cfl vs HPS and MH

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by coolcalin812, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Just a quick question.

If I'm growing 2 pots. and require 200w of lighting.

which would be cheaper.

getting cfl or HPS & MH.

2. cfl will be cheaper from the store but hps and mh will be cheaper in the long run ,,,and another advantage would be the yield.

3. 200 watts of lighting from a CFL is way different then 200 watts from MH or HPS.
    MH and HPS are two of the most efficient light sources. CFL is cheap but does not produce as many lumens per watt as a HPS/MH....

4. plasma lighting is going to be the new thing,,..its going to defeat led before led even gets a chance to "shine"..

5. I just hope the costs get reduced enough for the everyday joe to afford it. Of course that is not to say I would no buy it in a heartbeat if I had a load of cash.

6. I use CFL for veg and HPS for flowering, I know MH would be better for veg but my ballast is HPS only. I find HPS causes to much stretching for veg, using CFL's stop the stretch and cost less to run. :smoke:

7. I will prolly use your method. Thanks

btw, HPS bulb won't fit in desktop lamp? Do i have to get a special lamp for it?

also how many watt per cfl bulb for yours

8. I love using my CFLs and T5s for vegging and two 150watt HPS for flowering. I plan to upgrade to a 600watt HPS with a 250 Watt MH and use the 150watt HPS lights for side lighting

9. do i need a speical lamp for the HPS bulb? Or i can use it on ny desktop lamp and just remove the original cfl.

Another question is, if i'm using a 100w bulb, and electricity cost 11 cent per w. how much am i paying an hour>?

10. You will need a ballast and good cooling if you run a HPS, they don't just plug in. You can do it all with CFL's, just get some for veg and some for flowering (they are different). You wont get the same yeild as you do with a HPS though.

You should do lots of reading and planning before you start :smoke:

11. [quote name='"coolcalin812"']

do i need a speical lamp for the HPS bulb? Or i can use it on ny desktop lamp and just remove the original cfl.

Another question is, if i'm using a 100w bulb, and electricity cost 11 cent per w. how much am i paying an hour>?[/quote]

There are self ballasted HPS. The 150watt HPS run about $100 after shipping