Challenges To Freedom Of Speech On College Campuses

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Praetorian, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Yes, it's kind of obvious that restricting people's right to protest is big government in action. Are you claiming otherwise?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for at least confirming that you're only here to offer biased and prejudged opinion, without actually examining the video and points that the thread is based on.

Do you do this a lot?

• Like Like x 1
  3. yes, in every thread he posts in. every single day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don't we all throw our own biased opinions into threads here?

Everyone is biased one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Says one of Donald Trump's biggest supporters. :)

6. Those arent laws, those are statutes. There are very few legitimate laws here, just a bunch of bullshit people think they have to obey because they are ignorant of what law actually is.

I take your point though. Seatbelt statute, wtf?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shapiro is a damned near genius. You would do well to listen to him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ben shapiro? Just saw he was on rogans podcast

Sent from my VS985 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I agree that people becoming violent or trying to actively disrupt events is problematic. I'm not a fan and I think it's childish/harmful. I do think it's an issue and should be talked about but is given disproportionate attention to the size of the actual issue imo. For every evergreen college and uc Berkeley there's thousands of public colleges operating perfectly fine without massive disruptions. Like with most things in our social media world every major conflict is elevated to the nth proportion and spammed all over the web while normal interactions are overlooked. Not to say we shouldn't discuss the issue or criticize idiots who are violent. Just to say that not every college is like this.

10. One of these bills would allow the cops to seize assets of protest organizers not just for them inciting violence. But if literally any violence occurs at these protests even if the person is not directly affiliated to the organizers. In larger protests for example like the woman's march there were hundreds of thousands if not millions of people marching. Even the most competent protest organizer can not possibly be expected to maintain order amongst hundreds of thousands of protestors. The police should punish the individuals who are committing crimes during protests not punish protest organizers. This type of law would have a chilling effect on protest because many groups like antifa and black block coopt protests to cause disruption. The laws pertaining to blocking the road I think are more reasonable. The ones about indemnifying drivers are pretty sketchy if you look at the actual wording of the language. The point is that many of these so called free speech advocates seem to only ever be concerned with attacks on free speech from the left and ignore from the right. It was the republican official who had a West Virginian reporter arrested for trying to ask Tom price a basic question about healthcare. The point is to consistently support free speech. I think the people who use violence to intimidate speakers are despicable and so are the bills on seizing assets of protest organizers. Both have a chilling effect on the first amendment which I value greatly.

11. Yup. I'm a big fan of him and Joe Rogan.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sharpio is an Israeli shill continuously spewing pro Israeli propaganda. I can't listen to the bastard because of this.

13. #53 Praetorian, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Agreed. Shapiro is on point with a lot of stuff.

Our resident leftists wouldn't know it since they'd never listen to what he actually has to say, but he is very frequently critical of Trump as well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. #54 Praetorian, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    I agree with you that not every college is like this, but at the same time I don't think the issue is given "disproportionate attention" whatsoever.
    There are several universities that have made a name for themselves in various yet similar capacities regarding this matter recently and this culmination is why it is being brought up in the mainstream now.

When nonsense like this can go on at major universities, there is an issue and it is good they are pointing it out more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I ageee in the mainstream press this has been undercovered. But in the online media and podcast world I feel this is a really over discussed subject. I like Joe Rogan but there's only so many times for example I can listen to a talk about sjws and collleges before I feel like he's just spinning in his own wheels. Not to say there's not merit in talking about it.

16. I'm glad you value the 1st amendment. I laid out my thoughts on the individual stuff up there and stand by what I said. Enacting some common sense stuff like that would actually go a long way in protecting actual free speech. It will cut down on the bullshit. Most of these people are paid protesters that are shipped in to places to start shit. Paid for by one of many PAC's that are owned by one person. What this thread is about, and others on this topic, is literally showing the 1st amendment getting trampled on. People starting a riot to shut down speech they don't like. Thats bullshit and counterproductive. COWARDS that hide behind burkas and masks while doing their deeds NEED to be unmasked. Again, if they were forced to unmask I have a feeling a lot of this shit would stop alltogether. Why else wear a mask unless your gonna do some pussy shit like smash someone in the face with a big bike chain and run away like a bitch. All because they don't share the right ideas.
    People starting riots is not free speech.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Rogan still maintains a healthy variety of topics on his podcast. It's not all about SJW's.

Podcasts with his close buddies like Duncan Trussell, Joey Diaz, Eddie Bravo, for example, are generally just dudes getting high and talking about MMA and comedy. People like Graham Hancock and Randall Carson are always there for talk about lost civilizations, alternate histories etc.

Rogan is a cultural podcaster and an Unmentionables popping, pot smoking California Liberal. To have someone like him focus any of his serious attention on the ongoing college speech problem is a solid indicator to how culturally relevant this has become.
    Considering he's a comedian, and that major comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock refuse to perform @ universities due to hyper PC culture and every joke being deemed "offensive", I'd say he's covering it adequately enough. It is directly relevant to his world as an "offensive" comedian.
    Accordingly, his audience has been asking for Shapiro for a while now and are positively reacting to the episode with almost a million views with less than a day up.

upload_2017-8-3_12-44-23.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've never worn a burqa so I can't comment on them but I bet on a cold windy day they'd be fair snug. If you could source a gortex one I'd nearly try one. As I get old I'm starting to be wary of rain and damp. Where I live it rains a lot.

Covering your face when engaging government forces is a smart move. The state films gatherings they don't agree with and it could make life ugly for any young soul caught on camera. There's nothing cowardly about covering up, it would be silly not to.

I'd be far more wary of the lads who don't cover up, they're the real mad bastards.

19. Nahh, pretty clear who the criminals are here. For every good guy who masked his face (if there is such a thing) there were many others simply looking to do violence or damage property, and get away with it.

I see masks like this twat on the street, I'm giving them zero quarter. Glad to see he was identified and charged.

• Like Like x 1

20. Are we back to these cartoon like arguments again?

Stay there while I rush off and get a video of a Trump supporter punching someone.
    That's sure to show you and the world that I'm right! Just you wait!

• Like Like x 1