CFL Bagseed Stealth Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by RedeyeJedi90, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Been trawling this site for the last year gathering information and getting myself ready, then like a total noob decided to disregard half of it and just go for it. Funds are tight, I'm high and I want to grow.

The Set-Up

I didn't plan on starting this grow until later this year but saw this cabinet for sale in a second hand shop and thought it looked perfect. It needed a couple of modifications but nothing major. To start off I painted all the inside flat white as I had some paint lying round. There was a big hole in the back of this cabinet (not sure what it was for originally, I'll post pics later). I needed something to cover the hole that i could mount fans on and run a cable for my extension lead through. I found an old set top box that was the same width and half the height so I took it apart, glued the two pieces together and mounted it on the back of my cabinet. I attached 2 80mm computer fans to it which are both wired up to a 12v charger in a way that they draw about 6v each (i think), they are both used for exhaust up near the lights, I decided to go for a passive intake.

I have 2 30w 6500k CFLs at the moment both mounted onto a biscuit tin that is screwed to the bottom of a shelf in the cabinet, the cables all plug into an extension lead on top of this shelf.

The Plant

I started out with 10 bagseeds, on closer inspection a few had a bit of a close call with my grinder so i chucked em in some soil. The rest I used the paper towel method. One germinated after about a day and was put in soil, the rest didn't germinate so I ended up planting them since it turned out I was using my girlfriends favourite bowl for the paper towels :confused:

The germinated seed I planted broke through the soil a day later and has been growing under 60w of CFL for 56 hours now, it's about an inch tall and it's first set of proper leaves are just starting to show. I've only given it a couple of squirts of water and it's been basically touching the lights all the time and it's looking ok so far.

I'm hoping I'll be lucky and some more of these seeds will pop up over the next few days.

The soil I'm using is just some homebase brand John Innes seedling compost which i think I might try use for the whole grow as I have a huge bag. If I mix with some perlite and repot with it will it be ok?

I've still got quite a bit I need to buy, I need a new thermometer as it appears it-s broken, unless it really is -3 degrees everywhere and I am definitely looking into some more lights, possibly just 2 more 30w CFLs.

If anyone is interested in seeing I'll post up some pictures if anyone can help me get rid of the meta data on them, looked at the info and it's got my GPS co-ordinates and everything :eek:

I've got loads more I could say but I think I've gone on enough here, obviously any questions though, just ask.

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone on here for all the help too, I feel pretty prepared should anything go wrong after reading so many helpful posts :D