Cfl bulbs! Tell everyone!!!!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by ResearchIt, May 27, 2010.

1. Its come to my attention that CFL bulbs are an easy first step to saving the world. If every residence in America replaced 1 incandescent bulb with a CFL bulb it would be equivalent to taking MILLIONS of cars off the road. Think of how many cars would be off the roads if everyone used them for every light they use continuously.

A CFL bulb costs roughly 4x the price of an incandescent bulb, however, they last 10x longer so in the long run they end up saving you money. And thats not if you include the discount on your power bill.

People often think of cars as being the main contributor to green house gasses when in actuality it is industry and burning of fossil fuels to make electricity. STOP WASTING ELECTRICITY!!!!!!

Now CFL bulbs are not the best in every situation. They are only good for bulbs that will be on for 20 mins or longer. This is because they use more energy while reaching maximum brightness than incandescent bulbs, however once they reach maximum brightness they use MUCH LESS energy. So dont put them in your closets, but put them everywhere you might use a bulb for more than 20 minutes.

AND THE BEST PART!: THEY SAVE YOU TONS OF MONEY ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILL!

California is the in process of passing a bill that will require the use of CFL bulbs. And Cuba has already mandated it.

SPREAD THE WORD!!! THIS IS THE FIRST AND EASIEST STEP TO RIDDING OURSELVES OF THE DEPENDENCE ON FOSSIL FUELS!!!

2. a lot of us are using CFL's....to grow DANK ASS WEED:hello:

3. More power too you! saves you more than sun lamps!

4. Fuck yeah CFLs! Of course they grow good weed as well as save energy in the house.

People bitch about CFLs having a higher mercury content, so they pollute landfills more than old-style incandescent bulbs. Here's a handy chart for the doubters:
    [​IMG]

5. i hate the light they produce it bugs my eyes so i stick to the old school bulbs

6. seems noone knows about the light bulb ban thats happening in 2014 or 2016, i cant remember which, but it will phase out all the old light bulbs in the US and you will only be able to buy cfl's so eventually, everyone will have cfl's in all their lamps and shit.

7. #7 Mr. Owl, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    this seems like some very wise info... thanks OP!

8. what:confused::confused: im going to stock up on old ones :D

9. Its selfishness like this that keeps us dependent on middle eastern oil... and slows us down in finding better energy sources...

EDIT: Its called a lamp shade...

10. Have they already passed that bill? I was under the impression it was still under debate.

11. I guess not many people really care about our energy problem.

12. I care.

I switched all my bulbs in my place a while ago. And it's usually what I give friends as a house warming gift when they get a new place.

I've talked quite a few people into making the switch.

13. Just be careful not to break one, mercury in them. Won't kill ya, but no good obviously.

14. Nice, keep it up :D