Certainty & Uncertainty

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Gloom, Jun 12, 2009.

1. #1 Gloom, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    Which are you more comfortable with, certainty or uncertainty?

Feel free to share why. :)

2. I define neither. Does that mean I'm uncomfortable with both?

3. #3 ArgoSG, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
    I replied that I'm more comfortable with uncertainty, but the question is phrased poorly to illustrate my position well. The issue is, I am uncomfortable with certainty. I think certainty is the foundation for many evils in our world. I prefer the word 'dogma' to describe the worst kind of certainty, the kind of certainty that never changes. There are all kinds of dogmas in our world. The dogma that marijuana should be criminalized. The dogma that killing those who disagree with you is favorable by divine authority. The dogma that certain ethnic groups are superior to others.

Of course, we are living beings and we need to make decisions large and small our entire lives. We make these decisions with the hope that they are done for good reasons. The more important the decision, the more we tend to criticize ourselves to reach a conclusion. But rarely is a reasonable person -certain- about something. Certainty is scary. The 9/11 hijackers are the types of people who are certain. The mothers who drown their children because they hear voices commanding them to do it are certain. Absolute certainty, or dogma, cannot be reasoned with, therefore it worries me more than anything else.

Now that I've poisoned the well so to speak, I'm curious to hear other's reasons for being comfortable with certainty.

4. In a round-a-bout manner of speaking we are all made as a result of uncertainties and probabilities.

5. I'm obviously more comfortable with certainty.

6. I'm comfortable knowing I know nothing in the grand scheme of things. I guess that makes me certain in my uncertainty.

7. I think I'm more comfortable with uncertainty because if i was certain about everything it would take the fun out of life i like not being sure about whats going to happen i mean you need to be certain about some stuff obviously but like ArgoSG said certainty can be scary

8. I'm comfortable with certainty, although I prefer uncertainty. :rolleyes:

9. If we are uncomfortable with uncertainty and comfortable with certainty, wouldn't it be beneficial to be empirical towards what is uncertain in order to make it certain?

10. Those conditions seem like a breeding ground for bias in the name of objectivity.

11. The biggest uncertaintys can never be certain, so when it matters, that venture would be fruitless.