Cfls or 150w hps?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Blaze DeChron, May 9, 2013.

1. Hey guys I need some help here, I am currently flowering two plants in a DWC, I have 9 cfls on them right now, day 23 of flower, I can afford the 150w HID kit that comes with ballast mh and hps lights, a timer etc..
    But my question is, is it worth it for only 150w hps instead of 9-10 cfls or should I just stick with my cfls, I want to yield as much as possible and this is my first DWC grow and my first big indoor grow where I can get plants over 12 in tall lol. Please help I need to know by Friday!! Thanks blades!

2. HID are always beter 150 of hid put out way more lumens than 150 watts of cfl's just count the watts and lumens up. why not use both. if heat might be a issue keep the cfl's

3. Hps man all the way, i went with cfl my first three grows fourth got a hps 150wat from hydrofarm for 70, basically doubled my yield man

4. How many plants with the 150w and how tall?

Here's mine

image-3551498721.jpg

image-2412612750.jpg

image-4211649096.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, iPhones suck lol or mines just worn and torn.

5. Well I know that man lol I have 900 watts of cfls that's why I'm asking if 150w is worth replacing them with. But I'll keep them for side lighting if I do get the hps.

6. #6 Blaze DeChron, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    Hey trueweed, wasn't trying to be a dick, I re-read that and I was like fuck that sounded mean lol my bad I'm just baked.. I'm making three different kinds of hash/hash oil and testing as I go and purging and testing more.. I'm just medicated.. :-D

7. HPS gives off more lumens so I'd go with that and use cfls as side lighting.

8. 900watts lol

9. #9 GoldGrower, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    it fully depends on how many watts your cfls are. calculating the actual watts used by cfls or small hps there is not much difference in the output if you use the correct amount of space for the lights used

if you have 900watts of CFL this will give you a fuck load more bud than a 150w hps

with 900watts of CFL you should really have about 9 square foot to make the best of the watts consumed. a 150w hps isn't going to cover much more than 1 square foot as the spread will be so small from the one bulb, but you will be able to grow the plants taller and still make use of available light

but dude, if your using 900watts why don't you just buy a 400 or 600w hps, save yourself some electricity cost and get much more bud at the same time. a 400 or 600 hps will cover the same amount of space (about 9 square feet) and you will only have one bulb to adjust, and you won't have to do anywhere near the amount of training that you have to with CFLs

10. Thanks man that makes sense, I just can't afford the 400 or 600w right now lol just the 150w kit, if i save up to Get the 400w then id be another week or two into flower and idk about switching up my lighting then.. -_-. I'm buying from my local hydro store/headshop though should I check online? They're asking around $400 for the 400w-1000w setups.

11. Are you talking about 900 actual watts or 900 incandescent equivalent watts? I'm guessing its the latter as 9 100w cfl probably would have cost you over $400 and you would have considered hps a lot sooner.

Cfl's work well, but they don't penetrate nearly as well. Their lumens fall off very quickly if they are more than a foot away from the bud sites.

12. Equivalent watts lol sorry, yeah that would be expensive, all the cfls I have now cost probably around $75. And yeah that's what I've read about cfls it just seems everyone feels different about them..

13. forget "equivalent watts". that just compares them to incandescents, which are not suitable for growing plants so the figure is irrelevant.

so at a guess I'd say each of those 9 bulbs are about 25 watts each. so about 225 for the lot. if used correctly that will give you as much bud as a 150w hps but the grow box will be differently shaped. taller and narrower for the hps and wider and shorter for the CFLs.

for personal preference I would go with the hps as it just one bulb and less training

a 400watt digital dimmable ballast only costs about £70 from UK eBay. man, lights are expensive in your country

14. Yes they are bro and I can't figure out why lol, and I found a 400w HID kit on amazon for $125, it comes with the hood fixture, dimmable ballast, HPS and MH bulbs, a timer ( which I have two of already but it just comes with, an extra couldn't hurt lol) and ratchet type hanging hooks. Seems like a dope ass deal, but for that cheap you can't always guarantee too high of quality.. The brand is Apollo Horticulture, know of it?

But about the cfls, I THINK that they are 65w each.. I'm at work right now so I'll check when I get home, Andd I totally just forgot what else I was gonna ask about them -_-. My bad.. I need to get medicated.. Lol haven't smoked since like 8 this morning.

15. that sounds like a bargain. if you bought that and felt it wasn't dishing out as much light as it should then buying a better quality bulb should fix that. however, the difference in bulb quality is pretty dam minimal. as far as ballast quality when it's dimmable and digital I don't know how you would tell any difference. the reflector quality can vary a lot but non of this would make anywhere near the difference that bumping up to a 400w would make

16. Lol hell yeah I think I'll order it, I can go to my local hydro shop and get the 150w kit for the same price I can get the 400w kit for on amazon... So I think I will do that and use my cfls for side lighting, but now my issue will be heat, I'm in a closet so idk how I can vent that very well.. Maybe into my attic?

17. When it comes down to 150hps vs CFLs, I would say CFLs. Ive rand my 150 a few times and You can get the same amount, if not more light with CFLs and less heat.

18. Thanks Mr.President, that is my main concern.. Heat from the HID and limited ventilation scenarios.. Lol I don't wanna vent through my walls into my little sisters room or into the hallway.. And I can't vent through my door into my room.. My ceiling into my attic and maybe through the floor to outside are my only options :/.

How many cfls (65w) would you say are equivalent to a 150w hps?

19. I run a 600 watt Apollo set up from Amazon. It was cheap, and is actually quality. I really like the hood, and ballast. Dimmable, and the hood is very high quality. Just doesn't have a "brand" name on the side. Go for a 400 watt. Just save up a bit more. You will be pleased in the long run. Next thing you know you will want a 1000 watt. Lol. :)

20. Awesome man that's what I needed to hear, I can afford the 400w Apollo setup right now, I'm just worried about ventilation.. Any ideas?