Cfl vs led for mico grow!???

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by ProtaJ, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Any input is welcome!

2. Led's will give you a better spectrum of light.

3. What about lumens? Isn't that what it comes down to?

4. [quote name='"ProtaJ"']

What about lumens? Isn't that what it comes down to?[/quote]

Ehhh not really. Par is what you want. Think of it like the certain spectrum of light is most effective at being converted. Some spectrums aren't effective at all. Like if you had green lights almost none would be absorbed.

5. I think led's are the better choice overall.

6. Lol sorry that came out very stupid. I mean with cfls you can get those spectrums with the correct bulb. So what one would be better.

7. cfls in cool white (vegging, blue tint, 5,000k), and warm (flowering, red tint, 2,500) vs LEDs

I know nothing about LEDs I'm just beginning to look into it. They seem like a better fit for a micro grow.

8. For a serious micro grow with a large budget, LED all the way. LED are more efficient in watt per lumen output, heat output and the correct spectrum of light output.

I've read several things that compare a 180watt LED with very specific growing spectrum bulbs that is as efficient as a 600watt HPS. Overall the LED puts out fewer lumens than the 600, but puts out more correct colors of light, but look to drop $500+ on one of those 180watt led tho.

9. Thank you man that helps! My only question is how do how do these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reflector-D...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. Maybe someone else can chime in since I have no actual experience in using them, just got knowledge from research.

11. Thank you regardless man really!

12. They are essentially flat. They heat up, but not so much. And they need cooling fans.

All together far less heat tha CFLs, plus these are not flat, need high voltage wiring. Boxes as well or leaves touching the CFL spiral will burn.

Spent about $110 for 3 LEDs incl. coolers. 90W. Received them today, high quality LEDs intend for growing plants.

Attached Files:

13. 240w Blackstar looked really good but idk if its worth the cost

14. I have no experience with LEDs personally. But from what ie gathered through research don't bother unless you willing to drop $500 or more for something closer to 200w.

I've seen many many grow comparison to led and hps. Every one I've seen the hps kicked the LEDs ass because of intensity.. But I have also combed through a thread from a guy in Spain I believe, had I believe 3 600w led panels growing SOG. His main top buds looked like 2 liter bottles. And would be pop corn buds looked like grape fruits it was absolutely amazing but I couldn't really read much for it was not in English. I think he used T5's for vegging.

15. search through the LED journals and the CFL journals and you will see a vast difference in health of the plants. infact a large portion of LED grows turn in to CFL or HPS after a while

if you want to use LEDs you have to spend a shit load of money. money that is far better spent on an HPS and decent exhaust fan. CFLs work and cost hardly anything to set up so certainly have their place, LEDs, not so much

16. I will no doubt go led if im still in the game 5 or so more years. When the led lights drop in price. Right now there the hot new thing on the market and anything worth buying is way to over priced.

If your handy and have an understanding of Led's and par levels and what not and angles and lenses you could build your own set up for a third of the price... But I've seen a lot of DIY panels started and then they jump ship for cfl's.

I just think that they arnt worth while till you get past the 250w rating.

17. Thanks guys yea I've read a lot but there are two major sides to this. I wanted to try it out on a small two plant grow. Then see if its something I want to add in the big room

18. Be sure not to waste time with white LEDs.

Red 630nm and 660nm are both useful.

Best are multiband lamps and LEDs specially sold for growing plants.

You can DIY, or buy a ready-made lamp. These are often large, have a metal enclosure, intend to hang it on chains.

CFLs are bad when you don't have a large cooling fan and/or large space. When they are too hot, they live max. 1/2 year. Fire risk as well.

19. Thanks man yea I've been looking at a multiband one
    240w Blackstar

20. if you can't handle cfls temperatures I don't think growing is for you, if you can't sort that out you wouldn't stand a chance overcoming real problems

my cfls are 125watts each and you can grab hold of the bulb, they couldn't start a fire

• Like Like x 1