CFL Rubbermaid Stealth (First grow!)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by IMcINasty, Sep 23, 2010.

1. #1 IMcINasty, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
    :wave: Hey everyone!

This is my first grow and I decided to grow indoors using a stealth method. I plan on updating with every step, so be patient. I'm currently preparing the supplies and germinating my seeds but I made a layout of the exact setup using Google SketchUp.

Supplies
    1. Bagseed
    2. Rubbermaid 30 Gallon tub
    3. 2 PC fans for exhaust
    4. 4 CFLs
    5. Power strip
    6. Carbon Filter for exhaust fans

A couple questions before I finish building this thing. Should I add some sort of way to move the lights? Should I add some sort of grate just in case I want to scrog? Any other info would be a great help, fellas.

(I tried incorporating a surge protector, and a couple other items but dumb SketchUp erased my save file and I didn't feel like doing it all over again. :mad:)

Update Quick List

9/23/2010 Update

9/27/2010 Update

Attached Files:

2. I voted "give up", but I was only kidding... looks good so far.

-Loki

3. Put your exhaust fans higher up. It will do a better job of pushing out the warm air.

4. Haha :D Thanks for the criticism.

Where exactly should I have them? Directly under the lights? What about the holes for the passive air?

5. if you look theres an area between the ligghts that makes a t, you could put a fan at each end of the t between the lights

6. Very true. I could also put the holes for the passive intake lower so it circulates completely.

7. #7 IMcINasty, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    UPDATE:

I prepared the tote today. I primed the cover and the inside of the tub with gray primer, 3 coats, and I then taped tin foil in the inside for maximum reflection. I cut a hole at the top for a single fan (A huge 120mm) and wired it to my old laptop power supply. I noticed that when the fan was running that it was quiet, but I could hear the wrinkling of the foil inside which is counter productive but at least I knew the fan works! We have pressure, people!

I then ripped out the damn foil. :mad: Too noisy. I'll be painting it white tomorrow for a better noise level.

Also, I water dropped 5 bagseeds, 4 sank after 12 hours, then I moved them into a ziplock container with paper towels and ALL of them now have taproots. I'm going to keep them in there for a little while longer til I get the room set up.

Attached Files:

8. Put the exhaust fan at the top pulling air out, and put the intake fan at the opposite end on the bottom to suck in fresh cooler air, and will aid in circulation as well.

9. Spray adhesive and mylar work awesome... or just flat white paint.

-Loki

10. I have an extra fan handy but I wanted it handy for and extra exhaust if I needed it. I'm going to run a passive air system because I don't want the risk of the smell escaping out the intake PLUS the negative pressure in the grow box will assure me that no smells will escape anywhere but out my exhaust (Which will have a carbon filter on it soon enough). Other than the fan intake, I'm going to take this advice to heart and port the intake hole tomorrow! :hello:

I'm just going to work with the paint because it's easier. One question though.. If reflection is key in these types of grows why would flat paint be the best option? Wouldn't a high gloss paintwork the best? I should probably figure this out before I start layering some paint down, huh? :D

11. I think the logic behind flat verses glossy is that on a quantum level flat paint has better a diffraction ratio when considering the light as a wave... and it's slightly cheaper...

-Loki

12. This is very similar to what I am planning for my own grow, I'm definitely going to be following this one.

Good luck dude!

13. Definitely stay away from that foil. Paint the inside white or you could also go to Lowes or Home Depot and get aluminum tape. I'm using 2 stacked Rubbermaid containers and lined it with the aluminum tape and it's working great.

14. Perfect! I have flat white already from a different project. Thanks, bud. :smoke:

Thanks man! Let me know when you start it!

That foil was annoying as all hell. :mad: I'll probably do the aluminum tape for my next grow as that sounds like a fantastic idea. So does the double rubbermaid method. Very nice!

15. exhaust fans should be at the top. intake at the bottom. Also you need to make it so you can adjust light height

16. just a heads up, a carbon filter won't really work with a pc fan. or at least i have yet to see anyone make it work.

17. excuse me if i wrong but cant the reflection off tin foil burn ur plants? id definitly go with mylar, or just pure white, and the reason white works is it doesnt abosrb the light it just kinda reflects it cuz its whilte and makes the room brighter ending in more light :D

18. Check the updates for the pictures explaining that I did change the fan location to the top. :p

There's 2 walkthroughs that I found but I'm just going to make my own.

Updated a couple days ago, man! I took the foil out and painted it with 3 layers of flat white.

19. I speak from experience at experimenting with my own rubbermaid grow...

1. have your fans on each side so the air flow is better
    2. you will need to stack at least two of those tubs because of the height of your flowering plant
    3. low stress training (LST) DO THIS
    4. be careful with heat problems

Good luck, brother.

20. oh forsure,but i am kinda curious foil can burn the plant right? but thats good u changed it haha, i hope the best luck to you and your grow, ill be scopin it out. :cool: my baby sprouted this morning :hello: im doin a micro grow from a blue dream seed in my closet.