cfl grow with pics!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by smoke4less, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 30 or so days into flowering. organic soil.. using technaflora nute kit
    let me know what you think!:cool:
    (there was a bunch of crap in the background of the pics so i cleaned them up a bit)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looking good! what are you growing in? closet, box, ect

and what/how many CFL's are you using?

3. theyre grown in some extra space.. and about 11 cfls a few 68 watts a few 48 a 55 and some 23-28s

5. is there a way to figure out how many CFL lights are needed for a area? or # of plants?

6. You need to reach a certain amount of watts. The rule of thumb I've heard and used in the past is 100 watts for one plant, and 50 watts for each plant after, but that's sort of a minimum value. More watts can only help (within reason).

You have to be careful though, because you have to go by actual watts consumed, not the "equivalent wattage" listed on a lot of CFL lights. So a light bulb that says "23 watts/100 watts equivalent" wouldn't be enough for a plant. You'd need like 4-5 of them just for one plant. It's usually easier to get a few 42 or 68 watt CFLs, than a ton of little ones, or even a 150 watt supplemented by a few smaller ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I would recommend LED bulbs over CFLs at this point in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. How do the 7w and 10w small LED bulbs compare to CFL's of similar lumen output? A 10w LED bulb I picked up recently gives out 806lm. I'm pretty sure that's similar to a 23w CFL but not sure

10. @a soggy fish small led bulbs put out about 2-3 times as much light as comparable wattage cfls(regardless of what the lumens on the box say). Blynx did amazing work comparing led bulbs vs. cfl bulbs --->> screw-in led bulbs vs. cfl bulbs comparison. He busted the idea/theory that cfls give better coverage then a spotlight style led bulb too.

sorry to piggy back on this old thread. cfls *need* to be phased out though...the only reason to use them is to add more heat or if you happen to already own some and don't care about quantity vs. wattage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thanks a lot for the repy and link, thats perfect advice too because I was worried about the spolight type LED's, il keep my 3 23w warm white CFLs and go for leds instead