Cfl Lights For Seedlings?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by wilson7264, Sep 12, 2014.

1. So ive just started a grow (day 4) and i plan to move them out bush for a guerrilla grow once they are a bit bigger (I know its not the best way of growing but i don't really have a choice) but anyway ive been putting them out during the day to get the sun and in for night because the weather isn't exactly reliable in new zealand but i dont think they have been getting enough sun because i know a 18 on 6 off is recommended but they have only been getting ten hours sun at max so i thought i could get some cfl light bulbs and have them in my closet until they are a bit bigger is this ok to do because my mate said the plants will adapt to the light and screw up when i put them in the sun again is this true? also any other useful information would be much appreciated, cheers guys

2. You're friend is incorrect.

They are young, they can still be messed around with some.  Throw them in your closet with 24 hour lighting from the CFL's, if you dont want to do 24 hour 18/6 is fine too.  But, pick one and it keep it consistent!!

When you're ready to throw them back out side, do it gradually.  That is the part that will mess them up, putting them outside too fast when they havent had time to adjust to the sun light.  Since it is way way way more intense then any CFL.

3. thanks for the answer i think i will leave them untill they are about half a foot tall then give them about 6 hours sun to begin with and slowly work up to full time. Also when i plant them i want to put some clear plastic over them to keep predators, rain etc out, do i have to use a certain type of plastic or will the sun get to them regardless, cheers

4. Dude i'm from NZ too and I have the same problem with the weather

5. I used a one of those small glad bags to put over my seed until 2 days after sprouting.. Also i would breath into the bad first to fog it up so it would make it more humid - seedlings love that

6. weathers a bitch aye both my plants are dead now (one with a snapped ste no idea how and one killed by my cat haha) but i will be starting again in about a week email me on Jack.wilson72@hotmail.com would love to here how you grow goes!