CFL's at Home Depot

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cyproz, Oct 20, 2008.

1. so im about to head out and looks for some CFLs to use for my seeds which i just planted after germinating. is home depot gonna have 6500k and 2700k on the boxes or what should i look for? "natural light bulb" or something. i just dont wanna buy the wrong bulbs. for the veg stage should i use a mix of 6500k and 2700k or should only use 6500k?

2. The 6500K will be "Day light" (usually a blue box in my HD) and the 2700K I believe will be "soft white" and in green packaging.

3. ok thanks thats what i needed.

4. What if the box doesn't say what spectrum?

How important is the spectrum?

5. It is important, but not critical. You can grow with the wrong spectrum and everything will still turn out just fine. The reason you use the different spectrum is to optimize the grow.

It should be shown on the box. If it isn't, just look for 'day light' or 'soft white'.

Good luck.

6. any one know where to get a connector for the light to socket?

7. Walmart and Home Depot have them, just look in the lighting aisle.

8. Two points of clarification:

The color temperature on CFL packaging is NOT the spectral output of the lights.

The spectrum of the light IS critical for healthy plants. Chlorophyll production occurs in a fairly narrow part of the visible light spectrum
    Chlorophyll a
    410 - 430 nm = blue
    662 nm = red

Chlorophyll b
    453 nm = blue
    642 nm = red

[​IMG]

9. look for the contractor's packs of CFL's you can save alota money on lights that way.........30$ for 10

and always save your recipts for the lights so you can return them if they break or you drop them...