CFL Lighting Question.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by babylon, Aug 28, 2007.

1. I am about to sort out my new lighting set-up and just wanted to check a few things out.

I am planning on having 4 25w and 2 30w 6400k CFLs for vegging.

My floor measures at 2ft x 1 ft.

I worked this out at 80watts per square foot. Is this right for what I need ?

I'm not sure of the lumen output of the bulbs yet, does anyone know if this varies much on CFLs, or if anyone could tell me the approximate lumen output i should expect from these bulbs . . . (25w & 30w)
    http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Energy-Saving-Spiral-Daylight

For flowering I plan on using 6 30w 2700k CFLs,
    http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Energy-Saving-Spiral-BC

Any ideas, advice, tips would be appreciated.

2. i get about 1500 lumens for each of my 100w equlivant CLF bulbs

-- the bubonic plauge

3. OK, bulbs are all sorted now.

Cheers Bubonic.

My next problem is rigging up the actual lighting system. A friend of mine had his Scrog growing under 5 CFls. I am going to use 6 but in the same way he did.

His run of 5 lamps were all on the same strip, he just bought all the holders, wire, plug seperate and then joined it all up.

I have been searching the forums to find any advice or links to guides that would give advice on wiring up a system like this once all the parts have been gathered.

I know it's not a massive job, it's just a case of wires in, wires out and off to the next holder.
    But obviously I don't want to be making any silly mistakes when it comes to stuff like this.

I'm looking at creating a parallel circuit so any dead bulbs won't affect the rest of the circuit.
    If anyone knows of any guides, similar threads, diagrams or even has some personal experience/knowledge they would like to pass on, I'd be very grateful !

4. Those three-light bathroom light bars are good. They're around $10-12 ea. have three light holders wired and mounted on a metal strip that screws into place easy. I'm using two for my grow box.

They make 4 and up light bars too, but the price is almost exponentially higher. check them out at home depot or some other lighting center.

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 96pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="128"><col style="width: 48pt;" span="2" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 48pt;" height="17" width="64">Lumens</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td><td style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Watts</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" align="right" height="17">1850</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td><td x:num="" align="right">27</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt;" x:num="" align="right" height="17">1600</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td><td x:num="" align="right">23</td><td style="vertical-align: top;">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>these are the specs on my CFL bulbs. The 27W bulbs are Bright White and the 23W are Soft White.