Cfl reflector help. (im going to home depot/walmart)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LetThatKushBurn, Feb 10, 2013.

1. So i am in the process of building a dresser grow box. My next step is to create a light fixture for my cfls. I have a power strip, cfl-outlet adapters and y splitters.

Im probably going to need chains or something so that i can adjust the height of the lights.

The grow will be a scrog, amd the dresser is almost four feet tall. I will be growing two plants.

My question is this: what should i use for the fixture/reflector? Where can this item be located in home depot/walmart? Amd what story do you guys use when the home depot employees bug you (they always bug me). Last time a worker was becoming suspicious and i dont want a repeat performance.

I have seen a few diy reflectors but i want somethimg semi professional looking that will adapt to my situation.

2. Buy some clip lamps. They come with a polished aluminum dish that Y splitters can fit into, pointing your two cfls along the interior of the dish. The dishes can be unscrewed from the socket they mount to and presumable mounted between the socket of your Y adapter and the cfl outlet adapter. Plus, the work lamp reflectors can as needed be re-joined with the socket and clip they came with and positioned or repositioned as needed.

Instead of chaining I would simply add several interior vertical beams near the interior sides and corners of the dresser which you could mount the clip lights to, making light adjustment something you can do in seconds. If you do this, line the beams with something squishy for the clip to grab onto - the clips aren't that high end and hold in place better when the clips have more to grab onto.

Paint the interior of the dresser flat white or line it with flat white poster board to maximize what you can get from the cfls.

If anyone asks, you need the clip lights because you are cleaning an attic or the light in your garage is shitty, working on your car, whatever.

3. Do you mean something like this?
    Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-CE-300PDQ at The Home Depot

4. #4 Foyle, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013

5. I'm looking at that one now. Would this set up work just as well as if i were to find a smaller t5 fixture and t5 bulbs?

6. Yeah, in fact several T5's will give a better "wash" of light than cfls pointing out of a dish - cfls throw better light off their sides than pointed out of a reflector. I would do both - T5's up top with some cfls for side lighting into your plants' canopies to throw light into the shadows.

7. Hi
    i use cfl's for veg and just use a power bar and 2 y splitters so i have 4 bulbs per bar and 2 in use in Veg room and a 2 ft bar with 4 sockets like they have around a make up mirror . i don't use any reflectors with Cfl's just something to take up room in a small space .
    i do have a reflector on my 400watt sodium also in my flower room 4x3x6 i have a 4ft socket set up like in my veg room but it has 8 bulbs for soft watt Cfl's and no reflector and they work good also .--- Erb

8. I use reflector tape from Ace Hardware