CFL Stealth Cabinet Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tragidy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Used 1/2 inch thick weather stripping its like a sticky tape on one side and not sticky on other. I am using a regular cabinet / drawer lock with a 90 degree bend in it to accommodate the thickness of the plywood but it still was so tight to close I had to manually file down the wood for a while to ensure it had a nice tight seal. Turned out great though.

2. I hook up my fans with multi voltage adapters. I believe the fans are designed to run on 12volts but if its running too hard you can click it down to 9 or 6volts. probably not worth going below 6 though. old phone chargers can work ok. most being about 5.7volts. or carry on using the 12 volts but hook up two fans sharing the power

3. They do share power and its still loud as balls I dunno gonna mess around with it tomorrow

4. lol at "loud as balls"

what are you currently running them off?

5. One 12v adapter. Found a post explaining ways to wire them. I think with my current wiring they are both receiving the full 12v instead of splitting it. Which is why their so loud ill experiment today

6. Ok got it. Wired them differently and now each one only had 6 volts instead of 12 each. They are way quieter now. Making my light traps will update in a hour or two with pics. Ps nutes and soil came in! Come on seeds!!

7. #27 Tragidy, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    IT'S DONE! Ha, finally done with the box and am comfortable to say its 100% stealth. :cool:

Final specifics are 40 1/2 In. Wide, 16 In. Deep and 39 In. Tall. I know its not enormous but my goal is 2-2 1/2 ounces on two auto flowers in 60-70 days. Tall goal for my first grow I know, but I feel confident in my abilities and can't wait to give it a try. It has been a goal for many years to be able to grow my very own medicine. My New Years resoultion?...Grow the most delicious smooth smoke I've ever had in 11 years of smoking.

The inside is all painted in two coats of flat white, caulked all seals, custom carbon filter, two 120mm fans powered on one 12v adapter. One exhausts and pulls through the carbon filter to exit out of the rear of the cabinet. The other is mounted on the wall about halfway up to cool the lights and keep a small breeze on the plants to strengthen their main stem.

I have two 3 gallon pots I will be using, I originally thought of using the three 1.25 gallon pots I had but I figured I would get better yield off of the two 3 gallons.

I have Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and their trio of nutrients combo pack that I will be using near week 3-4 most likely.

Lighting consists of four 5000 lumen bulbs and two 2300 lumen bulbs. That order will reverse exactly opposite when I go into flower.

All the light traps work amazing as well! I have a 5x6 inch passive intake cut into the bottom of the box that feeds into the light trap that blocks all the light. The other light box covers the 4x6 hole in the wall for the light socket and timer to fit into. Used reflective duct tape to cover all the traps and mount them to the wall and floor for easy removal and moving if necessary.

Any last recommendations before I start out? I believe I am set, got my germ technique ready, got my nutrient schedule, got stealth, got delicious OG Kush...Definitely ready to start this thing! :smoking:

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      234.8 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      254.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      152 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      230.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      143 KB
      Views:
  8. #28 Dingus, Jan 5, 2013
    If you're planning on growing that size of plants I think you will need more light than that. Like maybe double.. a good rule of thumb for lighting is 100w per plant. More is always better as long as your temperatures are good. What are your temperatures by the way? Do you have air movement inside the cab?

Also in reference to plant size, I think 1gal to 1ft of height is close? so 3gal to 3ft. It could be more or less depending on strain and stretch in flowering. How much height do you have with pots in there? Are you going to use any growing techniques like scrog or lst?

You should check out the micro growers forum section and the plant training section.http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/
    http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/

9. thats a common misconception, watts per plant makes no sense because the plant can be 2mm or 2metres, or anywhere in between. it makes more sense to make up a rule for watts per square foot. I have grown great bud with just 40w per square foot. there is a lot more to growing than light. although ideally more would be better

I just started a new mini box that is less than 1'x1' and I have 100watts in there and 20 plants. it sounds crazy but there is logic behind it

10. hey man ilike your setup it looks like youll be getting yourself some good buds, I have a cfl setup similar to yours my plants areflowering right now you should check it out

11. Well I'm pretty close I have about 140w in there. I've read about 100 per plant and 50 more per plant so I think I'm good. Yes I've read post after post on methods etc on micro grows and yea I do have movement like I said a single 120mm fan passing air over the lights and blowing slightly on plants. Temps are around 76-79 today during midday but it was pretty cold today, might add another fan in spring to drop them lower.

12. I know but look at how his light fixture is. That is going to be nowhere near enough light for 3gal plants. plants grow not only up but to the sides, and if he doesn't do any form of LST he won't be able to achieve a good yield. Those lights I doubt will be within the desirable 1-3 inches of foliage that you require for good growth.
    those are good temperatures you can for sure add more light, but more importantly more spaced out light to illuminate more area of your cab.

An improvement could be the smallest thing as instead of having them all on one power adapter stick to have them instead as four cfls per stick instead of 6.

13. Yea I could always add more light like I've posted before the plug that the fans are on can handle another plug and I was thinking of mounting two more lights lower on the wall to put some light on the under side of branches.

14. I wasn't referring to his set up, I was only talking about your rule of "amount of watts per plant"

15. Eh yea Dingus was actually the one who said that what you have quoted but I sorta follow the rule too. Not a die hard rule but I am trying to ensure I have the right spectrum of light and coverage for my area. I think two more lights might be needed time will tell.

16. anyone who follows that rule must assume all plants are exactly the same size and shape otherwise it makes no sense

17. I feel like one or both of us is in a pissing match lol. Meant no offense just what I've read on a lot of posts and cfl guides that say its a general rule of thumb to follow when doing autos. They also say that mine being about 3sqft that I should have 200-300 watts of bulbs which I know I'm under and took everyone's advice in consideration. By tomorrow I should have some extra supplemental lighting installed as well as a third fan I think that I might install.

Ill also be looking at slightly modifying the mounting of the existing fan and planning on a custom lighting fixture possibly maybe out of PVC pipe and multiple sockets in a wider array and ability to hold 10 lights at once.

Big things will happen this is only the beginning! No hard feelings Jetski. Everyone keep on smokin!

18. #38 Dingus, Jan 5, 2013
    I didnt mean to come off as rude or pushy or whatever i just didnt want ya to make the same kinds of mistakes i did. The fixture and plant training are the most important things for a cfl grower imo. I ran 2gals and did lst to control height on 3/4 plants.

The 4th grew upwards uncontrollably after it was too late to lst her and yielded hardly anything.

I used the power adapter Y splitter cfl light fixture easy idea and it just uses up too much space for how much of the light bulb area is actually on the plants, After the height of the pot. it was easy for me to see that best results would come from the most surface area of each light being close to as much foliage surface area. So a horizontal light plane would be the best option.

If you're gonna do autos first i dont have any advice about them, except dont stress em.

19. if you want to get more direct light on your plants you could do what I did, buy 2 power strips like what you have and tape them back to back and buy 10 outlet to socket adaptorshttp://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/patswed420/adaptor_zpsec7cc95a.jpg and you can fit 5 23or26 watt bulbs on each side and they will be hanging completely parallel to the plants, I use pieces of sheet metal that I cut out for reflectors and to hang it i taped a piece of wood to the top of the power strips when the lights are parallel to the ground and stapled either end of a chain with a staple gun to either end of the piece of wood and then hung it

20. Appreciate the help brother I think I will be going with lst I don't wanna do a scrog screen build. I wanna do a horizontal PVC pipe and light fixture set up I think. In my head it looks fabulous. Time to convey the image lol. This will suffice for now seeds aren't even in yet and gives me time to decide on a gameplan