CFL Closet Grow - Bag Seed

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by tmmay, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Well I made a thread for this grow already, but I boogered it up and accidentally deleted it. So here's a condensed version. I used to help quite a few buddies in college grow, but this is my first completely solo grow. I opted to go with Miracle Gro potting soil with slow release nutes, but decided to try advanced nutes on one of the plants to see just how well, or poorly, the MG soil distributes nutes. I'm also working constantly and only home for brief periods of time, so the MG provides me with a simple water and go setup. I'll probably experiment with other methods next because I love doing my own research haha. So I placed 6 germinated bag seeds in a rectangular planter, and transferred to individual pots when the time came. 5 are seeds from so-called "mid" and 1 is from some VERY good green. A few were stunted by a faulty timer and the resulting low temps, but now all have been placed in the same closet under 15 26W CFL's. During veg I used all 6500K bulbs. Now flowering I am using both 6500K and 2700K bulbs. I'm sure I'll leave things out, so if you have any questions just ask. On with the pics.

2. The beginning setup:

image-3182136004.jpg

And seedlings, started in a seedling mix:

image-3964004923.jpg

image-1147000025.jpg

3. Kept them together longer than I should've, but they all transplanted well. Pics through week 4 or 5.

image-4061865553.jpg

image-3994468007.jpg

image-1159582588.jpg

image-706575770.jpg

image-1179281833.jpg

image-2068977129.jpg

4. The day they began showing sex. Day 39:

image-1104864881.jpg

5. And pics throughout the grow, up to just a few days ago. All plants were switched to 12/12 on day 41 and as of 12/9 I am on day 52. So the last pic is one of the ladies on ~day 48 of flower. These are all in miracle gro potting mix with the slow release nutes. Will take pics this week to compare with the one that is getting flowering nutes every other watering.

image-2916000395.jpg

image-3437429708.jpg

image-4008615623.jpg

image-3087257352.jpg

image-3515449927.jpg

image-549130341.jpg

6. she's looking awesome, nearly at the same stage of growth as my plant. glad you started a new journal.

i'm a little confused by the days...you switched to flower at day 41 of your grow and these pics are 7 days into flower?

7. Yea, they began showing sex on 11/26(day 39) and they were all switched to 12/12 on 11/28(day 41). And these pics are from just a few days ago.

8. [quote name='"tmmay"']

Yea, they began showing sex on 11/26(day 39) and they were all switched to 12/12 on 11/28(day 41). And these pics are from just a few days ago.[/quote]

Looking great this early into flower. I think mine would have shown sex sooner if I did have the huge temp drops when I first moved into the new case

9. Yea well I had some issues with a faulty timer and stuff so several of mine are a bit behind too. My biggest girl there took a bit of damage from my lights falling, but she's almost recovered. I wasn't really expecting all 6 to be female, so I'm kinda running out of closet space lol

10. I also have a gnat problem right now. Little fuckers are everywhere. Currently trying the sand technique, and it works at first but then once you water them the sand mixes in with the soil and they come back. Maybe I need to top it off with sand again after watering? I'm just worried all that sand will mess with the aeration of the soil.

11. I really wouldn't put sand in your grow medium. buy some gnat off, it works perfectly. it utilises a bacteria that kills the gnat larvae, great stuff

12. Yea I think I will. I saw a lot of people say sand worked for them, but it's mixing with the soil way too quickly and I would rather not keep dumping sand in it.

13. yeah sand isn't good for plants, it can change the ppm of the water in the soil and increase the ph level. it can carry a lot of calcium, and cause lock out of other nutrients... not always but some sand can. perlite would of been a far better option but gnat off is what you want. its just a few ml in your nutrient solution and rids them withing 24 hours. yellow sticky cards are great for the adults

14. Yea I will be ordering some type of gnat-b-gone something and some sticky strips tomorrow. How would perlite have helped with a gnat problem?

15. 52 days from seed. 11 days into flower.

image-386385994.jpg

image-1145585185.jpg

16. Looking rite on schedule...what size is ur cab...do u think u could fit more lights?

17. I'm using a small closet. I'd guess maybe 32"x24". Unlimited height though. I've got 12 26W CFL's in it right now. I guess with all 6 plants turning out to be female I should go ahead with some more lights.

18. [quote name='"tmmay"']

I'm using a small closet. I'd guess maybe 32"x24". Unlimited height though. I've got 12 26W CFL's in it right now. I guess with all 6 plants turning out to be female I should go ahead with some more lights.[/quote]

Kool...how do u handle ventilation in that space?

19. Just open the door and use a small portable fan. I live alone so I don't have anyone else to worry about. Though it does kinda blind me if I look in that direction lol

20. The highest the temps have reached is 85 and that was immediately fixed with the fan.