Cfl grow, Are these bulbs enough?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by smither123, Jan 19, 2014.

1. #1 smither123, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    Hi GrassCity, 
    I'm constructing an acrylic grow box which will be 30cm x 30cm x 60cm. 
    I plan to grow one short plant at a time and hopefully get enough herb to last me without haven't to pick up. 

I'm aiming for around 150w for the whole grow box. I figured it would be better to have low watt bulbs but more of them for better light coverage. 

I've decide i will go with these Grow lights. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-30w-6400k-Day-light-Energy-Saving-CFL-bulb-BC-B22-/190510811883?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item2c5b544aeb

All together they will produce 150w, 10,000 lumens which is enough for one plant i hope. 

If anyone can see a fault in my plan please comment, Feedback would also be lovely!

Thanks,
    Smithers 

p.s - i forgot to add that i will be growing autoflower as the light specture should be fine for thoughs.

2. The light will be plenty, the size of the box is not very good.

60 x 90 x 90 would be a much better size and thats still small.

3. #3 smither123, Jan 19, 2014
    [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19365595" timestamp="1390090432"]The light will be plenty, the size of the box is not very good.60 x 90 x 90 would be a much better size and thats still small.[/quote]I can try making it bigger but there's a limited amount of acrylic plates I can use. I'll try to do my best. Its a build your own acrylic grow box so if I have any free time on my hands I'll design an addon for it. Hopefully I will be able to grow joint doctors or lowryders strains but I've heard a few bad reviews about thoughs strains. Surely there will be a strain which will be small enough. Anyway I hope..Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

4. I could make it wider in length but not so sure about height has it has to fit inside a cupboard Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

5. #5 xilw3r, Jan 19, 2014
    chill man, that room is plenty for a single trained plant (not auto) if you go with autos it better be a big one to fill the room. or you could grow 2-3 small ones at a time. Training (lst or scrog) will be mandatory though.

the lights i would reconsider. the cfl's you suggested are 6400k, which is pretty darn cool, plants will veg awesome, but your buds wont be very impressive. In your case i would probably go with full warm whites (~3k).

As always, I will advise to consider led's, since your grow room is quite small (if funds are not a problem, as leds tend to be expensive at first).

Shiet, i feel like a tv sales man always pedaling leds to people :D but i just cant let it go.. they are so useful in certain situations, especially micro grows.

6. [quote name="xilw3r" post="19368528" timestamp="1390144563"]chill man, that room is plenty for a single trained plant (not auto) if you go with autos it better be a big one to fill the room. or you could grow 2-3 small ones at a time. Training (lst or scrog) will be mandatory though.the lights i would reconsider. the cfl's you suggested are 6400k, which is pretty darn cool, plants will veg awesome, but your buds wont be very impressive. In your case i would probably go with full warm whites (~3k).As always, I will advise to consider led's, since your grow room is quite small (if funds are not a problem, as leds tend to be expensive at first).Shiet, i feel like a tv sales man always pedaling leds to people :D but i just cant let it go.. they are so useful in certain situations, especially micro grows.[/quote]Thanks man I forgot 6400k for veg and 2700k for flowering . Led is too expensive unfortunately otherwise I would consider it too :/ I'm probs going to be growing auto flower as it would just be easier to get one color temperate of lights as I can buy them in bulks. I'm having trouble finding e27 bulb holders which connect to UK mains plug. The ones you can plug in to your mains socket and screw in the bulbs. If you can point be in the right direction that would be awesome. Thanks, luckily I didn't buy thoughs bulbs already! Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

7. i had the same problem with my grow which bulbs ect then the fittings lol dont get me started its easier to buy 1 125w cfl for 20quid its a e40 socket btw big screw in works great with 1 auto flower luckily i had a reflector already which had the iec end so i just re-wired up with a plug and shbam! pukkaz it is ur best bet if u did use one large cfl is either buy the reflector for cfls... or make your own just buy one of these ..

http://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/propagation-en/propagation-lighting-en-2-3/cfl-lamp-hanger-with-moulded-plug.html?gclid=CM-i_r_Zl7wCFUgJwwod4TAASA#.UuGCu_vLdH0

then use a old beer can to make a reflector using jublee clip hope this helps jc

8. [quote name="jayc2012" post="19399619" timestamp="1390597182"]i had the same problem with my grow which bulbs ect then the fittings lol dont get me started its easier to buy 1 125w cfl for 20quid its a e40 socket btw big screw in works great with 1 auto flower luckily i had a reflector already which had the iec end so i just re-wired up with a plug and shbam! pukkaz it is ur best bet if u did use one large cfl is either buy the reflector for cfls... or make your own just buy one of these ..http://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/propagation-en/propagation-lighting-en-2-3/cfl-lamp-hanger-with-moulded-plug.html?gclid=CM-i_r_Zl7wCFUgJwwod4TAASA#.UuGCu_vLdH0then use a old beer can to make a reflector using jublee clip hope this helps jc[/quote]Thanks that's awesome. I think I'll just stick with one dual 125w light. I only want one or 2 plants at Max. Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

9. ill get some pictures of my auto and my feminized plant under my light to show u its works well happy smoking btw lol

10. [quote name="jayc2012" post="19409210" timestamp="1390745552"]ill get some pictures of my auto and my feminized plant under my light to show u its works well happy smoking btw lol[/quote]That would be awesome :) Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

11. I got a better idea add a mini screen in it and do a mini scrog .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. #12 smither123, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    [quote name="austyn12" post="19409370" timestamp="1390749321"]I got a better idea add a mini screen in it and do a mini scrog . Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]That's what I was thinking but I was planning to do auto flower so I'm not sure if there is much point. I can make it 40 x 40 x 60 if that would help ? Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

13. View attachment 133047

these are my two ladiees both female (left fastbud#1 autoflower)   (right power africa feminized) both around 40 days from seed under 1x 125w cfl red 2700k :) 

ill get a pic of setup just moving things around will have my 250w hps setup soon with my tent and filter cant wait :))

14. [quote name="jayc2012" post="19409845" timestamp="1390755449"]these are my two ladiees both female (left fastbud#1 autoflower) (right power africa feminized) both around 40 days from seed under 1x 125w cfl red 2700k :) ill get a pic of setup just moving things around will have my 250w hps setup soon with my tent and filter cant wait :))[/quote]Nice, should I get a dual light or will a red be better? They're looking really healthy ! Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

15. ur doing autoflowers i guess if so go for either a red or dual for sure mate the blue is for veg only and autos have 2-3 week veg period max but as u can see mann mine are doing just fine under a pure 125w red 2700k bulb so the call is yours boss if i was u i would go with the dual least u got both spectrums in 1 bulb then u could allways add one or the other if u feel the need for it

16. #16 smither123, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    [quote name="jayc2012" post="19410723" timestamp="1390764212"]ur doing autoflowers i guess if so go for either a red or dual for sure mate the blue is for veg only and autos have 2-3 week veg period max but as u can see mann mine are doing just fine under a pure 125w red 2700k bulb so the call is yours boss if i was u i would go with the dual least u got both spectrums in 1 bulb then u could allways add one or the other if u feel the need for it[/quote]Think ill go with dual because then I can grow some bag seeds (I have 3 seeds) if I wanted too. How is the smell? Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

17. the smell is fukiin bangin my friend skunky/diesely lol just smells so nice iv got another seed call cotton candy by delicious seeds was a freebee but am waiting on my power africa to finish up first idd deffo reccomend a carbon filter once ur couple weeks into flower poss 4-5 weeks as they will chong the place out ok if u aint got nosy neighbours but i do so hence the need for one it doesnt smell strong untill i leave my flat then come back its like a amstersam coffee shop tbh . one strain i can reccomend though is the fastbud im growing look up sweetseeds on any seedbank there mostly autos and have some sweet n tasty strains cheap aswell

18. [quote name="jayc2012" post="19410952" timestamp="1390766350"]the smell is fukiin bangin my friend skunky/diesely lol just smells so nice iv got another seed call cotton candy by delicious seeds was a freebee but am waiting on my power africa to finish up first idd deffo reccomend a carbon filter once ur couple weeks into flower poss 4-5 weeks as they will chong the place out ok if u aint got nosy neighbours but i do so hence the need for one it doesnt smell strong untill i leave my flat then come back its like a amstersam coffee shop tbh . one strain i can reccomend though is the fastbud im growing look up sweetseeds on any seedbank there mostly autos and have some sweet n tasty strains cheap aswell[/quote]Nice I was thinking about growing cotton candy, I'll look into fastbud. Looks nice. I might try to make a carbon filter and hope that works . Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

19. supposed to be a big yeilder (cotton candy) what strains have u grown before and if so what was your yeild like.? take it u have grown before man.? sound

20. [quote name="jayc2012" post="19411256" timestamp="1390769611"]supposed to be a big yeilder (cotton candy) what strains have u grown before and if so what was your yeild like.? take it u have grown before man.? sound[/quote]I've grown bag seeds outside last summer. Both female and one was about an ounce and the other one was around 3/4 ounces :) Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk