CFL 'hoods' on the cheap

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Trymor, Apr 15, 2011.

1. #1 Trymor, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
    alpha version:
    IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg

$5 - 8" x 24" dryer vent
    $3 - light sockets
    $8 - Y splitters
    ___
    $16

beta version:
    IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg

$5 - Dryer vent
    $9 - light sockets
    $7 - wood 1" x 1"
    $1 - extension cord
    $1 - hangers
    ___
    $23

Peace

2. not bad but how will you raise/lower if its supported by hangers?

nice cheap resolution

3. Havent gotten that far yet. A 'living' work in progress. Subjects move up and down for now, more to come...

4. #4 Trymor, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
    Lights...on a steek
    IMG_0135.jpg

More lights on a, steeeick!
    IMG_0137.jpg

Directional lights on a...

IMG_0139.jpg

5. gonna be super hot,

but other then that looks good.

6. Thanks, I left both sides open so a fan or intake can be fashioned so airflow will move under the hood, across the bulbs.

The 'reflectors' are not attached, but stay in place fine.

The 'directional light on a stick', got a piece of plexiglass like in the alpha version, and it opened the reflector to a good size. The y-adapters can also be angled so the bulbs are closer to the center.

The main purpose of this thread, is to help give ideas, as these are just modified versions of others ideas I have come across in my travels.

7. I like the beta version. Two lengths of chain can be hung and hook the hangers into links. You can raise or lower the lights in increments as small as the link size.

8. #9 Trymor, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
    Nice, simple idea, thx. The 'directional light on a stick' works much better with plexiglass stretching the reflector. I am thinking about a triangular 'box' with 1 of those vertically in each side corner, about 2/3rds of the way up.

Or a reflective box without reflectors - just pull the reflectors off of all but the alpha version...

9. Are you wiring those light sockets in parallel so they run on one cord? Care to explain your system for that?

10. Yes, wired in parallel, all sockets have 2 gold screws for hot, and 2 silver screws for neutral, making wiring a breeze. Snipped the end of the extension cord and attached to one end of the parallel wiring run.