You've just switched to flowering - expect "Light green" not yellowing - if yellow as stated above give it another high shot of nitrogen (Bio Grow etc)

What Nutes are you using?

3. Hi Kaos, thanks for replying,

it's more a golden colour specific to the new growth not an un healthy (looking) colour, in fact it's very pleasant to look at lol, i was just a bit worried as i do have a little bit of nute burn on some of the older leaves (about 3mm at the end of the tips)

Thanks again

4. Hi again,

forgot to mention, i am using an orchid grow complex.... sounds silly but in my hydro shop, i saw it and thougt it was a less obvious way of selling products related to mj lol gormless eh, and i felt it too when the guy pointed out that in fact it was called orchid grow for a very good reason!! doh! it does however have a good proportion of the correct nutrients (i think)

5. On the side of the Bottle of "Orchid" nutes whats the NPK ratio?

I've just searched google but it comes back with 2.0/0.6/2.0 - but there are other brands that are 22/0.8/12.

The Biogrow formula Has an NPK Ratio of 8/2/6...
    The Biobloom has NPK of 2/6/3.5

Do you have a Blooming nutrient?

6. H Kaos,

unfortunately the quantities are in %w/v but are as follows:-

nitrogen - nitrate = 2.19
    phosphorus = 0.56
    potassium = 1.76
    calcium = 1.76
    magnesium = 0.64
    sulphur = 0.18
    iron = 0.07
    manganese = 0.02
    boron = 0.004
    zinc = 0.004
    copper = 0.002
    molybdenum = 0.0009
    cobalt = 0.0001
    nickel = 0.0001
    humic & fulvic acids = 0.25

I do have Canna Flores which i have been advised to start using in about 2 weeks after starting flowering as the plants will still be using the nitrogen from the grow complex up till about then

i was thinking about using a booster for extra yield, however as i understand it, this increases flowering time, and i simply havent got any extra time till proposed harvest as i have to leave town for 4 days and need everything shut down till i come back (tight schedule) but if there is any advice for next grow (seedling in germ as soon as i return) it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

7. There you have it... Lack of nitrogen.

At a guess the plants been fine using the composts nutrients but having ran out the feed you have doesn't provide no where near enough..
    I've used the canna products before they're good - i'm guessing you live outside the US as not many US growers use they're range..
    I'd use the flores from the start of flowering and skip the two week wait as you gilrs arn't getting enough nutes which in 6 weeks time you'll know about so best to top her up now.
    If you can get hold of some Manure, add a cup full to a litre of water, leave for a day to bind and strain, add the flores 1/4 strength and water the plant - that should perk it up in a couple of days, repeat for 3-4 waterings then just continue with the flores... you should see a difference in a week.
    Lush green follage - thats the ticket ;)

All aside - get both Canna nutrients for the next grow and learn from this - experience comes with practice, and not everyone is gitfed with luck...

gl on the grow
    :smoking:

8. I hope you switched cycles by leaving them dark for 24 hours then turning on the lights. It's never a good idea to change the day/night cycle but if you MUST you should do it by extending one night cycle rather than leaving the lights on.

As for your problem, it's already been said. Orchid food is not good cannabis food. Belive it or not people DO grow orchids indoors and those products are meant for that.

9. Hi Kaos,

Thanks for the advice - i'm not sure if i could get hold of a cup of manure... is there something in my local hydro store i could pick up for the nitrogen boost that would work in conjunction with the flores? or should i just go straight on with the flores and see how i go?

I don't live in US i'm UK based, but luckily i have a hydro shop a short walk away.

Hi Oldschoolgrower, don't worry, i feel sufficiently foolish for purchasing the orchid feed and will not be repeating that particular mistake on my next venture (i intend to find a host of new mistakes to learn from)

Once again i am indebted to your knowledge. I have taken some recent pics of my ladies and will post them up tomorrow if your interested to see

10. #10 Kaos6669a, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
    As i thought - Me too.

If your going to do another grow and have the cash for the Grow Nutes buy em and give it a good feed of that.

Have a look here - Homemade Fertilizers | How To Make | Fertilizer Recipes | Tips |Natural Fertilizers

I has some home made ideas for nitrgoen, from used coffee to egg shells.

Check it out.

Me personally - i'd buy both parts of the nutrients, and then your clear.
    Oh an, i dont know where bouts you are, but in the City - I Get quite a high PH (7.8 from the tap) - would be wise to buy a PH testing kit (Cheapo) and PH Down/Up if needed. but maybe do this for the next grow.

:D

11. Thanks Kaos,

i'll definately get the canna vega to go with the flores.... i was just a little naiive origainlly regarding nutes

And i will also pick up a PH testing kit... am i right in thinking i test the run off after watering?

I'll also put my pics up from last night after i return from town so if you can see if i need anything else, please let me know :D

12. good Man :)

As for the run off - i've never done it, i bough a Digital Meter and pre treat all water with PH Down, prior to adding nutes - then the run off is irrelivant.

Digital Meter from a phonics shop over here is £30 - Worth it if your PH is high and contstantly needs changing. PH down/up is extremely concentrated... you only need a drop or two per galon of water.
    I'd buy a dispodable to get your initial reading, different areas have different suppliers sho yours might be 7 or under as most tap water is.

PH of your water should be 5.8-6.5.

If you have a way of collecting rain water - use this.
    Also leave any feeding water out over night to remove chlorine.

13. Hi Kaos,

I will get a ph kit as soon as my hydro shop is open (went down there to find the guy had f'd off to the races!)

I used the flores for the first time last night. Here are some pics from friday :)

Attached Files:

14. Your RH is very low - Problems with growing in an attic :(

but other than that - they look fine, not as yellow as you made out lol, i'd give it one good watering with grow nutes then continue with bloom.

RH for Veg ideally - 50-60
    RH for Flower Ideally - 50

15. Hi Kaos,

They were somewhat more yellow on the 17th! lol, but they are looking greener now ;)

I have a humidifyer up there but it doesnt seem to get above 39% lights on, and highest is 51% lights off

What could be the pitfalls associated with low r/h? i figured at least bud rot has less chance in low r/h lol

16. Heat stress more than anything, the fan leaves become brittle and dont function as normally as they would at a constant corrected RH.
    Basically - Less end result guy :(

17. I think i should be able to keep it at about 39% during lights on. I hope that it wont affect the end result too much (fingers crossed) oh, i had 40-45mm growth on 3 quarters of my ladies yesterday.... the best recorded growth so far, so hopefully my luck will hold and i'll come out at the end with a smile ;)