CFL for Veg and Flower?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by soundscience4.0, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Hey guys I was wondering if its possible to veg and flower using CFL's. I have a grow set up with a 400 watt MH bulb and 6 in vortex fan inside a 4'9"X4'9"X6'9" grow lab tent, but I am the desert and its hard to keep my room cool in the summer. I have 4- 40watt (200 watt equal 5000K 2700 lumens CFL'S) and I was thinking of getting 2-55 Watt (250 Watt Equal 5000K 3600 lumens CFL's. Would this be a good set up and when you guys say to mix the bulbs so that they are not all the same do you mean the lumens or the color temp Kalvin? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP GRASSCITY

2. mix means kelvin. 6500k and 2700k mix. use both for veg and flower. growth would be slower and u wont get as much bud from it as u would if u used a hps. but u can still do it

3. like ninjacorey said, you want both to get the full spectrum of light for your plants. however, during the veg stage of growth the plant does better under th 6400k (daylight) end of the spectrum and during the flowering stage it does better under the 2700k (soft light or soft white) . you want to mix both at all times but just have a majority of each during the respective stages.

ex- if you run 6 total lamps
    veg= 4 of the 6400k(daylight) and 2 of the 2700k(soft light)
    flower= 2 of the 6400k(daylight) and 4 of the 2700k(soft light)

hope this helps bro. CFLs are the way to go to keep temps down. good luck.