cfl wanting to move hps.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kaptinkronic, Apr 15, 2012.

1. So I've been growing with cfls. And came across a great deal for 150 wat hps light and fixture.. is this strong enough for two autos?? Does one bulb veg and flower .. don't kno specs of my box here's a pic. Thanks gc

Attached Files:

2. 150wt is the bare minimum, the "rule of thumb" is 100wt for the 1rst and 50wt for each plant after, but again the minimum. Most vedg under Metal Halide (6500k) and flower under High Pressure Sodium (2700k) but sum people have just used HPS for both, I have never tried it.

3. [quote name='"Bigdad"']150wt is the bare minimum, the "rule of thumb" is 100wt for the 1rst and 50wt for each plant after, but again the minimum. Most vedg under Metal Halide (6500k) and flower under High Pressure Sodium (2700k) but sum people have just used HPS for both, I have never tried it.[/quote]

Well I heard people veg und cfls and flower under hps that's y I asked

4. Oh, I misunderstood, yes some do use CFL, but most agree that you get better results with HID. I still use CFL's for vedging, but not for much longer. You will like the HPS for flowering, big diference over cfl's.

5. [quote name='"Bigdad"']Oh, I misunderstood, yes some do use CFL, but most agree that you get better results with HID. I still use CFL's for vedging, but not for much longer. You will like the HPS for flowering, big diference over cfl's.[/quote]

Ok thanks for the help

6. Well, not really. The rule of thumb about lighting is different for HID than for CFL/fluoro, because HID is about twice as efficient at delivering light so doesn't require as many watts. With HID you want 50-100 watts per plant, assuming your plants adhere to another rule of thumb of 1 plant per sq ft. It's really best to think of lighting in terms of sq feet of coverage rather than numbers of plants, because you can grow lots of little plants or fewer big plants in the same space.

Back to rule of thumb...when CFLs because popular for growing many adopted the same rule as for HID, but that is woefully inadequate (again because HIDs are twice as efficient, so they deliver double the amount of light per watt) and often gets mixed with the whole "replacement" vs. actual watts thing. For CFLs the rule is bare minimum of 100w actual per plant. Depending on bulb placement you can count a bulb twice if it is doing double duty, keeping mind that the light intensity of CFLs is low and tapers off within a few inches. That's where the "50w for each additional plant" comes from, but it is grossly over-simplifying to the point of misleading.

7. Toasty, I was talkin' about HID lights. I guess if your talkin' about vedg, maybe 50wts per plant is ok???? I run 4 plants with 400wts and wonder if I could have made 600wts work? Sorry if I stepped on someones "thumb"