CFL Types

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BZDR, Jul 16, 2009.

1. This is my first time growing and I think I am going to use CFLs since they are cheaper to buy and to run. IF this goes well I will eventually upgrade to HPS. I also don't want to burn them up (since it's my first time).

does anyone strongly recommend against CFLs?

I am only growing two autoflower plants.

Also, can someone please advise me what CFL bulbs to get? And maybe where they get them?

2. i personally use 43 watt day light bulbs i picked up at Kmart for about 9 bucks a piece, i have 1 right now on a single plant and its doing fine, but im going to upgrade to a total off four bulbs, for a total of 172 watts, ive seen some really nice grows with just 4 26watt daylight CFLs if your just going with two auto flowering plants then get something that will equal over 100 watts, ive read on here something like 100 for one plant, 50 for each additional plant, so my best advice would use 4 43 watt bulbs like i would (if your on a budget), one on the top of each plant and one on the side of each where it would provide the best light or 1-2 200 watt daylight cfl's those require a mogul socket and are about 80 bucks a bulb from what ive seen

pros and cons are really posted all over this site, youll get bigger buds with a HID setup, but at the cost of hotter air, more money to set up, and a higher electric bill while CFL's will yield smaller buds, but are cooler removing the need for ventilation, and you can place them alot closer to the plants

3. i use a 300 watt cfl which r about £15 pound here in uk then i just use few at around 30watts for any areas that get shadowed the 300watts cfls r quite big but have a very low heat output which is great

4. what about spectrums, don't i need to pay attention to those? Or does it not matter with autoflowering?

5. 6700k range for veg and 2700k for flower

6. what he said, but in reality when its cfl, "daylight" and "warm" bulbs, since alot of them dont have temp ranges on the package, i know daylights are usually bright white-bluish, while warm are orange/yellowish in color as for on autoflowering plants i seriously dont even know ive never used them

7. 300 watt or 30 watt? cuz ive never seen a 300 watt bulb, that would make my life alot easier to just have one of those suckers over the top of my plant

8. I actually have the 65 watt cfls that are the incandescent equivalent of 300 watt bulbs.
    They are monsters, really huge like 10 or 12 inches long. Here is a link to one similar to it but you should look for daylight bulbs this one is soft white.

Feit Electric at Lowe's: 65-Watt Twist Compact Fluorescent

Might just be me but I like the 43 watt bulbs better.
    :)

9. This link has some of the larger cfl bulbs you might want to compare.

105 Watt Compact Fluorescent

10. yeha i def like the price on the 105 and the 43's cuz it doesnt seem like the price your paying for a 65 watt is really worth it, im just buying mine at the local hardware store and just a single one is doing some good for my setup

11. i have a 300watt (true watts, not equv) cfl & some 30watters, the 300watt clf's are quite large but give great light if u never seen/heard or 300watt cfl check out ebay uk the have loads, and yea they do make life easeyer

12. Out my way (Northern CA) I've been to every HD, Lowes, Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply, Walmart, Target, etc and have yet to find a 42w or higher 6400k CFL. Plenty of 2700k though. I ended up buying through Amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-ESL40TN-Fluorescent-High-Wattage/dp/B001AZOV9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1254119259&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Feit Electric ESL40TN/D 42-Watt Compact Fluorescent High-Wattage Bulb, Daylight: Home Improvement[/ame]

13. Note that the 9166B bulb does not have it's own ballast so you'll need to get a fixture (about $40 at HD with bulb included) or rig up another ballast system.

I bought one of these but despite the claim of 8000 lumens the bulb did not seem very bright. The Feit 42watters I'm using now seem noticeably brighter. But maybe that was just my perception, I'd be interested in how it worked for others.

14. allo people, just noticing that there are hardly any posts sayin where to purchase CFL's in the UK?! just I'm tryin ta find some at the moment and its provin a bit difficult, I'd rather pop into a shop than use ebay! any help appreciated.

sweet.