CFL grow...Just wondering how I am doing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Poobrick, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Yeah I have been thinking about that...I was going to do 50-150 due to cost limits and number of plants. I can always continue using the CFL's to supplement. Any suggestions on a light?

2. your plants are just about as old as mine and i dont have near as much growth in height as you but i am using 1 and a half gal pots. which would make my plant finish considerably smaller. depending on your space you have to work with id start thinking about flowering soon or you will start to get crowded in there. especially if you dont know males from females yet you wouldnt want them near each other let alone touching right? lol im first grow as well just throwin out angles for more food for thought... my space is 21"x21"x58" two plants 120w of cfl and uvb start to finish.

3. hey kendem, thanks for your input! My plants were not growing all that fast until I hit them with two treatments of fert (once MG all-purpose and once MG tomato). They have taken off since then! Using miracle gro because I bought before finding out it's not the stuff that is recommended, but it is working ok for me. I am paying attention to signs of nute burn because that seems to be a big problem with MG products. Like if you look at the last shots and the ones before that...it was only three days and they did that. I was kinda shocked that fertilizer would cause that kind of change (unless it was just crazy timing). The Tomato fert is like 18-18-21 or something so it's pretty strong stuff. Definately not a daily feed. Good luck on your grow man, if you ever need any help just ask!

4. You can flower now if you want. I don't know what your looking for in total so it's up to you. Since it's bagseed you know 1 or 2 will be male so that will open up the space for you when you yank them.

What you started with for seed was mistreated. Now you're doing it right and giving them some love. That will make the product much better then what you started with. I don't know how much you use. If you treat this like a learning experiment, you'll end up with great weed and have more knowledge so your next grow will only be better and you'll be set for life. My first, I had 3 females out of 5 that I switched when they were a foot tall. I had no idea what I started with. I thought I had good seed, best I could remember. It turned out 50 grams of one hit stuff. Not great for yeild mind you, but I learned. Looking back I did all I could it seems to retard them. They were not as healthy as yours.

If it were me, I would go another week at best and switch. Maybe target the first of March as the date and start phase two of the project. But that's just me.

5. No I think that's a good suggestion. I am going to get an HPS light in the next day or two. I found a 100w light that I think will work out well. Supplement with CFL on the sides as well and maybe above as well...probably going to have around 200w for 2 plants and 150 for one. Do you think I should clone them first to determine sex or just allow them to go into flower and just check alot? Banging my head around about buying seeds. As you stated I have wasted a lot of resources and cash but learned a lot along the way. Just trying to keep the money out the door down until I know this is going to be worth it. Honestly don't smoke a lot and have only for a few years. This is actually my second grow. My first was basically a fail, but did yield a little bud. I don't waste light like I did, use better pots, better light setup, better with watering and nutes. God I have learned a lot since then! Only real good thing I did was learn how to clone, basically by accident. I kept breaking branches and would be like "OMG I must save you!". And it was soooo soooo hard to kill the males. I mean it was like telling your best friend you are moving far away and you'll never see them again. You spend so much time taking care of them you feel kinda rotten to kill them. I hope there is a big ass MJ field in the sky where all the males get to go to live forever(with the smoking ladies they leave behind).

6. Exactly! Very similar to what I was looking at and the same price range. For three dollars I can buy a plug to put on the wires and just run a cord to it. Google shows you which wire goes to where if your not sure. I did the same thing with a four light bathroom valance light and it's working just fine. It gives me good light spread over the canopy and with y splitters I have seven lights on one plug. And with about 120w running through it I am not even close to over powering it. Excellent suggestion, I am surprised nobody else mentions things like this.

7. hey, nice thread!
    i too am growing for my first time for me and my lady.
    your about 2 weeks ahead of me! ill be looking at yours as a reference!

8. #29 SirSchism, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
    Looking good man. On my first grow as well just a little bit ahead of you. 39days total day 8 of 12/12. As far as when you should switch them, just make sure you have enough room to let them grow 2-3times the current size of them. And to rehash the HPS system. DO IT! :p. Keep up the good work man, interested to see how your's turns out :smoke:

Peace

EDIT: Misread your start date. You are farther along than I. Would like to see a current photo if you could man. :)

9. Ok so it's been forever since I have updated this, but now I am having a bit of an issue with one plant and thought I would look for suggestions. Both are bagseed plants, and different bags at that. The one looks pretty nice considering it's a CFL grow (just trying to figure out an easy way to hang the 100w HPS light I got as it's like 10lbs). The other plant is doing well, only thing is I see these little funny brown spots on the leaves like those black flies leave, only after looking two different times for 5-10 minutes a time no bugs to be found. So maybe someone can help me figure this one out? Sorry, don't know my PH but if you really think that is the issue, I will water until some comes out the bottom of my airpots and check. My setup has some weaknesses yet as this is my first serious attempt at growing, so I hope you understand.

All of these pictures are from the same plant, starting with the top bud and working downward. The problem seems to be concentrated in the upper leaf area starting about an inch down from the top bud to about maybe the middle or a little above that. Thank you much for any suggestions!

Attached Files: