CFL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS NEED URGENT HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by galvatorex6, Jun 23, 2015.

1. hey guys, ive just received a split head outlet , cord and 2x 45w cfl's online
    i wired the wires together with care and insulated them with electrical tape.
    plugged in the 2x 45w cfl's and they worked breifly (20-30seconds) then made this little pop noise a few times and both of them just turned off.
    i have tried wiring the wires the other way, still wont work.
    so i wired them the way i had before and plugged in 1 cfl i had around the house. and it works fine...
    something is going i have suspicions it could be the cfl's but them both dieing at the same time is a big unusual.
    here are links to the cord, outlet and bulbs
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00947QMK2?psc=1&... - BULBS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ97US?psc=1&... - SPLIT OUTLET
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YTQYA?psc=1&...<span class="redactor-invisible-space"> - CORD
    </span>
    <span class="redactor-invisible-space">any help would be greatly appreciated as i just want to start growing my peppers already im excited !!</span>
    <span class="redactor-invisible-space">- Galva</span>

2. White wire from socket goes to the wider blade on the plug.
    Black wire from socket goes to the narrower blade on the plug.

You'll need to hold the plug, and wire flat, and trace it from the plug to the ends of the wires.

Get it wired, and test both sockets with CFLs or bulbs you have in the house. Make sure you try both sockets.
    If the bulb works on both sides, it's your CFLs that are bad.

I used similar CFLs, also bought on Amazon, all 4 died in a very short time. You're better off using standard 23w CFLs you can buy at the local store. 6500K for Veg, 2700K for Flower. I like mixed spectrum for both phases. Mostly 6500K bulbs in Veg with some 2700K bulbs spread out. And in Flower I used mostly 2700K bulbs, with a few 6500K bulbs spread out.

You're also going to want a lot more bulbs than that. Shoot for at least 100 watts total per plant in Veg, or 150 watts per plant in flower. Another suggestion I see is to use 30-50 watts for every square foot of grow space. Which option you use is up to you.

You'll also get better results by training your plants to grow flat, CFLs lack penetration power, and are only effective in the 2"-6" range, after that they lose intensity quickly.

3. hey Antics!,thanks for the response i will rewire them as you have said and get back to you!
    as far as lights go, i was thinking 2x cfl's would be ok for my very small growspace 21inch tall x 11inch deep x 17inch wide
    and thanks for the info on growing the plants flat, i will keep them around 3'' away from my plants!
    -galva

4. According to your dimensions, you have roughly 1.26 square feet of space, which by the second example I gave, you could just use 1 or 2 bulbs. This is on the weaker end of lighting though.

If I were personally using that space, I would try to use at least 3-4 bulbs for the grow. If possible, I'd go with 4 bulbs for Veg, and 6 for Flower. But if that isn't ideal, try to get more than just the 2 bulbs. The more light you have, the better your results will be.

At the same time, CFLs do produce a considerable amount of heat. So whether you decide to stick with your 2 bulbs, or increase the number, you'll more than likely need an exhaust fan in there, not only for air circulation, but to keep the grow area cool as well. Whatever you do, also try to space the bulbs out as evenly as possible within the space. There are extenders you can buy for the light socket that will spread the bulbs out a little more like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1403-Outlet-Socket-A...
    That would push your bulbs outward about 2"-3" for each one used.

5. Yeah, lighting is an issue for me as ive gotto keep it stealthy and there is no local 'home depot' or whatever to buy stuff from where i live. i have to get it shipped from US.

im going for a stealthy grow box ive hollowed out an oldschool wooden speaker.
    lined with reflective material. ive got a homemade reflector for the cfl's, 20cfm 80mm input fan at the base,
    then ive got a monster 70cfm 120mm exhaust connected to a SUGAbear style carbon filter that i made myself its mostly lightproof at this point, the exhaust pushes a decent ammount of air through the filter so i think that shoud keep the heat down (or at a reasonable temperature as its cold as fuck where i am). planning to lst 1-2 auto's hopefully should make for a nice first stealth grow. my only threat is my brother in the room next to me sussing out the noise thats why im keeping this on the dl im not going to be using any nutes either

i just checked the wire, and the wires are all ok, the 15w cfl i tested works on both sides so all is well. must be those fuckin bulbs. ordered 2 more should be here within the week.. thanks for helping on the fault find! :)
    do you think it could have something to do with the adapter ? could too much voltage fuck up the bulbs or something? (doesnt make sense as a 15w cfl is running atm) lol

6. For that size grow space, I'd just do 1 plant at a time in there. Too many plants will get crowded. And if you're LST'ing them, it'll create more horizontal growth, which takes away space from the other plant.

Unless you have a really good soil (which not many exist to grow a plant from seed to harvest without adding additional nutrients), nutrients are pretty much mandatory. Without them you're going to run into a nitrogen deficiency first, followed by a whole slew of other problems. Budget and stealth are one thing, but skimping on necessities could end up costing you time, as well as money.

I would avoid Miracle Grow as well.

They're not the best quality bulbs. I had 4 blow on me in a short time.
    It has nothing to do with the adapter.

Too much voltage can destroy anything, but that isn't your problem. Voltage remains constant in the wires in your wall, the plug at the wall, the plug for this light fixture, and inside the light fixture too. The bulbs also see a constant voltage, which will either be 110-120v AC or 220-240v AC. I don't know of any other voltages used in houses.

If the bulbs are rated for your household voltage, that isn't an issue. 2 bulbs will only increase the wattage and amperage. Most fixtures are rated at about 60 watts each for a standard incandescent bulb. The fixture you're using will likely support 120 watts, meaning that with your 2 CFL bulbs, you were way under the maximum.

7. yeah those bulbs were the problem, just makes me wander why they both died at the same time probably just shitty quality.
    Just waiting on the beans to arrive, as far as nutes go, i will probably get some then in a few weeks into the grow use only 1/4 of the dosage, planning on using a 1.6gal pot (the one in the photo but gonna wrap in tape) its been fun doing research and ordering my shit, then building hopefully i will be able to actually grow a fucking plant! im so excited, the strain im gonna try is WW auto do you think i could pull a few grams with lst?
    - galva

btw here are some pics ive got if u wanna check out ! [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/Hre1O

8. Shitty quality is right where I'd put them. The bulbs I bought were identical except that colored strip of plastic on mine was like a teal color, everything else was identical. I bought a pack of 4, all died within about 3 months. The 23w bulbs I was using are still in use today for my seedlings.

If you see deficiencies, that means the 1/4 dose isn't strong enough for what they want. So keep an eye on them.

If you give her all the light and nutes she wants, you could easily see a 1/4 or 1/2 on your first grow.

9. hell yeah sounds juicy, hopefully ican find some good nutes where i live :)
    and hopefully my beanz arrive lol been 26 business days nothing

10. Hey it sound like you blew up both cfl if they went pop is the live and neutral right on the bulb socket middle pin should be live and the screw thead neutral.

Tho you say the cfls still work?

11. Might wanna send the company an email. Or checking the site usually their shipping FAQ tells you about how long it'll take to receive them.

12. #12 galvatorex6, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    im not sure what way they were wired to begin with, i just guessed, they worked for like 20seconds then popped and both turned off at once. since readjusting the wires,
    white wire to wide
    black to short (thanks antcs)
    and i tested a cfl and it worked, so im guessing i wired it wrong and it blew.
    yeah i messaged amazon in regards to the bulbs, a express shipping reshipment has been made they will be here in under a week! great service for my personal experiance
    as for my beans, im having such a hard time.
    my order from ilgm.com did not arrive after 26 monday-friday so i contacted them and they have reshipped my seeds with a different stealth alternative (i just got the shipping confirmation)
    fuck my life, its gonna take another month or so to actually get my seeds gah! i was thinking to just order 1 seed from another website but no websites take paypal and i spent the last of my bitcoin on the 10seeds from ilgm.
    so i guess ive got a long wait ahead but the seedbank said (15days average delivery to US)
    so i dont know maybe i will be in luck and get my seeds early !!! what a treat that will be !

EDIT: the 2 cfl's from amazon are completely dead ive tried many times, and i just tested a cfl i had lying around the house and it works on both ends of the split adapter so i know the electrical wiring is done correctly now

13. #13 galvatorex6, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    holy shit guys, i just got electricuted with 110v
    im such a dumbass was just fiddling with the bulb adapter, using zip ties to make it balanced.
    and the light was on, i havent touched anything electrical when the power is on in the past, just an absolute dim witted mistake, my finger made its way into the bulb socket and it felt like i was bitten by a piranha on the tip of my finger and my arm felt an unusual sensation
    right now its fine, there is a little bubble on my finger where the current must have entered/left
    my finger is basically numb
    that is an experiance i will never forget, and learn from..
    i got so freaked out i ran around the house shaking my hand like crazy

14. Lol next time use the vault seeds its much quicker shipping youd have it in like 7days ive heard i get it in under 24hrs since im.in the same country :)

Ahh it is strange tho in uk ive been shocked by 240v proper strange sensation

15. iwill , can you post me a link please loki?
    and 240v damn

16. Antics, you seem to know about cfls. I need some help with a setup. It will be a 1ft x 1ft tent and I plan to only clone in it. Will keep clones in it till flowering is done at my other tent and will move them in there after that. It will probably be 4-5 clones mounted on a bucket lid. How many cfls will I need for that, at what wattage and do I need 6500k or 2700k?

17. wheres ya manners xx

18. 6500K for Veg, clones, etc.. All green growth basically
    2700K if you're ever flowering with CFL.

If they're just going to be mounted on a standard 5 gallon bucket lid for rooting only, I'd use 4. But would suggest adding bulbs based on how much time they're going to be in there.
    I also prefer the 23w variety, they seem to last longer for me, and I have read they have the best output to wattage ratio.

19. Thanks. Was planning to keep them in there until the original plant is done flowering and then transfer them under the bigger grow light and start growing them. Not sure if that will work though. Might have to figure out a veg setup. Gotta do more reading...